Very new tortoise owner... Need help ASAP please (:

Moonlights

5 Year Member
it was an idea acted out on short notice, but I got a russian tortoise today and I need a lot of help. I have a 3 1/2 foot long , 1 foot width clear terrarium. I have a heating pad. Can I keep the heating pad on, or should I turn it off? I have my UVB lamp but I need to get the actual bulb and I won't be able to go back to the store until thursday. I have a water bowl and some greens set out for him/her to eat. About bedding: right now I have down some line shreds which I know is bad for them, so I have him out and crawling about. I need a good substitute .! Any ideas .?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Your cage size is too small. Use plain dirt, free from pesticides and fertilizers. Get your UVB bulb, not the coil kind and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter for added heat if needed. Needs a hide, water bowl a plant clay saucer works good and a piece of flat rock or tile to feed on. The temps should be as follows:
Ambient daytime: 70s to low 80s
Basking spot: 95-100*F
Nighttime: preferably in the 60s
And a humidity of around 40% for a sub adult to adult. Hatchlings need a high humidity.

Moonlights

5 Year Member
As in... Like go outside scoop some dirt and use it .? The cage is all I got right now .. How much bigger does it need to be and how much bigger will the tort get .? They told me he's about 2 years old ImageUploadedByTortForum1381283410.650152.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Yep. Go out and get some dirt from the garden if it does not have any additives. Lose the heating pad. Torts don't get heat from below and if it gets too hot he might not move off of it until too late. Your cage is ok for a short time but he really needs something about twice that size. Also, they love to dig and bury themselves. Make sure your substrate is at least twice the depth of your little guy's height.

Oh, and get rid of that water bowl. Use a terra cotta saucer from Wal-Mart or Home Depot instead. Most important thing of all though! Love your little guy and pay him attention every day! You wouldn't believe the posts on here about people with dead or dying torts because they stopped taking care of them for a week or so. Properly cared for and interacted with, a tort can be more therapeutic than a fish tank!

Moonlights

5 Year Member
Really .? Even now .? He's only a small little guy. I got some mulch mixed with dirt in there and he's exploring. I turned the heat pad off. For food; all I have in there is a bit of spinach. Any other ideas .?

I'll lose the bowl - but for today and tomorrow can I keep it there until I get a saucer .?

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Yes...keep the water dish until you're able to get a saucer. I'm sure someone will chime in on what to feed a russian tort.

Moonlights

5 Year Member
Spinach , occasional apples, broad leafs, dandelions/weeds, romaine lettuce , correct .?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: Very new tortoise owner... Need help ASAP please :)

Moonlights said:
it was an idea acted out on short notice, but I got a russian tortoise today and I need a lot of help. I have a 3 1/2 foot long , 1 foot width clear terrarium. I have a heating pad. Can I keep the heating pad on, or should I turn it off? I have my UVB lamp but I need to get the actual bulb and I won't be able to go back to the store until thursday. I have a water bowl and some greens set out for him/her to eat. About bedding: right now I have down some line shreds which I know is bad for them, so I have him out and crawling about. I need a good substitute .! Any ideas .?

welcome to the forum!
i love Russian tortoises :) they have a cute personality but watch out for the climbing!

a glass terrarium is not used for tortoises. they are difficult to maintain temp/humidity and the tort will often try to walk through the glass. maybe small hatchlings but they will outgrow it quickly. a big bookcase on it's back is what you need, a tortoise table :)

clean dirt from your backyard will work, aim for at least 4" of soil.

plastic plant pots buried on their side or a plastic shoe box work well for hides.

you shouldn't need the heating pad, Russian tortoises don't need as high temps as most tortoises and they are a fire hazard. you only need a light for heat and uvb. a regular incandescent bulb will produce heat, a tube fluorescent uvb bulb will produce uvb and mercury vapor bulbs produce both.

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
A couple things, spinach isn't very good for them (weeds from the garden, and grasses are the best food) if you can't go to the store for awhile just use the lid off of a large jar or as said earlier use a terra cotta plant dish.

Moonlights

5 Year Member
I have a log that I'm using for a hide currently ... Although he's going to outgrow that soon. Right now he's just sitting in the corner. Yes, I've noticed him trying to push through the glass .!! Apparently they just don't understand the concept. I'll work on a big bookshelf ... There should be an old frame or something lying around. Nothing fancy dancy right .?

Thanks for the welcome and also for the fast reliable information .!! I'm finding lightbulbs and a lid right now. And I'll work on gathering grass and weeds

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You might not be able to do this, but I go to Kroger every other morning and get their organic salads when the manager reduces the price. I go for the power salad and the spring mix. I also buy kale and cut it up a bit. Mine don't eat the spinach so I don't pick it out.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I (and other members on TFO) have found that one of the best enclosures is a cement mixing bin from home depot or lowes or something. They are cheap ($5) large(2'*4') and affective!

Moonlights

5 Year Member
I won't be able to go every other morning but we do keep a spring mix on hand. Thanks for that Home Depot idea I'll definitely be getting that .!! ImageUploadedByTortForum1381285508.800517.jpg he seems so perplexed at the glass that he's walking all over the spinach ... How can I sex him/her .?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Short stubby tail = girl, long obscene tail that goes over his leg = boy... Sometimes the boys have short tails so its best to post pics on your thread and ask the experts.

Moonlights

5 Year Member
I have a fluorescent lumacoil shining down for heat. I need to get an incandescent bulb, calcium dust, extra spring mix, a cement mixing container, repti bark, and until then more dirt and mulch. Am I missing anything .? By the way you said tube fluorescent bulb but I'm not sure if this is what you mean hopefully you can see the pictures I've been posting lol ImageUploadedByTortForum1381285786.713645.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381285968.055288.jpg

I just posted a picture of her tail :3 I see small insects in the tank... Like Rollie-pollies and a spider ... Should I leave them be ..? And would it be a good idea to put up some dark construction paper around the tank until I get something non transparent .?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Rollie Pollies are great for the habitat. They are natures waste disposal and gnat egg eaters! I am trying to find some currently and am jealous that you got yours by accident! That bulb will get you flamed on here. they are not good for their eyes. They are talking about the kind that go in the hood of an aquarium. Long light saber looking ones. the best thing you can do though is take HIM outside when possible. Russians are more temp tolerant than most and better off outdoors if you can do that.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Re: RE: Very new tortoise owner... Need help ASAP please :)

tortoise007 said:
I (and other members on TFO) have found that one of the best enclosures is a cement mixing bin from home depot or lowes or something. They are cheap ($5) large(2'*4') and affective!

Could I trouble you for a link to that 2 x 4 mixing bin for $5?

Will

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
The coil bulb and florescent don't appear to be UV or UVB. What is your UV source? The coil bulb looks to be an energy saving version of an incandescent bulb, which I don't think produces a lot of heat.

Moonlights

5 Year Member
I just have the tube fluorescent in there .! I researched it and it says that they do give off UVB until I can get my hands on two real UVB lights a thermometer and a hygrometer