New Russian Owner

Ckeeler

Hello everyone,

We just got our first Russian Tortoise. We believe he is 5 years old. A friend of a friend was getting rid of one and we were told they are very low maintenance and came with everything we needed to care for it. When they dropped it off it was in a glass aquarium (20g long tank) and they gave us a head of iceberg lettuce. they said feed him a 1/4 cup a day and your are good to go. no water and the aquarium has a strip light and heating pad.

Since this is our first tortoise i wanted to research because nothing is as easy to care for as they let on. i am finding out that my hunch was right. I will be getting him a new home this weekend since his is way to small and will start to feed him better, but i still have a few questions:

1) I live in Arizona and it is 112 f this week. is it safe for him to be outside? if so what provisions do I need to make? How long can he be outside?
2) I have several hibiscus plants around the yard, is it okay to feed hm the leaves and flowers?
3) do I need a water dish or mist him daily?
4) is the heating pad and strip light okay to use or should I get a heat lamp and UV bulb?

Thanks in advance

Chris

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Hibiscus flowers and leaves are great for him. So are dandilion, grape leaves, plantain etc. Attached is a care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
As long as he gets outside for a few hours you won't need a uv light yet. 112 is oo hot for a russian all the time. How hot is it in the shade? As long he has somewhere cooler to retreat too he will be fine. Russians are master escape artist. The can climb anything, be prepared :) glad you got him & he will get a better life!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Russians LOVE that hot sun! Make sure there is plants of shady plants/ hides for him, and a water spot of releif. Yoi could use on of those fold out dogpens, or build your own out of blocks or wood. Hibiscuses are great.
STOP feeding the lettuce. Ditch the 20g. Best thing to do is read the russian care sheet. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris, and welcome to the Forum!

Your new Russian tortoise should live outside 24/7. We have many Arizona members who keep their tortoises outside. You just have to make sure the yard is safe and escape-proof, and that he has plenty of shade. He will dig down into the earth to hide and cool off. If you can grow hibiscus in your yard, you can grow a tortoise there too

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Ida

Enjoy your new RT...Show pictures when you can.
I too live in Phoenix and have my DT outside.
Pam

Ckeeler

Thanks for the info guys. we had him outside yesterday afternoon in our planter which has lots of shady areas. he was crawling around everywhere exploring. he finally found a shady spot he liked and dug in. the ground was moist from watering the bushes the night before so i think he liked it.

Reactions: Ida