4th Annual TTPG Conference

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Well, with Yvonne declining several small excursion from me in the past, even a matinee in town, let alone trips to trade shows and a hosted day, weekend, or week in San Diego, this following offer may not be well received. . .

But if you are in the San Diego area, and don't mind a ride in my safe car, I'd be happy to offer a ride, and perhaps accommodation sharing for the conference and show. Maybe leave San Diego the evening of the 13th (Wednesday), and come back Saturday/Sunday the 16th/17th. Thursday and Friday for the conference Saturday for the show, drive back Saturday or Sunday? It's about 6 hour drive, I've done it a few times, it's no big deal.

PM or e-mail to respond.

Umm Yvonne, if you are there, well that will amazing. That barn condition you have mentioned a few times, hope you get over it.

Will

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I think I need to plan on going. It sounds like a wonderful venue to meet like minded people.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I'm planning to go this year. It's not going to be easy though, it's probably a 15-20 minute drive for me. :p

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to get a table at the reptile show on the weekend too.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
JeffG said:
I'm planning to go this year. It's not going to be easy though, it's probably a 15-20 minute drive for me. :p

I still trying to decide if I'm going to get a table at the reptile show on the weekend too.

That's a rough 20 minute drive though if you take Mesa Dr. That's been under construction for forever.

Oh and Jeff, I heard there would be some ploughshares this year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Will: You are correct, I am extremely barn sour. I never go anyplace. And I'm going to be worried about my animals/house, etc. the whole time I'm gone. This is a terribly stressful thing I'm planning on.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
They just announced that Ed Pirog will be speaking. Personally, I will be looking forward to that.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The schedule was just posted on Facebook.

The first day looks really good. The second, not bad either. Should be a good conference.

2013 TTPG CONFERENCE on CAPTIVE CARE and BREEDING of TURTLES and TORTOISES

SPEAKER SCHEDULE

Thursday, November 14, 2013

8:30 to 9:00 am – mingle and continental breakfast

9:00 am – WELCOME (TTPG) Russ Gurley

KEYNOTE 9:15 to 10:00 am – Phil Goss “Us vs. T.H.E.M. - The Anti-Pet Agenda”

10:00 to 10:30 am – Fred Caporaso PhD - “Galápagos Tortoise Update: Lonesome George is Gone, but Sound Science and Serendipity May Spell Recovery for These Gentle Giants!”

10:30 to 11:15 am – Barry Downer (Tulsa Zoo) “Studbooks and the Private Hobbyist”

11:15 am to 12:00 pm - Carl Franklin “The Herpetoculture of an Enigmatic Venezuelan Endemic the Zulia toad-headed Turtle (Mesoclemmys zuliae) Past, Present and Future Directions”

* Isolated in the Maracaibo Basin this interesting side necked turtle has maintained a low profile from local inhabitants as well as many herpetologists. In 2006 and 2007 a pair was acquired during a scientific collecting expedition and brought back to the United States at the insistence of our Venezuelan colleagues. Since then there have been multiple reproductive events that have resulted in the only known captive bred specimens of this turtle in the world. This was achieved by utilizing an interdisciplinary approach to their herpetoculture. The insights gained from these experiences are likely to prove useful towards the successful herpetoculture of other South American toad headed turtles.

12:00 to 1:30 pm – LUNCH

1:30 to 2:00 pm – TBA

2:00 to 2:30 pm - Ed Pirog - “Notes on the Captive Husbandry of the Chaco Tortoise (Chelonoidis chilensis)”

2:30 to 3:15 pm – Deb Sydney “Conquering Mother Nature: Electrical Wiring, Heating and Cooling”

* Wiring inside lighting that mimics the natural outside light cycle, wiring a temperature-controlled African wintering building that automatically handles 85 degrees one day and 42 degrees the next, and wiring a temperature-controlled brumation building that automatically switches from bringing in cold outside air, to running an air-conditioner to running a heater.
3:15 to 3:45 pm - John Coakley “Keeping and Breeding Egyptian Tortoises”

3:45 - 4:00 pm - BREAK

4:00 to 5:00 pm – Cord Offermann DVM “Case Studies Involving Turtles and Tortoises”

5:00 to 5:15 pm – Pete Jansema “Waterlandtubs and Their Application in Turtle Breeding”

5:15 to 5:45 pm – Tomas Diagne (African Chelonian Institute) “The Search for Cyclanorbis elegans, Africa’s Rarest Aquatic Turtle

5:45 to 6:15 pm - DISCUSSION regarding the FDA ban on the sale of turtles under 4” moderated by Richard Fife.

