4th Annual TTPG Conference

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I want to thank the ones that said hi today . I think it was great and very informative today . And please look for the ponytail and say Hi tommarow. I hope everybody else was happy today

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
So jealous!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I thought today was pretty good. There were a couple of dry talks, but overall I thought it has been one of the better conferences.

I had to leave early, so I'm sorry I didn't get to say hi to everyone. It was good to meet Whitney Jeff and Will. I'll have my name badge on tomorrow so look out for me and say hi.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My wife told me not to write on my forehead with a sharpie. My name is Dave. I have a beard and will be wearing a white baseball cap. Hope to meet you guys tomorrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm the guy sitting in the back, looking like I'm up to no good...

Lots of TFO members this year. I'm really glad to see that.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What I want to know is who's minding the shop while you owners are out enjoying BBQ, green beer, and mingling? I mean, I want to go to the TSA in Daytona next year, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around my torts care while I'm gone. What do some of you do about your animals?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That's why I got up at 3:30am this morning was to feed and water this morning and yesterday
And when my wife go out of town my step son (31 yrs old ) gets the job
( that is if my wife lets me go with her)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sibi said:
What I want to know is who's minding the shop while you owners are out enjoying BBQ, green beer, and mingling? I mean, I want to go to the TSA in Daytona next year, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around my torts care while I'm gone. What do some of you do about your animals?

That's what spouses are for! :D

Don't worry though. When my wife goes out of town, I take care of all her animals. Its a fair deal.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Very good day yesterday, long but good!

Excited for today's tortoises festivities! If you're having trouble finding people I'm pretty much the youngest person there (bedsides the sea turtle students). Haha Just look for me, I'll be with Tyler and Neal. :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Re: RE: 4th Annual TTPG Conference

sibi said:

Well for one, myself, my wife can do more than be beautiful, she did not want to hear all the talks, she'll do fine with my 2 minute wrap up per talk.

My meeting name tag is my very mysterious user name, I sit up front with all the geeks. Today's shirt will be dark purple and blue tie dye T-shirt, with another powder blue shirt worn over.

I tell you what, I'd have been able to pick GPturtle144 out of a much larger crowd, you have the best avatar image.

This has been a weird time machine like event, meeting people again I had not seen since the mid 80's. Meeting some folks live only known for 20 years via the phone or e-mail. Some had done big professional favors for me in the past, and it's good to shake their hand and say thanks, again, but with eye contact this time.

I had grown very fatigued with all the politics of past big meetings. The last I attended was the formation meeting in what later became the TSA. Some NYTTS annual seminars since, but . . .

Russ has pulled together something really special here, somehow, and I frankly hope it stays the way it is. Some speakers are a bit shaky, but that is the mark of Russ finding source people who are real cheloniophiles, not polished politicians.

The US ARK guy, big job ahead - chelonians not the lightening strike urgency of much of that fire abatement effort. But he seems to be as up to speed as possible. Fife's talk on the 4 inch law with a few other quick comments by others, was not optimistic at all.

The species specific talks were excellent POV insight to Egyptians, and Chacos, and a rare toad head. The guy who spoke on studbooks does not fully appreciate how great his own perspective is, I can wish he will get on the chelonian TAG, for a better future with how it is supposed to work. Two talks on galops in nature, I saw a seminar in 2009 that trumpt one talk without the new POV of on the ground actions just now implemented. A charter school teacher, making me wish I was in K-12 again with his talk about leading kids on some seriously cool multi week field trips doing turtle things among others. Three talks on nuts and bolts issues - building incubators, climate controlled buildings, and using tubs for turtles and tortoises, all good if not technical. Another talk regarding the political and awarness struggle to say "Hey, these are rare" lets do something, for the African flapshell softshell turtles, some not documented from the wild for many years.

Today will be some seroius candy too, I'll report.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great summation Will.

I have been to a few CTTC meetings and reptiles lectures before, but nothing like this TTPG conference. Since year one, I have been blown away by the abundance of insight and quality information. Since I really have no frame of reference to measure against, I'm glad to know from someone with your level of experience that this is indeed, a special occasion here.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Tom said:
I'm the guy sitting in the back, looking like I'm up to no good...

Lots of TFO members this year. I'm really glad to see that.

Tom, everyone in the back row looked like they were up to no good, so I'll need to see who you are today.
:p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
immayo said:
Haha Just look for me, I'll be with Tyler and Neal. :)[/color]

We talked about it last night, and you're not allowed to sit with us unless you bring some snacks.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Today's talks all had a teaser feel to them for me, each could have been more on the topic, but I can also get it that people might be tired of sitting and listening.

Three natural history themes, Angulate/ Bowsprits, spotted box turtles, and AZ natives, sorta a fourth too, in that the keynote talk was on Texas species so not a regular talk, but the keynote.

Two health talks, one on the edema in Galops, and a few case studies that showed up in a private practice.

Cool husbandry talk on K. Homeana.

My favorite today was the spotted box turtle talk, more on how it made me evaluate my own interests, but great fun to see too.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I hope I caught up with and said hi to everyone on TFO.

It was a really good conference. It's hard to sit down all day and listen to people talk, but I really enjoy the social aspect and meeting other tortoise peoples. They mentioned that next year they want to try and do a three day event. I hope to meet up with all of you again.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Agree, enjoyable conference. Also great to meet fellow TFOers.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Had a blast today!! It was nice to meet everyone :)

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Really great conference. Everyone needs to go at least once. It was great meeting the TFO members there, as well as some really great presentations. We still have the expo going on over the weekend, so it's not over yet. I have to admit, I'm probably hooked on this conference for life. Neal is a bit questionable though. I would recommend keeping yiour distance from him. :(

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Lol, that's the same warning my wife gives to everyone.

We'll plan on arriving at the show around 10:30 - 11. I'll have my wife and two little girls with me so keep a look out and say hi!