3 Topics - Vita Shell / Vitamin E / Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

richellesworld

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gulf Coast - Texas
Does anyone know of the product called Vita Shell... it's a conditioner for the tortoises shell. Any good reviews?

Also, I read that vitamin be good for tortoises... Any knowlegde on this?

How do tortoises shed?
:tort:

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I don't know about shedding. I know that tortoises can have a little of their shells flake off because of new growth but I am unaware of them shedding.
I know that some people on this forum love vitashell. Vita Shell will not hurt your tortoise but it also does not help your tortoise. Tom did an experiment where he used vita shell on a tortoise, vita shell and spraying with water on another tortoise, and just spraying with water on a tortoise. His results were that it did not hurt but it did not help. Do with that what you will, it is entirely up to you.
I also have no knowledge about using vitamins on a tortoise. I know that you can give them suppliments but other than that my knowledge is lacking.
Others will respond who have more knowledge and experience. Good luck with everything. :)

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I use vitashell once every couple weeks when I see white areas on his shell... Purely optional, I like it personally. Torts don't shed though.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
1. Vitashell is just a thick plain white hand lotion. If you feel a need to use anything, try a TINY amount of olive oil or 'baby-safe' oils or lotions. Lots cheaper.

2. Vitamin E is important, but is usually easily available in the foods or in a typical multivitamin mix. You should not have to worry about this. To put it in perspective, vitamin K is a lot more important, but easy to get and you don't need much so no one ever really talks about it.

3. The shed from their skin in small bits, like lots of lizards- but usually in even smaller bits than most lizards do so you never really see it. They generally do not shed from the shell, but the outermost layers wear away as new ones are added.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
This is ZEUS he is 7mnts old
He's about 4'5", 7'4Round ...and i dont know if this is right but when i weighed him today my scale said 4oz.. untill i get a different one im just gonna go by it. i weigh him every month and its been going up.. He's an eater and stays out side all day.He has his own little habitat. He gets 2 soaks a day ...
I use Vitashell every once in awhile. i like the time me and zeus spend when i rub it all over him but since i soak him alot i dont really need to use it.
If i had to pick one id go with soaking your tort. i personally think its way better for them.
Giving your tort a good rub down every once in awhile could be good for you and him/her. I call it spreading the loooove lol

I'v attached some pictures of his neck before and after the peal.
He would not alow me to get his legs lol but it looked pretty much the same. Pealing from inside the shell on out towards his feet.
It makes me happy to see that because i know he's growing =)

Attachments

• 2012-09-08_17-17-19_922.jpg
    2012-09-08_17-17-19_922.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 74
  • 2012-09-08_17-17-35_93.jpg
    2012-09-08_17-17-35_93.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 55
  • 2012-09-08_17-17-49_759.jpg
    2012-09-08_17-17-49_759.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 2012-09-14_17-55-19_184.jpg
    2012-09-14_17-55-19_184.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 54

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I just got some Vita Shell the other day. It's not really that expensive. I read Tom's experiment and decided it couldn't hurt. I also enjoy the "bonding time" with my little ones while a massage it in. I still do daily soaks and lots of shell sprays though. I don't have any experience on the others though.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
ICUSleeping- that much shedding is not really normal. It may indicate stress, dietary issues, vitamin issues, etc.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Madkins007 said:
ICUSleeping- that much shedding is not really normal. It may indicate stress, dietary issues, vitamin issues, etc.

Yep... That's why I wanted to see what was going on. It's not normal for a tort to shed like that. But his carapace looks great!

Tort's "do" shed ... But they shed more like a lizard and you don't really ever see it like that (hence they don't "shed"). Your tort is indeed shedding, although that's not normal and indicative of the potential issues listed above (and possibly something else not listed)

Have you checked out the article on sulcata diet on here? How much sun exposure on a daily basis? soak frequency / duration? Does he have hide areas? Is his enclosure humid? Supplement with calcium?

There is no option to soak or to use vitashell. You HAVE to soak them, vitashell is optional. It's also not as simple as plain hand lotion, there's definitely more to the formula. Whether its beneficial or not is another question, although its not simply hand lotion in a jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.