A letter to our veterinary clients (sarcastic)

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
You also have to remember that The office staff is the front lines, that means they take the blame for many things. my patients are sometimes totally different to the office staff and they are to me, good or bad. We could have two very different opinions of the same person or situation based on how our own interactions go. this does not excuse poor customer service by anybody but being on the front lines is difficult.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see your point Tom, but I think this letter was more just blowing off steam for frustrated employees. and it can point out issues to people who may be never gave their actions a second thought. I have always worked in service industry, and for the last 17 years in healthcare. I am very aware how irritating the public can be at times, and I try not to be one of those irritating people when I am on the other side. but I don't think this letter is sour grapes etc. if you yourself can honestly say that you never had a sarcastic or frustrated comment or feeling about a client, that you expressed to your coworkers etc. behind closed doors, then you deserve a medal. Great customer service can still be given even if people are a little annoyed or frustrated. It doesn't mean the show it. it happens 100 times a day for anybody who works with the public.

It certainly is blowing off steam, but it is also encouraging the wrong attitude. Of course I had moments of frustration and irritation. Of course I vented to friends about it. But this sort of sarcastic letter is a different matter in my opinion.

How do you think the paying customers would feel if they were to read this? Knowing that the staff had such disdain for them and such a persnickety attitude about everything. Such a demonstration of their malcontent attitude and how much they dislike everyone for every reason.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I took it as a joke.

Me too, but not a funny one. I took it as a mean spirited joke aimed squarely at the people who ultimately pay this person's wages. It shows a complete lack of respect for the very people who provide that paycheck every week.

I say help these ignorant people. Don't be sarcastic and make fun of them. Could not not "feel" it if you walked in the door of a vet clinic shortly after the staff had read something like this. The paying customers should not be the brunt of a mean spirited inside joke.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It certainly is blowing off steam, but it is also encouraging the wrong attitude. Of course I had moments of frustration and irritation. Of course I vented to friends about it. But this sort of sarcastic letter is a different matter in my opinion.

How do you think the paying customers would feel if they were to read this? Knowing that the staff had such disdain for them and such a persnickety attitude about everything. Such a demonstration of their malcontent attitude and how much they dislike everyone for every reason.
I don't think the customers are ever meant to read this. It's an inside joke. but I could also see it posted. Kind of like the little signs in stores or restaurants that read "directionmisbehaving children will be sold" or something along those lines. A bit of a good-natured jab making a subtle point.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think the customers are ever meant to read this. It's an inside joke. but I could also see it posted. Kind of like the little signs in stores or restaurants that read "directionmisbehaving children will be sold" or something along those lines. A bit of a good-natured jab making a subtle point.

I suppose that if customer service were not nearly extinct in our society, that "jokes" like this wouldn't matter so much.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I suppose that if customer service were not nearly extinct in our society, that "jokes" like this wouldn't matter so much.
I agree that customer service is definitely lacking, but the general conduct of public in general is also lacking. Ithat's why there's enough truth in this to make it funny. I think laughing out it situations can keep you from feeling bitter. . I don't think that this letter is meant to be mean spirited for disrespectful.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man in situations like this its best not to say anything . But damn man its a Joke if you don't like it don't read it . We were all having a good laugh and you Tom have pissed on our parade . Sorry man but some times you got to let things go . Life is too short to be so uptight.
Stay calm and laugh!
Hahahahaha.........

Turtlepete

South Florida
Tom, I can see what you mean, for some of the jokes mentioned here. However, things like bringing a sick child into a clinic where the child's sickness may infect others is just a complete lack of respect for anybody there, and really just very un-classy. Ignorant. Talking on the phone constantly when you are meant to carry a conversation about your sick pet with the vet, complaining about the bill, ignoring employee only signs, not bringing any money or credit cards, demanding a discount on spaying more then one animal, verbally abusing the staff…..yada yada….All of these things just show an entire lack of class, IMHO. There is really no excuse for it and I can't blame vet's one bit for getting frustrated with it.

What I do NOT like, is the vet's that insist their way is the only way, and get insulted if you present information from the internet, from another vet, mention breeder specifications, question anything, etc….That's a vet thats just unwilling to work with the client and it is a total lack of respect to the person that is, as you say, ultimately paying their paycheck. I think some vet's need to have a whole lot more compassion to their sometimes ignorant clients. Perhaps part of the issue is that people who become a vet want to work with animals, not people, and don't realize that their job is about working with people (the owners) just as much. I definitely agree with you on the premise that making jokes about the clients that pay their paychecks, just because they dislike how they handle their animals and how they may be ignorant about their care is definitely NOT the way to go about it. And making jokes about it is indeed disrespectful.

BUT, a lot of the members here are like me and don't really take things too seriously, so I don't think any of them think the same way as you on this. Sometimes ya' just got to take a joke as what it is :).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Man in situations like this its best not to say anything . But damn man its a Joke if you don't like it don't read it . We were all having a good laugh and you Tom have pissed on our parade . Sorry man but some times you got to let things go . Life is too short to be so uptight.
Stay calm and laugh!
Hahahahaha.........

How do you know if you are not going to like it until after you've read it?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Good point! Check mate!
But some times a joke is a joke . Not meaning to offend anyone . Just a good laugh at idiocracy of people . We all know this stuff happens some times, but if you can't see the humor in it maybe it's time to quit dealing with people .

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I just read this letter, it's kind of funny and there might be some reality in it, but it's almost a bad joke. If my vet were to post this in the waiting room, I would feel extremely offended.
According to my experience many of the mentioned things only need little or no changes to write the letter from a clients point of view.

Please feel free to stay on your cell phone as long as you like I have all day to wait for you. Handless headsets are preferred because it really makes it a challenge to figure out if you are talking to us or the person on the phone. Make sure I have to call back later to ask you all the questions I were trying to ask earlier.
My scheduled appointment time is just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore it and do as you please.
If you don't have the time to examine my pet, please do not tell me. I like the suspense of trying to figure out what you are going to do. Some times we run bets on it. So as you can see, calling and informing us of your intentions would just take the fun out of our day.

I love to make bets with friends or other clients in the veterinary hospital, it's a good way to kill waiting time.
The last time I was there with my cat (he had a broken leg), the vet told me they would examine him when they had some spare time and then call me to come pick him up, probably in the afternoon. Of course, I knew they wouldn't call me in the afternoon (my bet was that I could pick him up maybe the next day or the day after) but it took them a whole week. Not to mention I had to pay 250€ just because my cat was there for a week without any treatment. :confused:
Things like that happen all the time, that's the way it works.