0utdoor enclosure ideas?

Elnewman622

Location (City and/or State)
OH, Usa
for the summer I want to build an out door enclosure I'm just not sure how we should do it. We have a garden and the things we use to build it seem good to use but i'm not sure. One thing I'm worried about is that predators will get in . I've seen a lot of picture with the tops not covered but I want something with a cover so nothing can get in and out. Any ideas would be great !!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are used 2 x 12 pressure treated boards and I put hardware cloth below and above. I used half and half of Pete my *** and organic garden soil for the substrate and I made it at least 4 to 6 inches deep throughout the entire thing. Is your yard fenced? Are there any dogs that have access to the yard? I've heard that if you bring your tortoise in at night you don't need a top on the enclosure. But I'm paranoid so I put one on there as well as putting the hardware cloth below to keep my tortoise from digging out and anything else from digging in. There are raccoons and possums around here but that's about it. This is a picture of my enclosure for my Russian. It can give you ideas but there are others out there too. Keep looking through the Russian tortoise section and the outdoor enclosure section and see what other ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433037597.464930.jpg
people have done. You can also use raised garden beds like the ones in the back of the picture. I had a friend help me build mine otherwise I would've probably gone with the garden bed idea and just connected a couple together.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I'm working on one as well. I'm installing some bamboo fencing around the perimeter and planting some big hostas for shady hides. I've also dug out some chunks of ground for cool moist hides. I'll be bringing mine in for the night because we have raccoons galore but I've seen these cool overnight boxes... This was someone on the forum's box. Very nice. Heated inside..ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433038019.022817.jpg

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
Are used 2 x 12 pressure treated boards and I put hardware cloth below and above. I used half and half of Pete my *** and organic garden soil for the substrate and I made it at least 4 to 6 inches deep throughout the entire thing. Is your yard fenced? Are there any dogs that have access to the yard? I've heard that if you bring your tortoise in at night you don't need a top on the enclosure. But I'm paranoid so I put one on there as well as putting the hardware cloth below to keep my tortoise from digging out and anything else from digging in. There are raccoons and possums around here but that's about it. This is a picture of my enclosure for my Russian. It can give you ideas but there are others out there too. Keep looking through the Russian tortoise section and the outdoor enclosure section and see what other View attachment 132067
people have done. You can also use raised garden beds like the ones in the back of the picture. I had a friend help me build mine otherwise I would've probably gone with the garden bed idea and just connected a couple together.
My yard sadly does not have a fence and I have a dog but where I would put it is out of its reach because of the invisible fence. Like you I am paranoid that something would get to him. We have foxes where I am and we get hawks a lot . I'm most likely going to do what you did! thanks

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My yard sadly does not have a fence and I have a dog but where I would put it is out of its reach because of the invisible fence. Like you I am paranoid that something would get to him. We have foxes where I am and we get hawks a lot . I'm most likely going to do what you did! thanks
I will make a suggestion that does sound extremely paranoid. So bear with me :) because your yard is not fenced, if you are going to leave the tortoise out there when you're not home put a padlock on The lid of your enclosure. If you look closely you can see where I could padlock mine. People have had their tortoises stolen as sick as that sounds. I don't lock my now because my fence now has a lock on it.

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
I will make a suggestion that does sound extremely paranoid. So bear with me :) because your yard is not fenced, if you are going to leave the tortoise out there when you're not home put a padlock on The lid of your enclosure. If you look closely you can see where I could padlock mine. People have had their tortoises stolen as sick as that sounds. I don't lock my now because my fence now has a lock on it.
yeah I'll most likely do that as well just in case! I live in a safe neighborhood but for safety and me being paranoid I'll probably do it !:)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm working on one as well. I'm installing some bamboo fencing around the perimeter and planting some big hostas for shady hides. I've also dug out some chunks of ground for cool moist hides. I'll be bringing mine in for the night because we have raccoons galore but I've seen these cool overnight boxes... This was someone on the forum's box. Very nice. Heated inside..View attachment 132068
There are some nice ones out there that's for sure. I don't have an outside electric source but when I get one I think I will make a little heated box for my Russian.