bubble on the nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Has anyone every experienced bubble on their torts nose but the nose is relatively dry?

My tort, i sometimes see a bubble come out, the first time i saw it, brought her to the vet, but the vet said there is nothing wrong, bec her nose is dry. few days later there was a bubble again, again vet said nothing, he said if my tort has a cold her nose should be runny and there should be mucous...can anyone tell me what's wrong???

The bubble usually comes when she wakes up but it's one bubble only then nose is pretty much very dry...no runny anything coming out of her nose...she eats and poos fine...although she sleeps a whole lot but i think she seems normal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The inside of a tortoise's nose doesn't go down its throat like it does in mammals. It goes into the roof of the tortoise's mouth. Its quite common to see "stuff" or bubbles or a bit of saliva or whatever, come out of the nose occasionally.

samstar

5 Year Member
Happens to my torts to, could just be an allergy, just make sure it gets enough heat.

Gus

5 Year Member
It's RNS it can be due to stress or as what it can also due to allergy, try to sun bath it everyday

geekinpink

5 Year Member
She has sunbaths everyday and also has heating on her indoor enclosure. Can substrate cause allergies to them? Bec i'm using timothy hay and alfalfa hay...i thought that might be it...Maybe i could just use rubber mats? would that be not good for her? I cannot find the felted reptile mat i wanted to use and i don't know other substitute i could find...or i could just lay newspapers and forget the hays?

any suggestions?

samstar

5 Year Member
Feed her the right food, hibiscus is a good start and give her time to build up her imune system to fight this off. As long as she's eating and active it's a good sign. Off course this is if it's just clear bubbles.

radhika

5 Year Member
there is no problem using hay but if u feel so then u can use news papers, i use it. well if the little one is geting proper sun bath then i can be due to stress. u should make it sure that little one is not disturbed again and again. it should not be able to see u a lot it should b only at the time u feed it. try to see the little one in a way that it can not see u.

i also want to know the time u expose it to water and heat. as i can also be the reason for its nose bubbles.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
I soak her 2 times a week depending on the weather, water is warm and if i leave the water outside with her, the water remains warm through the sunrays (only part of the water so it's just warm not hot)...

Since i've posted this thread i have not seen the bubble yet, but I also moved her to her other enclosure where i only used newspapers...i am not sure if it's coincidence though... she also walks around more than when she was in the enclosure with hays...

in line with using newspapers, are they safe if they ingest it?

radhika

5 Year Member
geekinpink said:
I soak her 2 times a week depending on the weather, water is warm and if i leave the water outside with her, the water remains warm through the sunrays (only part of the water so it's just warm not hot)...

Since i've posted this thread i have not seen the bubble yet, but I also moved her to her other enclosure where i only used newspapers...i am not sure if it's coincidence though... she also walks around more than when she was in the enclosure with hays...

in line with using newspapers, are they safe if they ingest it?

first of all they dont do so, and if at all it is very safe no need to worry.
plz let your star feel like it is in wild. that mean do not stress it more as they can never become habitual of human around them.
if u will not feed them for 2 days it will go. but if they r stressed then they will b proned to illness.

ruanda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Portugal
radhika said:
(...)
. u should make it sure that little one is not disturbed again and again. it should not be able to see u a lot it should b only at the time u feed it. try to see the little one in a way that it can not see u.
(...)
Very well said! ;)
That's the right key for not stressing shy tortoises! ;)

samstar

5 Year Member
Gus said:
It's RNS it can be due to stress or as what it can also due to allergy, try to sun bath it everyday

Not necessary, with RNS usually you get mucous, the tort slows down, perhaps even stops eating.
It could just well be an allergy, to humid, dusty substrate that could be causing the bubbles. if it's eating fine and active, than it's fine.

Gus

5 Year Member
Oic really hope so :)

samstar said:
Gus said:

Not necessary, with RNS usually you get mucous, the tort slows down, perhaps even stops eating.
It could just well be an allergy, to humid, dusty substrate that could be causing the bubbles. if it's eating fine and active, than it's fine.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Could be anything. I have 8 platynota and I keep them outside year round (I'm lucky to live in Hawaii). 1 of mine blows a bubble like you are referring to once every other day like clock work. My vet suggested that I panacur, he said that the onset of worms in a tortoises gut could bring about RNS symptoms. I panacured all my animals and have not seen the bubbles on the nose since.
I hope I could help (who knows?)
Aloha

geekinpink

5 Year Member
How much panacur did you give?

My vet would not give anything at all unless we are sure it's RNS.

Ever since I posted my question I have been observing her and the bubbles go away. It usually occurs right after she wakes up. Then few minutes later there's nothing there, except sometimes when she munch on aloe vera. I also notice that her nose is runny when the weather here is bad...but it isn't the whole day... it would just be for a few minutes you'd see her nose runny then it'll be dry the rest of the day.

so yea, i have no idea...i've just followed people's advice to observe her, and she eats well, and very active (for a star at least). If I see her not acting like herself that's when I would panic! LOL

samstar

5 Year Member
geekinpink said:
How much panacur did you give?

My vet would not give anything at all unless we are sure it's RNS.

Ever since I posted my question I have been observing her and the bubbles go away. It usually occurs right after she wakes up. Then few minutes later there's nothing there, except sometimes when she munch on aloe vera. I also notice that her nose is runny when the weather here is bad...but it isn't the whole day... it would just be for a few minutes you'd see her nose runny then it'll be dry the rest of the day.

so yea, i have no idea...i've just followed people's advice to observe her, and she eats well, and very active (for a star at least). If I see her not acting like herself that's when I would panic! LOL

she seems fine from what your describing

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Yea she does, that's why i'm learning to calm down LOL... it's my very first tort and sometimes it makes me paranoid! I didn't have any idea how to take care of them...very glad i found this forum though :)

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I don't recall how much. I do treat with panacur every 8-10 months. There is a book called Understanding reptile parasites that I would recommend. Since I am not a vet I wouldn't feel right telling you what I do ( sorry). You might want to consult a vet and just let him/ her know what your doing. Panacur is available over the count here in Hawaii not sure if it's available where you live. Maybe your vet could tell you how to use it and you can take it from there
Good luck

Gus

5 Year Member
Aloha thats a Good Idea.

onarock said:
Could be anything. I have 8 platynota and I keep them outside year round (I'm lucky to live in Hawaii). 1 of mine blows a bubble like you are referring to once every other day like clock work. My vet suggested that I panacur, he said that the onset of worms in a tortoises gut could bring about RNS symptoms. I panacured all my animals and have not seen the bubbles on the nose since.
I hope I could help (who knows?)
Aloha

geekinpink

5 Year Member
I understand, I only ask bec. unfortunately, reptile vet here is hard to come by, in my area there isn't any at all! :( I can get panacur easily from a vet but she's a dog vet and does not know the dosage but willing to help...she's researching for me but she's very busy so I'm trying to help her ask people who've experience with panacur.

Gus

5 Year Member
Check your wall :)

geekinpink said:
I understand, I only ask bec. unfortunately, reptile vet here is hard to come by, in my area there isn't any at all! :( I can get panacur easily from a vet but she's a dog vet and does not know the dosage but willing to help...she's researching for me but she's very busy so I'm trying to help her ask people who've experience with panacur.

Status
Not open for further replies.