Vita Shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolt1988

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Goodyear, Arizona
I need an opinion on a product, this Vita Shell...I have a baby Sulcata and would like to know what you folks think. As I said I have a baby Sulcata that has grown from a bet since I brought it home, weight as of Saturday 2.7oz and measures 2.5 almost 3 inches. I love my tort just wanted to get an opinion. Thank you.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You will find different opinIons on this and Tom has started a experiment on this, I am going to wait and see his results before I consider using it..

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
kolt1988 said:
I need an opinion on a product, this Vita Shell...I have a baby Sulcata and would like to know what you folks think. As I said I have a baby Sulcata that has grown from a bet since I brought it home, weight as of Saturday 2.7oz and measures 2.5 almost 3 inches. I love my tort just wanted to get an opinion. Thank you.

Vita Shell is just something that delivers oil to keratin fibers. If you apply it to the cuticle of your fingernails, you will get nice, shiny fingernails. Similarly, you can apply it to the seems between the scutes of your tortoise's shell, and it will make the shell look shiny. I did use it once on my young redfoot tortoise, and it did make her shell look nice.

However, I have read (I believe it was Andy Highfield or the Tortoise Trust) that frequently applying a product like this to your tortoise's shell could stunt the growth of the scutes. Vita Shell can be used from time to time, but it is no substitute for providing the right level of humidity for the tortoise you are keeping. Besides, although the skin, claws, and shell of a reptile can look dry, that does not necessarily mean they are dry. Again, providing the appropriate level of humidity is what matters. The shiny look is more for the benefit of the keeper than than animal.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't like it and would not use it on my tortoises

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Taken from an article on tortoise care from the Tortoise Trust website:

"Another misconception is preparations of some type (many of which are commercial) are recommended, to be placed on the shell, to "give it nutrients" and make it shiny. Many, if not most of these products, are potentially harmful.

Both the carapace and the plastron of a tortoise or turtle is comprised of living tissue. It needs oxygen and exposure to sunlight to keep healthy.

The build-up of soils, waxes, oils, or other preparations, is actually harmful to a tortoise's shell. The keratin and bony layers contain millions of microscopic pores, and things such as the products mentioned actually clog the pores, causing problems."

While not a scientific explanation, it is one that I've always believed and stick with. I've never read of any proof that coating a living tortoises shell with oil does anything except form a coating that limits air contact and collects dust and dirt. Why would oil be acceptable to coat a tortoise with but not paint? They effectively are doing the same thing.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
i AM ALSO KINDA MIXED I DID BUY VITA SHELL AWHILE BACK AND I DO USE IT BUT NOT AS OFTEN AS MAYBE SOME OTHER KEEPERS,I WILL SAY IVE USED MINERAL OIL FOR THE SAME EFFECT IT JUS MAKES THE SHELL COLORS SHINE THRU GREATLY ESPECIALLY IF U HAVE COLORFUL TORTS LIKE STARS ,RADIATAS ECT.....BUT IT WILL MAKE ANY TORT LOOK LIKE IT JUS GOT A MANICURE ,MATTER FACT THATS WAT I CALL USING IT.....GIVING A MANICURE.

kolt1988

5 Year Member
Goodyear, Arizona
Thank you to all that have shared their opinions on the product, again I am a new Tort owner I greatly apreciate the input..I have to give a thank to this site for guiding me with my new little pride and joy. I have to say I have gotten a education on my tort just by doing research and asking questions..and the respect and knowledge that of all you have and show on this site is great and I am really glad I signed up on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.