A few photos of my charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Everyone is munching on a mix of clover, polk salad, dandelion and endive.

These are the 4 cherryheads that I bred myself.

4cherriesjpg.jpg

Female Indian Star, Jasmine.

jasjpg.jpg

Male Indian Star, Jasper.

jaspjpg.jpg

My hatchling Leopard tortoise, dubbed Leo, but still looking for a unisexed name.

leojpg.jpg

The gray one on the left is Spike, maliuromastyx. The yellow one on the right is, Sonny, and Niger Yellow Uromastyx.

SSurosjpg.jpg

They are not keen on they paper towels. I need to pick up some sand.

After the Indian Stars are sold, the 4 cherries and the 1 leo will be the only torts I have and I have decided to keep it that way. I no longer have the time like I used to.

ARKelly

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
RE: A few photos or my charges

Your torts are beautiful and the lizards.. they look handsome! Thank you for sharing!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.

love the torts. also the uros, man i love those lizards, tortoises of the lizard world, ha

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas

Thanks guys. I also agree about te uros being the tortoise of the lizard world. They are awesome.

ARKelly

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I love your Cherryheads (actually I love all your tortoises), but we have a Cherryhead so I'm a little one sided. Wish you were going to see one of them. :D

Chadam

5 Year Member
I never knew there were so many different kinds of tortoise's until we found this site. Its really neat seeing everyone's torts.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really nice pics Kelly.
Your reptiles are beautiful, thanks for sharing :)
It is funny, in the last picture, it looks like Sonny is talking to Spike :D

desertsss

5 Year Member
Yah, he's sitting there saying, "That was my leaf buddy.".
Great pics, thanks so much for sharing, they are all so beautiful. :D

Lynn DeVries

5 Year Member
Iowa
Beautifull Animals Kelly!!

I have a lot of Uros:shy: and during the winter time, when they are all indoors I use wild birdseed as a substrate. A bigtime Uro guy told me about it a few years ago and it works really well! Uros eat seeds in the wild as part of their natural diet. So the birdseed acts as a substrate but they also occasionally nibble on it:)
And its cheap, oderless and dust free:D

I love those stars!!

Lynn

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kelly your reptiles are great. Thanks for sharing them with us. My heart is on the stars though. One day-one day. :)

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Lynn DeVries said:
Beautifull Animals Kelly!!

I have a lot of Uros:shy: and during the winter time, when they are all indoors I use wild birdseed as a substrate. A bigtime Uro guy told me about it a few years ago and it works really well! Uros eat seeds in the wild as part of their natural diet. So the birdseed acts as a substrate but they also occasionally nibble on it:)
And its cheap, oderless and dust free:D

I love those stars!!

Lynn

Thanks for the info Lynn. I have read that alot of people use millet, but I have been unable to find it is loose form. Normally it is just on that stick thing. LOL Bird seed is very easy to get though, so I might have to try it. I usually use sand so they can dig and all, but what a dusty mess.

How many and what kind of uros do you have? I want to obtain myself some Ornates one day.

ARKelly

Lynn DeVries

5 Year Member
Iowa
Hi Kelly!

Yeah that sand is messy and Heavy too! Just regular wild bird seed is fine. I use the stuff that has a minimum of Sunflower seeds as they dont seem to eat those much but it contains a large quantity of millit seed too. Its funny to watch them when they are first on the new substrate, they run around picking out different ones like a kid in a candy store:p
If you give them a tub full of sand with a hole in the cover they burrow in it and the tub contains most of the dust. And it ptovides a nesting place too:D
I have about 40 Uros of 4 diff species, Egyptian, Morracan, Mali and Saharan. They all do great on it:D
I have 2 Reptile Vets and they say they see alot of Uros come into the Clinic with sand impaction and varying degrees of dehydration. So mine always have access to a water bowl and the food is placed on the birdseed so if it sticks to the food, No worries:)

Lynn

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
I had Hubby buy some seed while at wal-mart today. I do not think it is enough for the entire enclosure, but it will be when I buy more. :)

I also keep a water bowl in the enclosure weather others say not to. I beleive all living things should have access to water all the time.

Do you use undertank heaters? If so, what do you keep over that area to lesson the chances of burning? I figured they would rake the seed out when they had a chance.

ARKelly

Lynn DeVries

5 Year Member
Iowa
ArkansasKelly said:
I had Hubby buy some seed while at wal-mart today. I do not think it is enough for the entire enclosure, but it will be when I buy more. :)

I also keep a water bowl in the enclosure weather others say not to. I beleive all living things should have access to water all the time.

Do you use undertank heaters? If so, what do you keep over that area to lesson the chances of burning? I figured they would rake the seed out when they had a chance.

ARKelly

Hi Kelly

I have the birdseed about an inch deep in the indoor enclosures, and with the sand tub they get lots of digging done:) I use undertank heaters with a thermostat on all of my Blue Tongue Skinks and Gila Monsters, but not on the Uros as their enclosures are open top 2'x4'x2'hi plywood cages and they lend themselves to overhead lights for both heat and warmth. The Blue Tongues and Gila Monsters all do very well with undertank heaters, but I have never tried Uros that way.

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.