9 month old hermann, very active, but doesn't eat alot.

Matthew Rees

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Hi, I'm new here.
I'm hoping someone can help me out.
I have a 9 month hermann tortoise, very active, climbing her house, splashing in and out of her water dish, running about when I let her out.
She stays in her vivarium most of the time, but I've been keeping a close eye on her eating.
She doesn't eat alot, leaves her dandelions, leaves beetroot leaf, doesn't really eat her rocket.
But gobbled up her cucumber and Romaine lettuce, although I only add this in small amounts.
However I've cut them out recently to get her to eat the other stuff.
She doesn't seem fussed, I've even tried to trick her by juicing the cucumber over her food. No luck.
Do I just stick to what I'm doing or go back to feeding her cucumber and romaine?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
How often do you give her a soak?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Cucumber has a lot more sugar in it than weeds. It’s a good food on occasion but can be like candy to a tortoise, Romaine is similar in that is sweeter than some other lettuces and weeds.

Lots of tortoises won’t eat beetroot leaves, I wouldn’t worry about that.

Do you have access to any “Crispy Florettes” salad mix? It’s got some greens in there that are better for her than romaine. She probably won’t love them at first, they are bitter like dandelions.

Tortoises can be very stubborn about food; they can also go much longer without food than humans and be just fine. I know it’s hard but you are going to have to show some tough love here until she starts eating some different foods. Stay strong!

Matthew Rees

Wales
Cucumber has a lot more sugar in it than weeds. It’s a good food on occasion but can be like candy to a tortoise, Romaine is similar in that is sweeter than some other lettuces and weeds.

Lots of tortoises won’t eat beetroot leaves, I wouldn’t worry about that.

Do you have access to any “Crispy Florettes” salad mix? It’s got some greens in there that are better for her than romaine. She probably won’t love them at first, they are bitter like dandelions.

Tortoises can be very stubborn about food; they can also go much longer without food than humans and be just fine. I know it’s hard but you are going to have to show some tough love here until she starts eating some different foods. Stay strong!
Thank you, she definitely is stubborn, I can get Crispy Florettes, I'll just have to add it to my next essential food shop, with everything going on

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You can always add in some coriander if it‘s available and see what happens. Some tortoises like it.