17 year cicadas and bees: are they a threat for tortoises when they spend time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech13

5 Year Member
Although tortoises have a nice "coat of armor", I still feel compelled to ask the question, is my little tort in danger with these pests flying around his outdoor habitat? I worry because the tortoise hind- legs are not so rough as the front ones. I've seen bees near him, but no cicadas...YET

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They would most likely come across bees in the wild. As for the cicadas, I don't know of anything they do then to make alot of noise. I never have seen a bed land on my torts yet. I don't think there is a worry there.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
wellington said:
They would most likely come across bees in the wild. As for the cicadas, I don't know of anything they do then to make alot of noise. I never have seen a bed land on my torts yet. I don't think there is a worry there.

gee Wellington I hope a bed doesn't land on your tort LOL sorry couldn't resist

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
Unless your tort horribly disrupts an entire hive of bees I think he's in little danger. I also saw a documentary with a box turtle eating some swarming cicadas. So I doubt they'd really be anything other than a rare protein tort or annoyance in the torts eyes.

Tech13

5 Year Member
sueb4653 said:
wellington said:

gee Wellington I hope a bed doesn't land on your tort LOL sorry couldn't resist

Hehe, but a tort would love to land on a "bed..." of flowers or lettuces! Oh, and thanks for calming my worries for our tort's safety :)

Brewster320 said:
Unless your tort horribly disrupts an entire hive of bees I think he's in little danger. I also saw a documentary with a box turtle eating some swarming cicadas. So I doubt they'd really be anything other than a rare protein tort or annoyance in the torts eyes.

Thanks to you and Wellington, I won't feel like making him stay inside more to "bee safe" (bad pun, sorry), because more than anything, I want our tort to be healthy and natural UV rays are the "bees knees" for his bone health along with proper diet and temps...sorry again for another bad pun, I'll stop now, it's late here and I have to be up early to go to see caverns in less than 5 hours, blame it on need for sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.