Paying the vet

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
My old vet (Sedgwicks) just sent a bill at the end of the month and you could pay as much or as little as you wanted. As long you payed at least 5% of the bill total each month they where happy. Sadly they where bought out by a big name veterinary group called milcrofts. who want paying as soon as the treatments done. They do have to option to set up a payment plan if necessary, but it has to be done by direct debit.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The vet I worked for years ago, was the type that would take pay,net in forms of gifts, food, sports tickets, etc, plus cash. This was from his long time friends and older generation customers. When he would give the unknown Joe blow a break, cuz his dog or cat was really bad off, it usually ended up being a loss for us. Luckily he was a great vet and loved animals, heck this guy saved a gopher from drowning in his pool, even though he hated the holes it was putting in his yard. I couldn't let an animal suffer because the owner couldn't pay. Those were the good old days and not in Chicago.
So, for 95.00 just to walk in the door with a tortoise here, to let them tell me everything is fine, no thanks, I will wait until a vet is needed. Then, from the websites careshhets they have, I wouldn't believe most of what they said anyway.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I suppose none of those vet insurances pay for prescriptions?
The insurance for pets, have all different plans to pick from. We had one until this year for our Bull Terrier. With $30,000.00 in vet bills over the first 5 years of having her, the insurance helped out, but out of that amount, they didn't even pay 10,000 of it. Also, there are stipulations of course. I don't think there is any insurance other then for dog and cat. But, I never looked into it.

Turbotort

Florida
I work at a play that does short term loans. I neveeerrrr believe anyone anymore. It's pretty Rediculous the amount of money that is outstanding from returned checks and things. I call 150 people daily trying to collect.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The vet I worked for years ago, was the type that would take pay,net in forms of gifts, food, sports tickets, etc, plus cash. This was from his long time friends and older generation customers. When he would give the unknown Joe blow a break, cuz his dog or cat was really bad off, it usually ended up being a loss for us. Luckily he was a great vet and loved animals, heck this guy saved a gopher from drowning in his pool, even though he hated the holes it was putting in his yard. I couldn't let an animal suffer because the owner couldn't pay. Those were the good old days and not in Chicago.
So, for 95.00 just to walk in the door with a tortoise here, to let them tell me everything is fine, no thanks, I will wait until a vet is needed. Then, from the websites careshhets they have, I wouldn't believe most of what they said anyway.
Wow, 95 bucks just for a visit. That's insane. I know prices very from region to region. Even in my little town there's one clinic that costs 30 to 50% more than all the others. Even there on call after hours emergency bill is 50 bucks more than anybody else in town. I was told it is because they offer services or have training that other vets don't. They even charge of $40 "new pt" charge.
There is only one vet in my town that treats tortoises. She has some knowledge and is very good. But by no means an expert. But she is not afraid to ask for input from the university vet school etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A vet that can and will admit they don't know but will try to find the answer is a great vet. That's how the vet was I worked for.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The insurance for pets, have all different plans to pick from. We had one until this year for our Bull Terrier. With $30,000.00 in vet bills over the first 5 years of having her, the insurance helped out, but out of that amount, they didn't even pay 10,000 of it. Also, there are stipulations of course. I don't think there is any insurance other then for dog and cat. But, I never looked into it.
Wow, that's one expensive dog. In a case like that I would end up being one of those owners that just couldn't pay. I spend a lot of money on my animals but that is in a different league. I'm sorry your dog had so many problems.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I work at a play that does short term loans. I neveeerrrr believe anyone anymore. It's pretty Rediculous the amount of money that is outstanding from returned checks and things. I call 150 people daily trying to collect.
I think that short term loan idea is troublesome in itself. Most of the people that are going to do it or not going to have either the responsibility or the means to ever pay it off. We are a society that wants what we want when we want it which is now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that's one expensive dog. In a case like that I would end up being one of those owners that just couldn't pay. I spend a lot of money on my animals but that is in a different league. I'm sorry your dog had so many problems.

Luckily it wasn't all at once. And thanks. Hopefully it's over at least until she gets old. She is 8 now and a pain in the butt, and just as funny too

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I'm hoping the vet for your tortoises comes out to your place. Or do you have to load up the horse trailer?

~ We have always driven them down to the vet, however if one of the males needed medical attention and it was not practical to transport them we have made arrangements with Dr. Mader. He would travel here if needed, estimated $1,500 because of the travel distance, etc. It would be an all day event for him and one assistant. We have a great relationship with Dr. Mader and feel blessed that he would travel if needed. We can not tress enough the value of a competent tortoise vet. I have been involved with keeping tortoises for over thirty years and rarely have had many medical issues. I can say that my experiences with many vets in regards to tortoises has not been favorable at all, honestly it has been pathetic actually. Finding an experienced and truly competent tortoise vet can challenging!

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
~ We have always driven them down to the vet, however if one of the males needed medical attention and it was not practical to transport them we have made arrangements with Dr. Mader. He would travel here if needed, estimated $1,500 because of the travel distance, etc. It would be an all day event for him and one assistant. We have a great relationship with Dr. Mader and feel blessed that he would travel if needed. We can not tress enough the value of a competent tortoise vet!
I didn't realize the vet was so far away. I guess he better come out for more than just one tortoise maybe.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
~ I totally disagree, none is better than any!
Well true, none is definitely better than any. But stuff happens. That is one dedicated vet to drive five hours. I would think there'd be more exotic animal vets down there, there are so many reptiles down there compared to my neck of the woods. But you have to trust the vet you have that's important. Are you preparing for the storm they're predicting down there? Is it supposed to hit your area?

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob's surgery was $2000, then the emergency hospital was $448 and OSU did an ultasound and now they want $250. I'm on Social Security, I don't have that kind of money and the animal ER did NOTHING, and they want $448, for what? Killing my tortoise???? The surgery took all my money, but I don't think I will pay the ER bill. They did nothing and killed him. All they did was use some sub-q fluids. I have that at home, I could have given him fluids myself for free. I'm so mad, I guess....