Pretend Chat 2.14

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Hey y'all. Im on a rocky nest again tonight. Some day I'll get learned up and sleep in the house on a bed proper.
Howdy Monica! How's yourself been doing? From what I've heard, a rocky nest is better than the doghouse for the night.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Any advice for dealing with passive aggressive neighbors? The dream of homeownership is becoming a nightmare.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Any advice for dealing with passive aggressive neighbors? The dream of homeownership is becoming a nightmare.
Blackberry bushes on your fenceline. That might work. The problem is to be a decent neighbor without creating a passive aggressive tag towards yourself.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
We've been taking the "smile and wave" approach and have been met with dozens of complaints to the city about things that aren't illegal or against code that have resulted in the code enforcement guy being exasperated with all of us. There is also a neighbor who likes to stop people on the street to tell them we are ruining the neighborhood, rather loudly.
Someone reported that they have an issue with the tortoises even! (And the code guy just wanted to pet Vern and take a photo)
We even tried talking with them to let them know if they have an issue they can approach us rather than filing complaints and wasting everyone's time. No dice there, theu acted like they have no idea what we are talking about.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
We've been taking the "smile and wave" approach.
I can relate with that. Over 25 years of my life I've lived in the "sticks"-(country) knowing all my neighbors and even watching football together. Now I'm here in the suburbs and I'm trying to meet the locals. I'm getting resistance asking folks about all of us keeping our porch lights on overnight to help combat potential crime in the area. First question I get is, "Have you had anything stolen?" I explain no and that the point here is to keep these things from happening. I'm up to 3 houses so far. Hopefully more will join in.
I point out that criminals like the dark and sneaking around and that the lights help them choose a different street but it still seems to take some convincing.
I wish you luck. Take some homemade blueberry muffins to them that might help on some level. Even if they toss them out, it won't be from you not reaching out with an olive branch.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

I wish I did. I've never had neighbor issues. What's happening?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
We've been taking the "smile and wave" approach and have been met with dozens of complaints to the city about things that aren't illegal or against code that have resulted in the code enforcement guy being exasperated with all of us. There is also a neighbor who likes to stop people on the street to tell them we are ruining the neighborhood, rather loudly.
Someone reported that they have an issue with the tortoises even! (And the code guy just wanted to pet Vern and take a photo)
We even tried talking with them to let them know if they have an issue they can approach us rather than filing complaints and wasting everyone's time. No dice there, theu acted like they have no idea what we are talking about.

Oh wow!
How do they even know you have tortoises? You've been there for such a short time.

Good luck! Just keep a low profile.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Last week-end when Will was here he washed off my solar panels for me. When he stepped up onto the roof a big possum ran out from under the panels, over to the tree and gone.

So this a.m. I went to the front yard, where I can see under the panels, and it looks like there's a nest under there, twigs an grass and stuff - along with the possum. I've called a couple exterminator companies to get a price, but they're all closed for the week-end.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man just be you and do what you want. You paid money for your house roll with it . I had a douchbags across the street . He would call the cops on my bulldog when he would get out . Because he was scared . As soon as the cop met my dogs he told the guy to grow up . That guy got busted for robbing a gas station now doing 10 years for the state . Good people right ? You just do what makes you happy and they'll talk crap behind your back really nothing you can do to make people like you . I got a guy at the end of the road that thinks he's the car police . My rat rods are loud but legal. He talks crap about my truck to others so . I shift down a gear when I pass his house . I also have Harleys that are loud . My buddies come by and we have group rides with over 30 bikes he really hates that . Hahaha just be you and they can go stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Doesn't this post, number 100K, oddly enough, qualify as cheating in and of itself?
Thank you cowboy. Yvonne totally trolled my post and cheated .hahahaha She used her mod powers for evil .hahaha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you cowboy. Yvonne totally trolled my post and cheated .hahahaha She used her mod powers for evil .hahaha
The best part about it was I was just reading through the threads and it was a total coincidence that I finished reading your one word posts at just the right time! It only goes to prove there is a higher power that looks out after us goody two shoes.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Howdy Monica! How's yourself been doing? From what I've heard, a rocky nest is better than the doghouse for the night.
I'm alright. Achy and tired from busting rock and helping Mia in the heat lol.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I can relate with that. Over 25 years of my life I've lived in the "sticks"-(country) knowing all my neighbors and even watching football together. Now I'm here in the suburbs and I'm trying to meet the locals. I'm getting resistance asking folks about all of us keeping our porch lights on overnight to help combat potential crime in the area. First question I get is, "Have you had anything stolen?" I explain no and that the point here is to keep these things from happening. I'm up to 3 houses so far. Hopefully more will join in.
I point out that criminals like the dark and sneaking around and that the lights help them choose a different street but it still seems to take some convincing.
I wish you luck. Take some homemade blueberry muffins to them that might help on some level. Even if they toss them out, it won't be from you not reaching out with an olive branch.
You would have problems with my husband. He hates it when neighbors leave their porch lights on at night. We don't have black out curtains and he needs it completely dark in order to sleep. The people who lived in our house before us installed sensor lights that turn on if they detect motion.

When we first moved in, we left one of our cars parked in front of our house, under the street light. Someone broke in and stole our fishing equipment.