we adopted a senior dog

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Isn't it nice having a dog that loves snow? They have so much fun and you don't have to shove them out the door when they have to be. I keep hearing people say they have to clear a spot of snow before their dog will go outside. It cracks me up. My dog goes out and doesn't care what the weather is doing.
She doesn't move well enough now to roll in the snow. Unless she falls over and then she does a little mini role. But then I have to go pick her up. But she tries. She's 15 now. Old dogs are great.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Our beloved Muttley was put to sleep yesterday. What a thanksgiving.......

20171119_154409.jpg

He started having grand mal seizures on Monday night. Then, all day Tuesday he had cluster seizures. 6 in a 24 hour period. Then a 7th shortly after. It was brutal.

My vet wasn't able to see him for a whole week so we went to the ER.

We did a full blood panel and the vet was impressed with the results. He had perfect levels.

Based on the seizures, other symptoms, his age etc..we concluded that it was likely a brain tumor. The vet couldn't confirm that without an MRI but it was highly likely.

We called his first owners to come and say their goodbyes.
They informed us that he was born in 2002 not 2005. That means he was almost 16!

We hospitalized him for the night and they pumped him with anti seizure meds. We enjoyed him for a last day, loved on him, cried with him then I hugged him while laying with him when he got the sleepy meds.

It's been a very hard few days for us. We loved this dog more than I can say.

My kids are 7 and 8 and just crushed. My husband and I are both weeping. We weren't ready for this.

20171117_130113.jpg

20171121_232558.jpg

I LOVE YOU MUTTLEY!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw geez, darn it. I've followed this story from the beginning and remember thinking what a lucky dog and that it seemed a match made in heaven. Rest in peace, Mutley. You were loved!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks everyone. We got to share our 'finding Muttley' story with a friend today and it was nice to go over the good memories.

If/when we are ready for another dog, it's got some huge paws to fill!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Mid January, we had finally healed enough from the loss of Muttley to start the search for our next dog.

We told Muttley's previous owners another "thanks again for a great dog" and mentioned that we had started looking for a dog.

We had a few adoption leads for dogs ranging from 1 to 3 years old.
But then one morning we got a call from Mutt's first owners. They had bought us a puppy!!! They said that after all we did for Muttley in his senior years, they wanted us to enjoy a dog from the beginning! They had been in touch with an Australian Shepherd breeder in Idaho and had reserved a male for us.

We gladly accepted their gift.
The kids are thrilled, over the moon, excited!

We named him Axel. 8 weeks of waiting never seemed so long.

2018-02-12-22-45-39.jpg
2018-02-12-22-43-45.jpg

He is a higher energy breed than I'm used to, so I'll have my work cut out for me. But it'll be a fun challenge for the whole family. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Melis

Maryland
Mid January, we had finally healed enough from the loss of Muttley to start the search for our next dog.

We told Muttley's previous owners another "thanks again for a great dog" and mentioned that we had started looking for a dog.

We had a few adoption leads for dogs ranging from 1 to 3 years old.
But then one morning we got a call from Mutt's first owners. They had bought us a puppy!!! They said that after all we did for Muttley in his senior years, they wanted us to enjoy a dog from the beginning! They had been in touch with an Australian Shepherd breeder in Idaho and had reserved a male for us.

We gladly accepted their gift.
The kids are thrilled, over the moon, excited!

We named him Axel. 8 weeks of waiting never seemed so long.

View attachment 230581
View attachment 230582

He is a higher energy breed than I'm used to, so I'll have my work cut out for me. But it'll be a fun challenge for the whole family. :)
What a wonderful thing to do! So exciting for your family :)

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
Just read this thread. I am sorry Muttley is gone. You had very good quality time with him. It is very kind for his former owners to gift you a puppy. When will Axel be ready to come home to you? We were given an Australian Cattle Dog a month ago. Howard is 6 1/2 months. He has been a positive addition to our family. But it sure is a lot of work training a puppy! I told my husband imagine how easy and quiet our lives would be if all we had were the turtles.