Oogway's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
C318D4EE-1915-4204-A2A1-70A39C458E5A.jpeg 321EE5D8-571D-4AE6-86BC-AF24B71ADEF7.jpeg Hello!

My name is Kaytee, I have a baby sulcata named Oogway. His ‘birthday’ was on May 18th, so he’s a little over a year old.
We just moved from Connecticut to North Carolina, so if there’s any other tortoise owners in the Raleigh/Durham area, we would love to meet up or chat!

This website has been so, so helpful in me take care of little Oogway properly. Excited to be able to help other sulcata owners on their journey & continue to learn myself

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome Oogway is adorable. Pics of your enclosure , heating and lighting would help us give you some suggestions. Just from that pic it looks like you're enclosure is to dry. Again welcome there are numerous members here that have done research on sullies. You are in the right place.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome! I thought the substrate looked pretty dry too, but the little tortoise looks great. He's a real cutie.

Oogway's Mom

Raleigh, NC
Welcome Oogway is adorable. Pics of your enclosure , heating and lighting would help us give you some suggestions. Just from that pic it looks like you're enclosure is to dry. Again welcome there are numerous members here that have done research on sullies. You are in the right place.

Thank you!
How damp should the substrate be?
Overhead he has a ceramic heater & a UVB lamp.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you!
How damp should the substrate be?
Overhead he has a ceramic heater & a UVB lamp.
I mix the coco coir according to the instructions. Then I take a handful and squeeze. Very little water should drip out and when you open your hand the clump should stay pretty much together. The UVB light you are using. Is it the type that screw in like a light bulb and are coiled or looped? If so get rid of it. It concentrates the UVB and can be harmful to their eyes. Get a flouresnt tube type. Arcadia makes one with a 5.0 HO output. Read the directions to get proper height.

Oogway's Mom

Raleigh, NC
I mix the coco coir according to the instructions. Then I take a handful and squeeze. Very little water should drip out and when you open your hand the clump should stay pretty much together. The UVB light you are using. Is it the type that screw in like a light bulb and are coiled or looped? If so get rid of it. It concentrates the UVB and can be harmful to their eyes. Get a flouresnt tube type. Arcadia makes one with a 5.0 HO output. Read the directions to get proper height.

Okay, thank you. I have been using the light bulb type from zoo med - will look into the tube type UVB sources.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Hi there! I am a sulcata owner from Myrtle Beach, SC....If you come to our area, let me know! I'd love to get together and chat about our shell babies!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Okay, thank you. I have been using the light bulb type from zoo med - will look into the tube type UVB sources.
If you can get Oogway outside for a 1 hr, 2 to 3 times a week that will be ok. I would turn the UVB off. It will give you time to get the proper UVB before the weather cools down.
Sunlight thru a window doesn't count :).
The UVB gets filtered out.​

Oogway's Mom

Raleigh, NC
If you can get Oogway outside for a 1 hr, 2 to 3 times a week that will be ok. I would turn the UVB off. It will give you time to get the proper UVB before the weather cools down.
Sunlight thru a window doesn't count :).
The UVB gets filtered out.​

Perfect, we are actually outside almost everyday soaking up the sun -
I really appreciate your feedback & dialouge!

charlygal123

Kent UK
View attachment 277246 View attachment 277247 Hello!

My name is Kaytee, I have a baby sulcata named Oogway. His ‘birthday’ was on May 18th, so he’s a little over a year old.
We just moved from Connecticut to North Carolina, so if there’s any other tortoise owners in the Raleigh/Durham area, we would love to meet up or chat!

This website has been so, so helpful in me take care of little Oogway properly. Excited to be able to help other sulcata owners on their journey & continue to learn myself

He is adorable!!! I live in the UK so a meet up would be a bit of a mission, it’s probably a good thing for you though because I’d just pop round and watch that gorgeous tort of yours all day long! Tortoise envy [emoji23] hope you enjoy your new home [emoji536]

Jtaylor393

Conway, South Carolina
Perfect, we are actually outside almost everyday soaking up the sun -
I really appreciate your feedback & dialouge!
You can build an outdoor enclosure pretty cheap. I built this one for 40.00. I am in SC so your temps and humidity are a lot like here. My baby is outside most of the day. He comes in at night and if it rains. I wet down the substrate everyday before I put him out. And there is moist orchid moss under his hide for extra humidity. There is a stone inside enclosure that is a basking spot. The most important thing to do is try to make different areas for your little tort. When in his enclosure my tort first heads over to the sulcata grass that is growing in his enclosure. Then he usually goes over and sits in his water dish and gets a drink. The temps here are between 85-94 with high humidity. His basking spot is at around 102. Humidity in enclosure is around 82% under hide about 97% shaded area is about 80.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1564526064232.jpg
    FB_IMG_1564526064232.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 9

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You can build an outdoor enclosure pretty cheap. I built this one for 40.00. I am in SC so your temps and humidity are a lot like here. My baby is outside most of the day. He comes in at night and if it rains. I wet down the substrate everyday before I put him out. And there is moist orchid moss under his hide for extra humidity. There is a stone inside enclosure that is a basking spot. The most important thing to do is try to make different areas for your little tort. When in his enclosure my tort first heads over to the sulcata grass that is growing in his enclosure. Then he usually goes over and sits in his water dish and gets a drink. The temps here are between 85-94 with high humidity. His basking spot is at around 102. Humidity in enclosure is around 82% under hide about 97% shaded area is about 80.
That is a great idea.