Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Jacqui said:
stephiiberrybean said:
I'm sorry but that has cracked me up!

Poor Hermit crabs. They think they are safe and protected then they remove there shell for a moment and bam... they get eaten!

See how much smarter tortoises are? They never ever get naked. No sirree, they keeps them shells on. :p :D

Yep, keep yer shell on, tuck yer shoulder, duck yer head and surge forward...
(OK, that is just how my bigger female RT deals with my smaller B****ier female RT).
Thinking of changing their names to Big Girl and Mean Girl...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I read almost everything posted on this forum, and what members say. It is not very difficult to fiqure out the more active members. My thoughts, reply with short polite answers to the threads you want to post on and ingnore the ones you have no interest in. One of my all time favorite sayings is something I learned in canine training many years ago, "avoid the bad and seek the good!" As far as pm's, opt out of them and you will have no issues with any negative communications. I recieve many e-mails from TFO members, in fact, some from people that have joined just to get my e-mail, with many questions and misc. communications. E-mails are more private and provides a direct route of communication with more options. I can say that I have never recieved an e-mail from any TFO member that was drama intended. This forum is a great resource for the tortoise enthusiast, etc. I enjoy reading most threads and seeing the pictures posted as we share the same passion as most members about our tortoises.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
maggie3fan said:
I am a no nonsense type person and often am misunderstood as rude or mean. And that's not true at all. I just tell it like it is and I don't sugar coat it so I am called mean and rude. But if someone is not caring correctly for a tortoise who is lethargic and not eating I tell that person what is wrong in no uncertain terms. I don't ever sugar coat my advice, because if a keeper is not caring for his tortoise correctly that tortoise can and often does die. Most often by the time we notice a tortoise is sick he's been sick for a long time. In the wild they need to cover up the symptoms of sickness or others will sense it and go after him. So he's been sick for a long time by the time we see those symptoms and it becomes a life or death situation. So at that point you can't sugar coat your advice or that little tortoise will die.

We had a young keeper who's hatchling was sick and I kept after her to make her parents take the baby to the Vet. Of course they didn't and of course the baby died. So instead of telling that person I was sorry that her baby died. I told her it was her fault and why it was her fault. Then a week or two later she got another hatchling, and I couldn't help myself, I freaked out I told her that was awful. She had no money to take the previous baby to the Vet but now all the sudden she has money to buy another??? I get mad again just thinking about it. You shouldn't get any animal if you can't afford to take them to the Vet. Period. But most people think that tortoises are throw away animals and they don't need to have Vet treatment. They let that animal die and buy another.

Makes me mad just to talk about it again. Anyhow, I am called mean and rude and non caring when I DO care, I care a lot that's why I am here day after day giving out advice and mostly being ignored. But some listen and those babies live. When the keeper sets up the animal correctly and they ask questions, and feed them correctly and soak them and exercise them that animal grows and lives a healthy life.
Oh hell, I sure went off didn't I? Well, I'm sorry. I guess I'd better go soak somebody and watch my NASCAR race...

I think these are all the reasons I like Maggie. Sometimes 'killing them with kindness' doesn't work and they need someone to be "rude" and "mean" to them before they get it. Not that I think Maggie is either of those.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yep, Maggie, you tell it like it is, and you have the tortoises' well being and safety at heart.
That is all that matters.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you all get your drinks, and calm down a little?I will not give care advice on tortoises, I am still very new and still learning. I do and will voice my opinion on any animal abuse, and probably won't be nice about it, sorry, I just don't have it in me to be nice on that subject, l usually go for the throat. I think this is a great place to educate and be educated, have fun, and talk to people about things others don't or can't understand. Hope this thread helped everyone and everyone can continue to be happy, funny and educational.
Sorry, I also am one to write and walk away, but I do come back. I just don't know if I should respond to every response.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laura said:
where have I been? What did I miss? Pass the drinks this way!!!
there have been some issues and heated posts in the past,, but nothing Ive seen recently..
at least... Nothing compared to the past..

Hey! I resemble that remark.

stephiiberrybean said:
I wasn't talking about the opinions or way people offer advice. I often come across a bit harsh. I'm fine with all that.

What I was talking about was theres been a couple of people lately arguing for no reason and it really has annoyed me quite a lot. Especially when there is no need for it. I've seen a couple of people who don't like each other go on at each other.

I was also referring to a few new members who have upset me and a few other members with some comments when they don't know anything about that person and haven't even done there research on that person. Fair enough express your opinions but at least check to see if that person owns a tort, what they own etc.

Oh, for cryin' out loud! Who are we talking about? What threads? Spill it, woman!

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Ok pm me if it's me. If it is me, in a pm say exactly why. Just get it over with! If its not, whew! :)

I feel it's me.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Im sorry but I don't understand why this thread was even started. Seems to me this thread alone has stirred up old feelings. I think if someone is having a problem that they feel they can't handle themselves then pm a mod and don't put it out there for everyone. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it has been a hard day and I like to read TFO threads to de-stress.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I do think it is OK to get stuff off of your chest in this 'off topic chit chat section', but then it is time to have fun again!
Lots of good posts floating around...

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I agree I read this forum to destress and converse on topics I find interesting. I think this thread does help someone de-stress by getting thing off their chest.

If a thread is causing stress unsubscribe and ignore it. If that doesn't work, discuss it and get it off your chest.

All things being equal, we are friends with a common goal and isn't that what makes life worth living.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
dmmj said:
regarding hermit crabs as snacks, some people keep them with their red foots, for bug maintenance and sometimes the red foots will eat them, when they change their shells.

LOL! MY hermits were never dumb enough to change shells when the torts were active. One of my favorite times was watching a crab 'testing out' a couple other shells while the tortoises fed a couple feet away. The crab was cautious, and any noise or movement caused a quick retreat either deep into a too-big shell or the original shell.

Also, just to clarify- worms and isopods (wood lice, pill bugs, etc.) eat the bugs and their eggs. The crabs deal with left over food and wastes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry I thought they were for bug maintenance.(hermit crabs)

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Madkins007 said:
dmmj said:
regarding hermit crabs as snacks, some people keep them with their red foots, for bug maintenance and sometimes the red foots will eat them, when they change their shells.

LOL! MY hermits were never dumb enough to change shells when the torts were active. One of my favorite times was watching a crab 'testing out' a couple other shells while the tortoises fed a couple feet away. The crab was cautious, and any noise or movement caused a quick retreat either deep into a too-big shell or the original shell.

Also, just to clarify- worms and isopods (wood lice, pill bugs, etc.) eat the bugs and their eggs. The crabs deal with left over food and wastes.

and it's great for us up late, adds a little activity in the enclosure at night.

Just for the Record I was never offended by any talk of a Hermit Crabs being a snack.

I think people should be able to voice their opinions but they should also know when to shut up. If someone is doing something you disagree with, tell them, educate them, but than let it go. If they have their way of doing things and their animals are healthy and happy, let it be.

and threads like this prove that people can discuss things, agree or disagree and continue to be part of the same forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.