Please remind me patience is a virtue when adjusting diet!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I am trying to adjust my outdoor Russian to eat a larger (eventually all) diet of weeds and safe foods.

It's slow going, right now the only "safe" foods she'll eat from me are cactus and squash leaves and blossoms; she'll eat roses, but I don't think she needs any more flowers. She's having a large time eating desert primroses in the yard right now. (I'm sure that's what I'd choose myself; they smell great).

I've tried finely chopping, mixing in a little of one new food only, grating over cucumber, tossing everything in cucumber juice and cactus mash. "NO THANKS," she says, and that's when she's being polite!

Her purchased foods have included turnip greens, dandelions, collards, cress, okra, and various chicories. She's been getting less of these over the last month but it hasn't improved her appetite for weeds.

I have tried a large variety of weeds and safe foods. Occasionally she'll eat thistles. She's sampled a little bindweed; "I only like the kind with the pink flowers, lady!" She won't eat "regular" weedy dandelions. :confused:

Her weight gain has slowed but not stopped; she's active and healthy.

She's going to adjust...eventually, right? The vet said she'd be less choosy as the weather gets hotter.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
so she's eating the good stuff but not as much. then don't worry she's eating she's gaining weight it's all going good.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes, she will be fine. What's important is that you don't give in.

Add a tiny amount of the food you want her to eat, chopped up very small, to things she will eat. Make sure the stuff she will eat is wet so it all sticks together. Once she's eating that, increase the amount. Eventually you'll be able to start reducing the proportion of less desirable foods.

If she refuses to eat at all, soak her twice a day for a good 20 minutes each time so she stays hydrated.

Believe me they're determined little wotsits ... you're doing the right thing. We're here to support you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One of the funnest things about tortoise keeping is feeding our charges. When they get picky and don't eat, its very frustrating. We all want to see them clean their plate, right?

They all get less picky over time, if you introduce the new foods and exercise months of patience. I have a saying around my place here: "A picky tortoise is a hungry tortoise." Guess how many of my tortoises are picky...