Air bubble in egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahandstevie

5 Year Member
Hello I'm new :)

I have had 2 russian tortoise eggs in my incubator now for 69 days. One has been yellow all the way through and has never showed any signs of life :(

The other was orangey and developed what I think were a couple of veins on candling. For the last 3 weeks it has been very dark with a massive bubble across the top. Does the fact that it's changing mean that is fertile? And what is the maximum time it should hatch in 'cos I am just too excited! I am incubating at 32 degrees with 70% humidity.

Also, should I expect the air bubble to decrease in size as the days go on with the possible tortoise growing inside?

Many thanks for your help

Sarah

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Not sure how long to develop for a russian, but sounds to me like you have a hatchling on the way! My experience has been if the shell stays white, and it gets so dark inside you can no longer see light thru by candling, your gonna have a baby.

Keep an eye out for the PIP and good luck!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Actually the "air bubble" will increase in size as it gets closer to hatching time. What your seeing isn't really an air bubble, but the inner membrane that surrounded the embryo pulling down and being used up by the embryo. Once it's pulled down far enough the embryo will pip and you'll have a hatchling tortoise. :D

Danny

sarahandstevie

5 Year Member
Excellent, as the 'air bubble' was showing no signs of decreasing in size. Will await events and keep you posted. Thank you! Sarah

sarahandstevie

5 Year Member
Day 73... No hatchlings yet. However, my "bad" egg has exploded everywhere inside the incubator. Can this cause any problems for the suspected "good" egg? I have removed all signs of explosion as best I can but wasn't sure if I should let a bit more air in as it's a bit smelly :S

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Sarah

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's okay to let a bit more air in. :) Oh the fun of exploding eggs :D

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
exploding egg = not fertile, LOL some people cover the eggs they suspect are bad with paper towels so they don't make a huge mess when they explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.