How to make my baby tortoise eat food

Emily7tortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Palistine
Hello. I have a baby tortoise which is about a year old and she had been very healthy and eating everyday but one day we got cut out off lettuce because it was out of town so she didn't eat for three days even though through these three days I tried to feed her many things like cucumber and carrots and she would refuse now she have a problem with opening her eyes due to lack of food and today we got lettuce finally and I spent about an hour trying to feed her but she doesn't try and at this point I feel like she is messing with me because when I put her on the counter she tried to eat the table but whatever there is real food she doesn't want to eat it. What should I do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to give us a lot more info
Temps, all over, basking, night?
Substrate?
Humidity?
What kind of lights and heat are you using?
Other than lettuce which is not a good only food source what else has she been fed?
Post a pic of her so we can ID her. We can help without knowing what species and all the answers I asked for

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello. I have a baby tortoise which is about a year old and she had been very healthy and eating everyday but one day we got cut out off lettuce because it was out of town so she didn't eat for three days even though through these three days I tried to feed her many things like cucumber and carrots and she would refuse now she have a problem with opening her eyes due to lack of food and today we got lettuce finally and I spent about an hour trying to feed her but she doesn't try and at this point I feel like she is messing with me because when I put her on the counter she tried to eat the table but whatever there is real food she doesn't want to eat it. What should I do?
When they are not eating, it is usually due to temperatures. What are your four temperatures? What are you using to heat and light the enclosure?

Emily7tortoises

Palistine
When they are not eating, it is usually due to temperatures. What are your four temperatures? What are you using to heat and light the enclosure?
We usually don't use any thing for heating because the room she is out in is quite warm compared to any room in the house plus if it was about temperature why would she try to eat the table

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We usually don't use any thing for heating because the room she is out in is quite warm compared to any room in the house plus if it was about temperature why would she try to eat the table
They must have a heat source and proper temperatures when housed indoors. If you don't make some immediate changes to how you are housing this tortoise, it is not likely to survive.

Read these two threads:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hi, can you tell us where you are? We don't need a specific address, but understanding where in the world you are may help a bit. Your location is given as Palestine - if that means in the Middle East, then getting the resources you need for your tortoise could be a challenge at the moment. If that means Palestine, Texas that's a different story. Everyone here is trying their best to help you, but we really need more information. Please understand that a tortoise is not something you can just bring into your house like a dog or cat and expect it to survive. They have very particular needs which includes a proper enclosed chamber with special lights and heat. Having it just be in room temperature in your home is unlikely to work.

Emily7tortoises

Palistine
Hi, can you tell us where you are? We don't need a specific address, but understanding where in the world you are may help a bit. Your location is given as Palestine - if that means in the Middle East, then getting the resources you need for your tortoise could be a challenge at the moment. If that means Palestine, Texas that's a different story. Everyone here is trying their best to help you, but we really need more information. Please understand that a tortoise is not something you can just bring into your house like a dog or cat and expect it to survive. They have very particular needs which includes a proper enclosed chamber with special lights and heat. Having it just be in room temperature in your home is unlikely to work.
I do live in Palestine middle east and it is a big struggle to find help for them especially my late tortoise which is in peace sadly I tried to get her anything like claucim because she had metabolic bone disease but there was no clinics that helped tortoises and they kept saying that she was just underfed even though I fed her every day so now I am trying my best to care for them before they get any diseases and not to mention I am not at an older age as I am still in school but still taking care of them

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Do you have any weeds like dandelions growing near you at the moment which are free? The links Tom sent you will help with diet as well as everything else and
www.thetortoisetable.co.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods. It's based on UK plants but you may have some in common and it will help you ID weeds and other plants.
A good source of calcium is the cuttlefish bone are sold for caged birds. You only need a small pinch a couple of times a week so you could scrape a little on his food.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Are you able to post a photo of your enclosure where it lives? Agree with above about weeds.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Is your tortoise still alive? If so, can you please try to post some pictures for us so we can help you better? But most importantly, please give it a long, warm water soak in a tub it can't climb out of. The water should be up to where the top and bottom shells meet. Watch it to make sure it does not flip over, and soak it for at least half hour. This should be done every day.