Pretend Chat 2.14

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
While we've only been here a few months, the yard full of tortoises (6 redfoots ranging from 3lbs to 12lbs) hasn't gone unnoticed by the locals who walk by. They have all been very kind and polite and curious and the school kids enjoy getting to pet Vern if i'm out while they are walking to/from school. This is why I'm surprised someone took issue. I explained that they don't bark, shed, scratch, dig or cause a disturbance and the code guy agreed that they are pretty neat.
I suspect it is the same person who tried to report me for running an unlicensed business from my home which is a lie. I have been in business as a professional photographer for 10 years and I am licensed. registered and insured. I offered the code guy a copy of my papers and he said he didn't need it unless I try to open a storefront. He then rolled his eyes as to say, "This wont be the end of the complaints"
I think the 'current' cause for complaint is that we had a survey done (required by the city to get a fence permit) only to find that we technically own 15 feet of the 24ft wide alley way (the city claimed a 7-1/2 foot easement, so really 7-1/2 feet of it is 'our yard') and they found that the neighbors had encroached on the street by a wide margin. We didn't say anything about it, but I think they are afraid they will lose part of their yard. They have come out to scream at us that we are going to ruin the neighborhood by putting up a fence that doesn't have any effect on the width of the street. It's all bizarre. I can't wait to finish the 7ft wood fence so we don't have to see them while i enjoy my BACK YARD.
I really want to be petty and put raised garden planters on the asphalt strip, but I don't need them being vandalized so instead we are just considering it to be extra parking and leaving our trucks there at night. The city told me I can tear out the pavement, fence it, do whatever I want, but then cautioned that it would probably cause us extra drama.
All in all, I'm happy I spent $600 on security cameras because we can see which neighbors are messing with our stuff to politely ask them to knock it off. I think I need to go write a good review for the company...

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Yes, it will be nice when your fence goes in! Sorry the neighbors are jerky!!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
It won't be done a moment too soon.

Neighbors can be a real pain. I'm glad I haven't had issues involving property.

Living in the 2nd floor apartment, I use to have a neighbor who lived below me. He would play rather loud music at 3am quite often. I'm a rather passive person, so I typically would turn on Netflix until I fell asleep (again). Then his female friend would come over. Her voice loud and always ending in an inflection. One rainy night at 2am I heard her pounding on the door, calling for the guy. Repeating and repeating the same line over and over. That was worse than the music. Drove me mad since my bed was above the door.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
While we've only been here a few months, the yard full of tortoises (6 redfoots ranging from 3lbs to 12lbs) hasn't gone unnoticed by the locals who walk by. They have all been very kind and polite and curious and the school kids enjoy getting to pet Vern if i'm out while they are walking to/from school. This is why I'm surprised someone took issue. I explained that they don't bark, shed, scratch, dig or cause a disturbance and the code guy agreed that they are pretty neat.
I suspect it is the same person who tried to report me for running an unlicensed business from my home which is a lie. I have been in business as a professional photographer for 10 years and I am licensed. registered and insured. I offered the code guy a copy of my papers and he said he didn't need it unless I try to open a storefront. He then rolled his eyes as to say, "This wont be the end of the complaints"
I think the 'current' cause for complaint is that we had a survey done (required by the city to get a fence permit) only to find that we technically own 15 feet of the 24ft wide alley way (the city claimed a 7-1/2 foot easement, so really 7-1/2 feet of it is 'our yard') and they found that the neighbors had encroached on the street by a wide margin. We didn't say anything about it, but I think they are afraid they will lose part of their yard. They have come out to scream at us that we are going to ruin the neighborhood by putting up a fence that doesn't have any effect on the width of the street. It's all bizarre. I can't wait to finish the 7ft wood fence so we don't have to see them while i enjoy my BACK YARD.
I really want to be petty and put raised garden planters on the asphalt strip, but I don't need them being vandalized so instead we are just considering it to be extra parking and leaving our trucks there at night. The city told me I can tear out the pavement, fence it, do whatever I want, but then cautioned that it would probably cause us extra drama.
All in all, I'm happy I spent $600 on security cameras because we can see which neighbors are messing with our stuff to politely ask them to knock it off. I think I need to go write a good review for the company...

