78.5 gallons of tortoise loving goodness ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkly

5 Year Member
k good news guys and dolls i have a 78 gallon tank 18w/21h/4ft long and im in contact with a breeder in newjersey who has egyptian torts who apperently are the smallest in the world and are on the critically endangered list one thing im curious about is the moonlight u can get the blue night bulb instead of the red to simulate day time and night time more accuratley and does any one no where u can get big bags of sand thats reptile safe cuz my stores only carry the 10 pound bags and i honestly dont feel like buying multipile sacks of sand but will do it if i have to may loose this breeder as he seems to be pushing the sail and i want to make sure i have all the right set up before even getting my tortoise sincerly the now officially obsessed with the thought of owning a galapagose one day years from now but in all seriousness will have to will my future house and land to who ever will keep him for me as he will definatley out live me
lol
ttfn let me now your thoughts :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Darkly:

I don't think we ever got your name.

My first reaction was not to let anyone pressure you into a purchase. Yes, Egyptians are a little scarce and probably more so in Canada, but don't buy until you're ready. Don't allow yourself to be rushed into it before you are ready for it.

I don't know anything about keeping Kleinmani, so I can't speak to using sand as a substrate. There are a couple folks on the forum who know these things. I think that Tim/Robin raise them, and probably egyptiandan has the knowledge. You might send them a PM and ask them to read this thread. You can send Ed an email ([email protected]). He's usually willing to share info.

Good luck. Its a worthy endeavor!

I just realized that your breeder is in the States. I think you'd better check the import laws. Canadian members here have stated that they can't get tortoises from the U.S.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sand is not normally a good substrate. I don't keep Egyptians, but other species have a problem with sand and impaction...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think its time to read read read and read some more. :)
There was a great article just written by one of our members.. its on the first page of the forum when you first check in.
someone can post the link im sure.
its a great place to start reading.
and welcome!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
darkly said:
let me now your thoughts :p

Proper spelling and punctuation will go a long way towards making your posts more readable, and therefore, more productive. My 2 cents.

darkly

5 Year Member
:(true but as i have failed in both of those cuz i have a slight learning disability thanks for pointing it out to the world

Shelly said:
darkly said:
let me now your thoughts :p

Proper spelling and punctuation will go a long way towards making your posts more readable, and therefore, more productive. My 2 cents.

maggie3fan said:
Sand is not normally a good substrate. I don't keep Egyptians, but other species have a problem with sand and impaction...

well these guys are dessert tortoises and sand and peat moss as come recommended but thanks for letting me know i will definatley look into it

emysemys said:
Hi Darkly:

I don't think we ever got your name.

My first reaction was not to let anyone pressure you into a purchase. Yes, Egyptians are a little scarce and probably more so in Canada, but don't buy until you're ready. Don't allow yourself to be rushed into it before you are ready for it.

I don't know anything about keeping Kleinmani, so I can't speak to using sand as a substrate. There are a couple folks on the forum who know these things. I think that Tim/Robin raise them, and probably egyptiandan has the knowledge. You might send them a PM and ask them to read this thread. You can send Ed an email ([email protected]). He's usually willing to share info.

Good luck. Its a worthy endeavor!

I just realized that your breeder is in the States. I think you'd better check the import laws. Canadian members here have stated that they can't get tortoises from the U.S.

i asked the gent who im in contact with and he says it will have no issue as they have sent these guys across boarders to canadians but i will check that out also i sent an email to egyptian dan and my name is Katie thanks for asking and i made it clear to this gentalmen that im not rushing into things as i want to make sure i have the most knowledge possible so that this dude can live a nice happy life thanks for all the advice its greatly appreciated

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
:(true but as i have failed in both of those cuz i have a slight learning disability thanks for pointing it out to the world

I have a learning disability too, and sometimes it takes me a long time to post something. Half of everything I write is misspelled, and backwards. Concentrate, and you can do it.;)

I hope you get your Egyptians. I would love to have one...some day.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.