Thank goodness for the TFO!

NoxidMullac

Location (City and/or State)
London
6 months ago I acquired two baby Leopard tortoises (mistake no.1) after reassurances from the breeder that of all the tortoise species, Leopards in particular do well in pairs owing to their placid nature. I am from the UK and took a lot of time to research a reputable breeder and did not hesitate to follow the advice provided word-for-word (mistake no.2). My babies seemed healthy and happy with no outward signs of ill health or distress, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that they were not “thriving” in my care. The first thing that alerted me to this was their poor weight gain and more recently their slow and sluggish behaviour. So I did what I do best, and researched! Call me old fashioned, but I have always been sceptical handling online information and so my source of knowledge has always been in books and the local library. And so I read, and read, and read. It quickly became apparent that these texts were long outdated and the advice was clearly archaic. Frustrated, I didn’t know where to turn until, by absolute chance, I stumbled across the Tortoise Forum! I have only been here one week and already I have learned more during this time than I have in the past year. The Leopard Care Sheet from Tom is an outstanding resource, and so too is the “beginners mistakes”. It became clear to me reading through a variety of threads and topics how experienced many of the keepers here are, and how generous you all are with your time and expertise. I am deeply upset and angry with myself that I have made these mistakes, but I am thankful that I have found this resource which will enable me to rectify these quickly ... in fact, I have made a start and already seeing results!!

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and give you my sincerest gratitude. I look forward to continuing my learning among this wonderful community.
Many thanks,
Callum (from the UK)

Attachments

• 8FE284DA-28C1-4EC7-B504-D55706E65938.jpeg
    8FE284DA-28C1-4EC7-B504-D55706E65938.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • B47E4260-4967-4354-B541-19F2AA8533DD.jpeg
    B47E4260-4967-4354-B541-19F2AA8533DD.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome Callum, even in the pics it looks like one is trying to dominate the other.
You are right though. I to was misled on caring for Opo.
I finally stumbled across TFO and got the proper info.
The members here are great and want to help you and your tort to have a great experience.

Quadro

SC
Welcome glad you found TFO ! I haven’t been a member for very long here but I can say if seeing is believing then I’m a believer. I have tried out the information on here and IT WORKS !

NoxidMullac

London
Welcome Callum, even in the pics it looks like one is trying to dominate the other.
You are right though. I to was misled on caring for Opo.
I finally stumbled across TFO and got the proper info.
The members here are great and want to help you and your tort to have a great experience.

Thank you for your message Ray. I think you’re absolutely right (regarding the domination) and the very first thing I did last week was separate them! The second action, one I am currently in the process of doing, is to change their housing from an open tortoise table (sold by the breeder) to a closed chamber - I have covered their existing enclosures in an old plastic greenhouse that I had spare, and already the temperatures and humidity are much improved. I just wish I knew this information from the start, but most importantly I know it now. And hopefully not too much damage has been caused!

NoxidMullac

London
Welcome glad you found TFO ! I haven’t been a member for very long here but I can say if seeing is believing then I’m a believer. I have tried out the information on here and IT WORKS !
That’s so encouraging to hear, thank you for sharing! And I’m so pleased that you are benefiting as well ☺️

NoxidMullac

London
Welcome to the Forum, Callum!

Thank you Yvonne. I’ve been meaning to message actually; you wrote an excellent post a few years back that I recently came across outlining the more subtle behaviours of dominance among tortoises. I recognised this instantly in my pair and have since separated them. I’m sure they will both be a lot happier now, so I cannot thank you enough ?