From Richard Fife: “I probably spent over 8 years working on this and have a lot of correspondence from the federal government including the FDA. President Bush even forced the FDA to review my petition. I was also involved with the Louisiana Turtle Breeders who were working on this issue. To make a long story short it is a political issue for the federal government and each state has their individual ordinances. Once you deal with the federal regulation then you must also deal with each state. There are plenty of legal loopholes in the federal law but again you must then deal with each state’s laws (some are very strict and other aren’t). It is actually a very involved issue.”

We will also hear from Bob Ashley of the NARBC reptile shows in California, Illinois, and Texas and Pete Jansema from Waterlandtubs regarding his citation by California Fish & Game agents at Sacramento Reptile Show in September.

6:30 to 8:00 pm - Dinner together or on our own

FRIDAY, November 16, 2012

8:30 to 9:00 am – mingle and continental breakfast

9:00 to 9:30 am - Christine Light (Behler Chelonian Center) “TBA”

9:30 to 10:00 am – Paul Vander Schouw (TTPG) “Notes on a New Incubator Design”

10:00 to 10:30 am – Robert Villa “Tortuga de la Sierra Madre: What We Know About the Spotted Box Turtle (Terrapene nelsoni)”

10:30 to 11:00 - Chuck Schaffer “A Trip Down the Rio Negro”

11:00 to 11:15 pm – TBA

CONCLUSION - Russ Gurley

11:30 pm to 1:30 pm – lunch banquet and banquet speaker:
Carl Franklin (Biological Curator and Collections Manager of the Amphibian and Reptile Diversity Research Center at the University of Texas Arlington)

“Custodian of Eden? Or a Preposterous Pipedream?

Since the earliest recorded human activities at Olduvai humans have largely maintained an exploitative relationship with turtles regardless of sustainability. With a population of Homo sapiens that increases each year so do the direct and indirect pressures on our planet’s current turtle populations. Fortunately there are plenty of places and ways that the concerned cheloniphile can direct his or her energies to make a lasting impact for future generations of turtles and tinkering primates alike. Such is the endeavor of one turtle man who thinks he has a way of helping future generations of Texans appreciate the priceless nature of one of the most endangered rivers in the United States while providing a viable future for some amazing turtles.

Carl J. Franklin is a herpetologist, biological curator and collections manager of the Amphib¬ian and Reptile Diversity Research Center at the University of Texas Arlington. He has worked at the Fort Worth Zoo and Dallas Zoo depart¬ments of herpetology and El Serpentario de La Paz in Baja California. He has published several popular and technical publications as well as two books about turtles. He has also provided lec¬tures and presentations about some of our often misunderstood wildlife to hundreds of audiences and all age groups. Asides from numerous out¬reach programs Carl has assisted with several wildlife documentary television programs, local news broadcasts and motion pictures pertaining to reptiles and amphibians. An avid outdoors¬man and native Texan, Carl most enjoys spending time in the field with his family and friends. Especially in places where there are turtles.

Don’t forget that Saturday, November 16 and Sunday, November 17 is the PHOENIX REPTILE EXPO. There will be an amazing variety of cap¬tive-bred animals, supplies, books, and gifts. We hope you will join us there after the conference!

The Expo auction on Saturday night will benefit TTPG, THE BATAGUR, the 2014 TTPG Confer¬ence and other TTPG programs.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
OK so I have some random/nerdy questions....

Are we allowed to bring our tortoises for fun? :rolleyes:
Do you have to pay to get in? If so, where do we purchase tickets?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
No, the hotel will not allow live animals.

Yes, the conference is $80 for members of TTPG and $100 for non members I think. Check their website. You pay through Paypal.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have seen where you can pre-register through Zoomed, but isn't there somewhere to purchase tickets ahead of time? I thought I had seen it before, but I can't find it now.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think you just send them $80 if you're a member or $100 if you're a non-member through Paypal. Their paypal address can be found on their website or Facebook page. Just put "conference registration" in the note section.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My wife is telling me if I pay the 100.00
She only has to pay 20.00 a day to attend . Is that true ?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh man. This looks like an awesome conference. Bummers.
This chelonian fan will have to plan for next year, hopefully with fellow So Cal tort peeps.
Please let us know if any of these lectures become available for sale or for viewing after the fact.
Chacos.Ploughshares.4 inch Law.Egyptians.Case Studies.Galapagos.Behler.
I'm dying here. Must.Go.2014.