VET

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
Has anyone ever taken their tortoise to a vet? Just curious since I hear it cost a GRIP and also hear torts being misdiagnosed or maybe react badly to a certain med while they are sick? I also hear some that NEVER ever have to take theirs to a vet?

Jessie

5 Year Member
I took my little guy once because he had a very noticeable quick change in shell color in certain areas and mood etc. it ended up he had hook worms so they put him on medicine and it worked great. 1 month later he was good as new. He started showing improvement within the first day of meds. It was amazing. I would definitely recommend taking yours to the vet just for a check up. It's definitely worth it if there is something wrong that you never knew was there but it will give you peace of mind if there isn't. When I went to the vet it was less than $100. the most expensive part was the fecal test which was I believe around $30. Not bad at all.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I don't normally take my tortoises in to a Vet. There are times and situations however, when a Vet is needed. Yes, there are good Vets and bad ones, you just hear more of the bad stories. :( It's always wise to know, if an emergency strikes, what Vet your going to use BEFORE you need him/her.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
@Jessie: How did your tort get hook worms?=( I'm glad he/she made it, that's pretty scary.
@Jacqui: I hope one would know of a vet before purchasing a tort LOL But I'm assuming you've never had to take yours in?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I find many new tortoise keepers never have the thought cross their mind before they get a tortoise, that knowing a Vet is a good idea. We tend to think only dogs and cats as going to Vets. I hope that atleast once they do have the tortoise and/or join a place like this, they realize it's something they need to do, even if they never plan on using the Vet.

I have taken a few tortoises and turtles into a Vet. I also have a few local (within a four hour drive) Vets I could use. I also was given the name of a really good one, if I needed to have added help with my Vets or even to ship the animal to.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Do you have any stories about taking them to the vet? Was hoping to hear any stories as well.
I def agree with researching everything before purchase and also purchasing everything they need and also an on/hand vet if needed. =)

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
I've taking my tort to the vet, just call around and check prices. But make sure they know what they are doing

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
nicoleandrocky said:
I've taking my tort to the vet, just call around and check prices. But make sure they know what they are doing

Why did you take the tort to the vet may I ask?

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
MORTYtheTORTY said:
nicoleandrocky said:

Why did you take the tort to the vet may I ask?

It was when i first got him, just to make sure he was healthy :)

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I took Sheldon in once to get checked for worms, since he's from Petco. He had worms. The vet charged me $80 for the exam, fecal, and medication, and $10 for each of the two follow-ups. He let me look through the microscope to see the worms myself, too. That was kinda cool. He also keeps some sulcata rescues. He introduced me.
Needless to say, Sheldon's vet is excellent!

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Talka said:
I took Sheldon in once to get checked for worms, since he's from Petco. He had worms. The vet charged me $80 for the exam, fecal, and medication, and $10 for each of the two follow-ups. He let me look through the microscope to see the worms myself, too. That was kinda cool. He also keeps some sulcata rescues. He introduced me.
Needless to say, Sheldon's vet is excellent!

WORMS =( no bueno...glad sheldon has a good mommy =D That's cool you got a good look at those suckers...what kinda worms did sheldon have? I seen some sulcata tort's in pet stores and they do not look happy =( makes you wanna rescue em all.

Jessie

5 Year Member
MORTYtheTORTY said:
@Jessie: How did your tort get hook worms?=( I'm glad he/she made it, that's pretty scary.
@Jacqui: I hope one would know of a vet before purchasing a tort LOL But I'm assuming you've never had to take yours in?

I honestly have no clue. :(
I rescued him from petco. Didn't know much about torts but figured I could help him out. When I found this forum I was so happy. Then the sudden changed happened and I took him in. Glad I did too. :)

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Shelly said:
Talka said:
He let me look through the microscope to see the worms myself, too.

You can't see worms that way, only the eggs.

HAHAHAHAHA I LOVE YOUR PIC THERE...well the skateboarding tort but the other one where the bowl falls ontop of him LUV IT!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I have taken betty to the vet twice. I took her when I first got her and then again when her beak broke. My reptile vet costs like 50 per visit. I found mine by asking the vet who sees my dog for a recommendation. He sent me to a guy who owns a sulcata. :D

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
my opinion is that if you have a good herp vet you should be in good shape
but I have found that when you try to find a vet that will see reptiles and
they don't have much experience with them then you are probably in trouble.
Also remember when you call for a price on what they charge it is the cost of
the office visit which in my cases have figured double or triple the cost by the time you get out of the door. It is really a finical deli ma and moral when you have paid
100 dollars initially lets say for a reptile, down the road it gets sick and
now its going to cost you two or three times what you paid for it to try
to get it healthy again, (don't forget just because you have taken it to a vet
doesn't mean your reptile will ever get well its a gamble. Now the moral deli ma you have taken on the responsibility to acquire your reptile now you should do
everything in your power to see that it has a healthy life. I would not be the one to pass judgement on what someone else should do in this situation. I set a certain amount of money aside in case I need it for a vet visit, and
try to learn as much as I can to keep my tortoises from making that vet trip.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Kerryann said:
I have taken betty to the vet twice. I took her when I first got her and then again when her beak broke. My reptile vet costs like 50 per visit. I found mine by asking the vet who sees my dog for a recommendation. He sent me to a guy who owns a sulcata. :D

How did the beak break?? =( poor thing...I seen that on animals cops, where they fixed the beak with a synthetic one. After the kids are grown I wanted to use my GI bill and become a Vet tech =D Occupation keeps changing hahaha

ALDABRAMAN said:
We have a vet available if needed, rarely used.

Greg I'm sure you won't ever need a Vet with the way your set up is hahahaha LOTS n LOTS of TLC in FL...I'm actually jealous of your torts I almost want to be one of em hahahahha

Status
Not open for further replies.