1st baby sulcata!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinyTheSulcata

5 Year Member
I am the proud parent of a new baby Sulcata named Tiny.
This is a first tortoise for me so any help will be appreciated along this journey.

Photos to come soon!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Check out Toms great threads below on raising a sulcata to stay healthy and smooth.

TinyTheSulcata

5 Year Member
photo-4.JPG

SBeanie said:
Awww what a cutie! So what made you decided to get tiny?

After spending some time with this big fella! Was at the pet shop a few weeks before we went and got Tiny.

Arizona Sulcata said:

Thanks!

wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) Check out Toms great threads below on raising a sulcata to stay healthy and smooth.

Thank you so much for the info. I had read a few of his threads but not them all! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...the first few years are the most important..below my. Signature as also suggested..there are threads. I highly recommend reading. There are a lot of us sulcata owner's who follow these guidelines. They work really well.

Franklinstein

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness how exciting for you. I am glad you joined the forum. It will be so helpful. I am a new "Tortoise Mom" too. We adopted a 13 year old Hermanns Tortoise last week.

Steve and Lori

TinyTheSulcata

5 Year Member
Franklinstein said:
Oh my goodness how exciting for you. I am glad you joined the forum. It will be so helpful. I am a new "Tortoise Mom" too. We adopted a 13 year old Hermanns Tortoise last week.

Steve and Lori

how cool is that! I spent some time with a 25-30 year old sulcata and you just gain respect for an animal that has lived for so long and can get as big as they can!

How is they new one adapting?

Jacqui said:
Hi! Welcome to the family!:D

Thank you! everyone has been so nice on here so far and very helpful!

Alright I have read alot of mixed things and just want a little help.

The baby needs high fiber diet like dried grasses and weeds.
The zoomed tortoise food is made up of all mixed grasses and weeds and seems like a good start, but everyone says no. ?

This is what I want to do:

Mix
1. fresh cut up greens/dandelions
2.crushed up(easy for baby) zoomed tortoise food cubes
3.crushed up timothy hay
4.sprinkled calcium powder

I think this will give a fairly good variety for this youngster to start with.

Any thoughts?

TinyTheSulcata

5 Year Member
Undershell.JPG

tinySoak.JPG

1stweightIn.JPG

That reads a beginning weight of 36 grams!
I would put Tiny at about 1-1.5 months? Any input?

Here is Tiny's first weight in.
I really hope I can put some weight on him/her soon.
Thanks for watching!

TinyTheSulcata

5 Year Member
Well after some new information I have found out that Tiny is most likely about 2-3 weeks old. We are going to put his birthday for 2/13/13.

critters88

5 Year Member
Are you planning on soaking your zoomed tort food, I just do that till its good and squishy and just put it in with the greens.

TinyTheSulcata

5 Year Member
tiny1stmixFood.JPG
critters88 said:
Are you planning on soaking your zoomed tort food, I just do that till its good and squishy and just put it in with the greens.

Yes I do! I actually picked up some mazuri and soaked that and the zoomed pellets and mixed that with romain lettuce and timothy hay for a mushy mixture.

I am prob going to cut out(or finely chop) the timothy hay as it became more of getting in the way and hard to eat for him.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
As youngsters they are not very fond of dry grass/hay. Broad leaf weeds are best. Chicory, dandelion, plantain, mallow, geranium, to name a few. The website for the T Lady has a good list of weeds with pictures to better id the plant to insure its good for your youngster. I'll try to post the website link for you.

http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/diet.htm#plantlist

She specializes in russian and of Mediterranean tortoises but this food list is good for all of them. As a sulcata gets older they start to need and eat the grasses and dry grasses more as a staple. I feed mazuri tortoise chow, soaked completely once or twice a week with good results.

TinyTheSulcata

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
As youngsters they are not very fond of dry grass/hay. Broad leaf weeds are best. Chicory, dandelion, plantain, mallow, geranium, to name a few. The website for the T Lady has a good list of weeds with pictures to better id the plant to insure its good for your youngster. I'll try to post the website link for you.

http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/diet.htm#plantlist

She specializes in russian and of Mediterranean tortoises but this food list is good for all of them. As a sulcata gets older they start to need and eat the grasses and dry grasses more as a staple. I feed mazuri tortoise chow, soaked completely once or twice a week with good results.

THANKS!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Just wait till you are searching eBay for organic dandelion seeds and see if you thank me then. My favorite response is, “you paid for weeds in your yard?!?"

Status
Not open for further replies.