Building tortoise table

Dfillier

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta,Canada
Hi I have two female Russian tortoises. We want to build a larger home for them as they have gotten bigger. What would be the best to seal or line the bottom so the wood would not get soiled from water and when the tortoise go to the washroom.

And up north in Alberta I was told to have a heating pad underneath the glass in there terrarium to keep the tortoises warm. Can you put these reptile heating pad under the wood instead of glass.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hi there, i have read of lining the table with a shower curtain is a way to to retain moisture. i think there is a sealent you can 'paint' the wood with but think it's expensive and in not sure about chemicals involved, ie which are safe for torts.

no doubt an experienced member will give you a definitive answer, we are about to start work on a table too so im curious which is best way to go aswell :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
* i came across 'marine' plywood, i think it would be good to use as resists mould I believe, but yet again not sure if treated with chemicals that could cause harm :/ ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Even marine plywood would need sealing. It's less prone to splitting than conventional plywood, that's all. Shower curtain and pond liner make good liners in a tortoise table. Heat mats are not recommended with torts generally. With the correct heating and lighting you should not need one. This tort is being kept indoors, I assume you heat your house so things are not going to get all that cold!

Please read these regarding care of Russians and ask any questions they generate
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. A heating pad placed under wood would be insulated by the wood and would heat nothing at all.
You want to heat from above. A CHE is the way to go. (ceramic heat emitter)
Do your tortoises get sunshine from out doors? You will also need a UVB light. In this case a Mercury vapor light would give you both heat and UVB.
I don't know your situation. Maybe you need all of it. maybe you need none.
As for sealing the wood, I also like the shower curtain idea. Stapled just below the top of the substrate so it would be invisible.
I'd steer clear of any "treated" lumber as it contains chemicals that could be problematic.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Torts are also not species that need company, yours might be fine together all their life, they might not be. Consider separating them as they might show aggression. If that is not an option provide at least 2 of everything (2 hotspots, water bowls, food bowls (or slabs or however you feed them), multiple hides (way more than 2, as many as fit). Also make the enclosure very large for them. I will be building my russian girl a table soon as well and It will be somewhere close to 7x3 feet, you have 2 so consider something even bigger.

Someone wrote an article on why it is not safe to keep two tortoises together at the top of this section of the forum, could be an interesting read

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree ghat pairs are not good together. Gender doesn't matter. Russian females can be as bad as Russian males. In a very large, outdoor, enclosure with lots of sight barriers groups of 3 or more may work. For two there is no escaoe from unwanted attention. Russians have a particularly bad reputation for fighting nasty and for mental bullying which is less obvious, but can be just as deadly.

I suggest that you read this thread http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/