4th Annual TTPG Conference

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I'm next door to Bill Love Neal. You better say hi!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you there was one gent I was talking to at the conference about joining the TFO and he said they make
Negative comments about everything
So it makes me happy that everybody
Seemed happy and enjoyed the
Conference as much as I did
And the gent from Texas could
Make hemroids sound fun . He was
Areal down to earth card

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
That man was right. Phooey that I did not go, boo, boo hoo, bah-humbug, grumble-grumble, and waaaaaa. Howz that for negative?

You really need to work on that. :D

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Loved the conference, lots of interesting information. Heading back to Tucson today. I plan on attending next year, Russ claims it will be bigger and better!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
It was a really nice conference. Those who attended got a nice cross section of conservation and breeding. I think the best part of these conferences is a chance to ask our co reptile keeper/collectors/hobbyists/professionals opinions about different topics in person which can't always be done via e-mail. Glad a made the trip. Now it's back to Carolina.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm happy you came to the conference
And that you found it as informantative
As I did . And I think that the show is great and almost as fun and got more information again to day at the show
And meeting all the TFO members
Yesterday and today was great it was
Well werth my time and MONEY
And sorry to all the people that couldn't
Come for any reason

And I'm going back tonight and tommarrow
Thank you all

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cowboy_Ken said:
Hey Tom. See anyone I know at the conference? Maybe some kind of talk?

I saw several people you might know! Your buddy Doug was there. He didn't present this year though.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is this conference held at the same time and place each year? The TSA is being held in Daytona Beach next year. What is the difference between the two conferences, if anyone knows?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sibi said:
Is this conference held at the same time and place each year? The TSA is being held in Daytona Beach next year. What is the difference between the two conferences, if anyone knows?

I have not been to the TSA one, but many TTPG members have and they all say the TTPG one is way better. I don't want to speculate on why, since I haven't been to a TSA conference. PM Will and ask him to respond here.

TTPG is always mid November in Mesa AZ. Next year will be their 5th.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Re: RE: 4th Annual TTPG Conference

Tom said:
sibi said:

I have not been to the TSA one, but many TTPG members have and they all say the TTPG one is way better. I don't want to speculate on why, since I haven't been to a TSA conference. PM Will and ask him to respond here.

TTPG is always mid November in Mesa AZ. Next year will be their 5th.

NICE,

The difference I hear from people who attend both, is that TTPG speakers and content are more accessible via the talk and informal conversation.

When I ran the ASPin-situCC program, TSA sponsored many of those participants to come and talk or present posters. They all loved those meetings. But they all had some level of professional and or academic association as turtle biologists/conservationists.

At TTPG, one of the talks I liked much, had one cladogram, and that one slide in that one talk was the extent of the only negative words I heard any one speak. Some people just don't like any "formal" science at all.

I found only one talk at this meeting where I struggled to understand the message contained within. Some talks were very entertaining as well as informative.

I have come to better be able to parse message from messanger by being at many conferences in the past, and every speaker has a message, some are good at being the messanger, some are not.

What makes a meeting like TTPG so good is that no body seemed to fuss over the messengers, they all just took in the message - which is ultimately the point, so that makes the whole meeting a relaxing venue for learning, and socializing. Not a sword fight of words.

Another thing I noticed, by its absence, the audiance participated without debating the other people in the audiance or the speaker.

In short, there is a gross difference in ambiance. So one may not really be considered better than the other, both are about chelonians.

For example on another topic, I like going the where the sea meets the land, but US atlantic ocean beaches have a different feel to them than US pacific ocean beaches, from gulf of Mexico beaches. All the same? Or different?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thanks Will. I will take that into consideration when planing future trips.