Outdoor Russian hide.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I wanted something underground for my Russians to be able to escape the heat in their ne enclosure. I am not very handy and uncomfortable with power tools, so I used a storage tub and flower pots to create this.
0510151631a.jpg
I drilled a dozen holes in the bottom for drainage. I buried hardware clot under the tunnel, and used the flower pot for the top of the tunnel.
0510151631.jpg
0510151643.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That looks good. You're about as handy as I am. But you are more creative :) you could use a temperature gun to test my theory, but I would go ahead and cover up the top with at least two or 3 inches of dirt. This would help keep it insulated from the sun and possibly cooler I think. You could still dig it out easily if you had to get into them.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Very nice... Seeing all these underground tunnels makes me miss the Russians! Lol
I'm just jealous she can actually dig. My yard is all rock, can't even use a shovel. I can say that Jodie definitely has some plans for her yard and all her tortoises. I can't wait to see when it's all done.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thanks. I suspect I will have to get at least one out all the time, so might build a roof over it. That corner is in the shade by 2 PM though, so will see. Thelma is burying herself all the time. She is why I built it. It is very difficult to dig a Russian out of their tunnel, even after you find it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Maybe you need to add another female or two to your group :) isn't she the one that usually hides? And it is definitely hard to get them out. They are so darn strong, and yours are huge compared to mine. She might hide less once the weeds and stuff have grown in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Why not?
One thing that comes to my mind, though.....Flooding.
I've found that having cool, covered hides above ground and on high ground still gives my tortoises the sensation of being underground and getting cooler but being safe in a rain storm.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
We don't get heavy rain here and our water table is very deep. Flooding is not an issue I am pretty sure. I did drill a dozen finger size holes in bottom and will watch it.
Even when she was alone she liked to bury herself. They are all eating and I am weighing weekly. I have a 3rd female still in quarantine. My male is not mature I don't think. There hasn't been any mating or harassing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a fantastic idea. I love what you did there.

Here is an idea: You know the wooden lids I build for my in ground boxes? You could build something like that, a 2x4 border with plywood on top and just rest that over the lid of your in-ground tub there. Just plop it right on the ground. This would keep the sun off of your lid, but still make access to the tortoises very easy. I think I might copy your design. Way easier than the way I've been doing it.

On another note: With that lid in place, I don't think water can get in there unless it floods up to the door level. I don't think you needed drainage holes. I think drainage holes are going to let water in from the bottom.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
For the lid, that is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks Tom. It is my version of your wood one. Lol. I don't want it to be too dry inside, so am hoping moisture will come from the bottom. It is dry here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't want it to be too dry inside, so am hoping moisture will come from the bottom. It is dry here.

Well in that case you can do what I do and add a little water now and then. If I waited for rain, my tortoises would die of dehydration! :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I need to try something like this because I don't want to reach in without checking for snakeI
Good point!!!!! Good thing I'm in the southeastern Michigan suburbs!