See, I think that filing numerous complaints and "com[ing] out to scream at us" goes beyond passive aggressive. Appeasement doesn't work, but only emboldens. I'd use the aforementioned acts plus the potential trespass you alluded to when speaking about cameras to justify putting up as much fence as you are legally allowed to.

Step 2 is to create a "bad neighbors" Youtube channel and post any video you have of them doing things to your property.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You have a nice little forest going for you there.
Finding that one living down the hill gives me 3 cypress trees, this is the base of the first one I planted around 1990, It was a sympathy buy, The top was broke off and had just one limb. I used soft wire to turn the limb up and it worked as I had hoped. What I like about them is they give shade in summer and after dropping the leaves let the sun shine through during winter.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Finding that one living down the hill gives me 3 cypress trees, this is the base of the first one I planted around 1990, It was a sympathy buy, The top was broke off and had just one limb. I used soft wire to turn the limb up and it worked as I had hoped. What I like about them is they give shade in summer and after dropping the leaves let the sun shine through during winter.
Picture 1893.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX

Fence your entire property, **** on that neighbor

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I had something similar where it turned out a neighbors fence was 7'-6" in my yard. The fence was put up prior to either me or the neighbor buying our houses but the fence was in desperate need of repair and they were super pissed I wanted my 7.5 feet back. They had a garden and landscaping across there and I didn't care. They tried to prevent me from doing it and called the city to complain, claiming they should be grandfathered in that land since it was like that when we bought the place. The city inspector looked at the survey I had from closing on the house and the survey the neighbor had done, they both matched and said the fence was off so I knocked it down that day and rebuilt it on the correct property line and ripped up her stupid plants.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I had something similar where it turned out a neighbors fence was 7'-6" in my yard. The fence was put up prior to either me or the neighbor buying our houses but the fence was in desperate need of repair and they were super pissed I wanted my 7.5 feet back. They had a garden and landscaping across there and I didn't care. They tried to prevent me from doing it and called the city to complain, claiming they should be grandfathered in that land since it was like that when we bought the place. The city inspector looked at the survey I had from closing on the house and the survey the neighbor had done, they both matched and said the fence was off so I knocked it down that day and rebuilt it on the correct property line and ripped up her stupid plants.

I'm debating asking the city if they would like to purchase the 7-1/2ft paved section that isn't an easement since it is functioning as their road currently. Less taxes for me to pay and some cash in hand may be worth it....otherwise they may not be amused when I start utilizing the area for my yard rather than their road.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It may be a prescriptive easement. That means it's your property, but it is used as part of the road and you can't fence it off.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi guys,
I'm sitting in the ER with a sick kid in Mammoth. We are camping about 20 miles away and she got worse so waiting to see dr.

We have no service camping except at the hospital and my friend sent this pic of a tortoise who needs a home. What is it? They said desert.
It looks very dry to me.
I don't think I can take in a tort.
View attachment 210961

It's Gopherus agassizii...against federal law to mess with them. He looks too good to be wild. He belong to someone.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
It may be a prescriptive easement. That means it's your property, but it is used as part of the road and you can't fence it off.

Nope, had it surveyed, 7-1/2 feet is just ours, flat out dead to rights. The OTHER 7-1/2 feet of pavement next to that was taken as an easement in the 60 s and then there's another 7-1/2 feet that is just plain alleyway.

The city planner and code enforcement both say we CAN fence it with a 2-1/2 foot fence if we so desire, just that it won't make us any friends.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yeah us ! They may say our air quality is no longer unhealthy for anyone, but we still have a yellow moon coming up. At first I thought it was a sodium streetlight!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502167028.819059.jpg
Okay, the picture looks white but trust me it's yellow from all the smoke in the atmosphere.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's a big boy . People need to build their enclosures better . I've never had one get out .