After Hibernation~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter951

5 Year Member
I decided to wake my torts. up today. It has been about 2 months? They were in hibernation around Thanksgiving time. Anyways... There are lots of weeds for them to eat. When they woke up Buster (one of them) opened one eye but the other eye had trouble opening. This happened with the other tort. too. When the torts. eyes were having trouble opening I got a damp paper towel and touched it against their eyes. As of now, their eyes are all open. I had a bowl of water out for them and when one (Buster) was in it.. a bubble came out of his nose. Im not sure if it was water or what, I have not seen another one yet. Their eyes are open. They are really slow right now. I haven't seen them eat or drink. Will they be eating or drinking soon?
Thanks! Any info. will be loved!

Hunter951

5 Year Member
I live in the Southern Part of California. San Diego County to be specific. :)

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Well I have a pan of water out in their pen. I gave them a plate of food and they both seemed to eat it. They have been laying in the water but not drinking it. When making their food I made sure to add lots of water onto it. So they have been taking in water through the greens they have been eating but not from the pan of water. I am out right now but my family is going to keep an eye on them. Thanks for your help!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Where were they brumating at? Indoors/outdoors? So are you going to keep them up now for the remainder of winter?

Some torts will take to food/water right away and others can take a week or two.....just make sure that they are in a controlled environment now that you can maintain warm temps and uv rays since you have woken them and fed them...

Hunter951

5 Year Member
They were in my garage. Which was not heated, just protected from the elements. Well it is about 80 degrees right now during the day but is supposed to be in the 60s coming up in about a week so I was thinking they sleep in the garage during the nights (to keep safe for the rest of the winter) and be in the yard on hotter days. But if it is a cold day they can stay in the crate they sleep in with food, water, and light. They are in the garage, in the crate, right now because it is night.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe that now that you have woken them, you will want to set up someplace that they can have heat during the day to warm up and bask and then night heat to keep them no lower than 70ish....and of course on the warmer days out for the day....

It is not unusual for a tort to be brought out of brumation for physical examination and even a water soak to offer hydration...and then dried and placed back to continue the winter season rest....however, if you have woken them, warmed them up, fed them--then now I believe you will need to facilitate a warm area for them...that is simply my take.

I would say that if it were closer to March and there are days that are a bit more consistently warm then placing them out during the day and inside a night box would be perfectly ok....but even though we are having a warm spell here in souther california, it is still only January and there is likely a chance of some additional winter weather....then again, we are in southern california so maybe not???lol

Also, if they had some slowness in opening an eye I would hesitate in allowing them to get too cold anyways..

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Ya. I am probably going to set up an enclosure with heat lamps tomorrow for them untill it is warm consistently.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh good ;) and just keep offering them water as well as you can do warm water soaks for 30 minutes + (keeping the water warm) until you feel they have hydrated and you spraying the food with water is also helpful....

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Well I got them a pen to be in while it is rainy and cold. It is placed in my garage. There is cardboard on the ground, then lots of newspaper. I have a heat rock (on low), a UV light, and 2 heat lamps. One heat lamp isn't really hot so thats why there is two. Anyways they have both been eating still. I havent seen them drink anything yet! Today I set up their new playpen while it is cold. I haven't seen Buster eat today. He looks at the food, nudges it with his nose, then walks away. My other tort. is eating away. I haven't seen either of them drink yet. I have seen one of them poo though. Should I be putting water into them? I am a little worried. They do seem to be running around. It might be that they are just warming up...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you been spraying their food with water each offering? How are their eyes doing now? Have you been doing warm water soaks? Have you taken temp readings in that pen to see if the temps are warm enough to sustain their bodily functions while you keep them awake for the remainder of the winter? Are either of them using the basking spots? Are your heat bulbs sufficient?

Hunter951

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Have you been spraying their food with water each offering? How are their eyes doing now? Have you been doing warm water soaks? Have you taken temp readings in that pen to see if the temps are warm enough to sustain their bodily functions while you keep them awake for the remainder of the winter? Are either of them using the basking spots? Are your heat bulbs sufficient?

Getting temps. Now! Stay tuned! He is eating right now, but he hasn't drank anything. I have been giving water with food. Their eyes are fine. The one is moving his head to his arm? They are using the lights. I believe they are, we had a tort. society person look at them. The temp is 76%.

DSCN5065 (2).jpg

DSCN5061 (2).jpg

DSCN5059 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mayday29150

5 Year Member
So y do u hibernate your torts. I never done it. What u got from pic. Is a yellow and a sully am I correct.

Hunter951

5 Year Member
They are the same breed. They are brother and sister. They are both Desert torts.
I hibernated them because it was easier for me at the time and they would only be eating store bought food, their weeds all froze.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My personal opinion concerning hot rocks is that the cords be cut off and they be used decoratively. They are an unreliable, inconsistent heat source. The rubbing of the eye/side of the face could just be normal rubbing or some irritant in that eye. Worth checking out. You should be able to do this without the need of a vet.
Did you track their weights while they were brumating? If so, I trust there was no worrisome weight loss. Start charting their weights now to take note of gains and any potential problematic weight loss that may come up. Keep us up to date.

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Ya. Right now it is on low just so it is sort of providing a heat source. I didn't track the weight, but wish I had.

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Well It is like 85 degrees outside so they are out. They are eating SOO Much right now. IT is crazy! I havent seen them drink, I have been giving them showers. They have been laying in water. I am pretty sure they are drinking but not around me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You are doing just fine....and they are a tort that has been hard wired to expect, utilize and even yes, some appear eager to get to their seasonal rest....brumation is a part of their life and if you have figured out a system that works for your torts and for you to facilitate brumation--then good for them and good for you as well...it is not a crime nor a negative part of their life circle to facilitate a healthy successful brumation for this species....

Sounds as though they are doing what they should when they are awake...just remember, I would keep their indoor set up in play until winter has officially departed...just in case we encounter a few more cold spells....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.