Paying the vet

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I have read many threads here where people say their vet requires all the money upfront or the day of service. I realize I am extremely lucky, my veterinarians have always taken payments. I never stretched it out for more than three months but still they allow it without any questions. Maybe because I live in a relatively smaller town, maybe because I've been with these vets for many years, I don't know. I have heard people say they never have taken their toward us to the vet. I wonder if maybe a yearly or by annual check up might be a good plan just to be established with the vet. Then if something costly does come up maybe, just maybe, they would be more likely to take payments. And at least you would know the vet.
I was wondering what other people's experiences are? Are there any vets out there who want to chime in? I'm interested in different views.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have never had a vet that didn't require payment at time of service. Carecredit is an option though. Essentially it is a credit card that a lot of vets (and dentists) will take.

Alaskamike

South Florida
In the vets defense .... It's great when you've established a relationship over time and trust is there. But having been in medical profession myself , you would be amazed at the number of times you get stiffed. Or... You have to expend resources and staff time hounding people who promised to pay but everything else takes precedence over that bill.

You can't repossessed medical care once delivered.

One of my daughters is the CFO of a large dental clinic with 9 dentists , some are oral surgeons. They expend 20% of office time in collections. It is excessive. They even lose deductibles because people just won't be true to their word.

There was a day when the norm was self sac rice and being responsible for ones debt. When a new pair of tennis shoes or going ouT to dinner would have to wait because a bill was owed. Sadly those days seem long gone.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have never had a vet that didn't require payment at time of service. Carecredit is an option though. Essentially it is a credit card that a lot of vets (and dentists) will take.
I have definitely been lucky. I have never heard of care credit. That sounds like it could be a good option. Dentists are expensive also.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
My vet will usually let me pay later at my convenience. Not make multiple payments, but usually will give me a few days to get the money together if it is a hefty bill.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
In the vets defense .... It's great when you've established a relationship over time and trust is there. But having been in medical profession myself , you would be amazed at the number of times you get stiffed. Or... You have to expend resources and staff time hounding people who promised to pay but everything else takes precedence over that bill.

You can't repossessed medical care once delivered.

One of my daughters is the CFO of a large dental clinic with 9 dentists , some are oral surgeons. They expend 20% of office time in collections. It is excessive. They even lose deductibles because people just won't be true to their word.

There was a day when the norm was self sac rice and being responsible for ones debt. When a new pair of tennis shoes or going ouT to dinner would have to wait because a bill was owed. Sadly those days seem long gone.
I agree with all of this. Society is in a sad state.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are you agree that sometimes people surprise you, they swear they will pay and then they just never do. Too much of that and there's not a business anymore. It hurts those of us that will pay, even if it may take a while. And it hurts animals, sometimes there put down strictly because the person can't pay for the treatment they need. So sad.
Has anybody dealt with pet insurance? I haven't and I don't know anybody who has.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I had a friend who dealt with it. It was a nightmare for her because her dog got cancer and when it came time to renew the policy the following year, the company wouldn't allow her to renew because they considered her dog's cancer a "pre existing condition". I don't recall the name of the company.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Wow, sounds like human insurance. God for bid they have to pay anything.
It is amazing how quickly the costs can arise. I spent $800 in three days a while back. And then I had the form of my dogs pill changed from a capsule to a tablet. She wouldn't eat the capsule no matter what I did and I figured the tablet would be easier I could cut it in half and hide it in her peanut butter. Talks to the vet, the tablet was only slightly more milligrams so she said it would be fine. When I went to pick it up it was literally five times the cost. I get my pet medication, some of it anyway, from my own pharmacy for convenience. I was just sick, I went ahead and paid it but I won't do it again. It had to go on the credit card which just kills me. I have to come up with another plan.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
slightly of topic but my help, I believe that most medication, (tablets, creams etc) are available online at a fraction of the cost the clinic charges.

may be 'worth a google' if ongoing treatment is needed?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
slightly of topic but my help, I believe that most medication, (tablets, creams etc) are available online at a fraction of the cost the clinic charges.

may be 'worth a google' if ongoing treatment is needed?
Thanks, but this isn't. It is a prescription pain medication. My dog is old and has severe arthritis. But I will definitely be looking into alternatives.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I did forget to pay the bill once, and it was a couple hundred dollars. We miss placed the bill and just plain forgot about it. After about three months or so I got a letter in the mail, it was polite and friendly but basically said give us money now! I do think that they would not allow me to continue to make payments if I had let that one go much longer.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Wow, sounds like human insurance. God for bid they have to pay anything.
It is amazing how quickly the costs can arise. I spent $800 in three days a while back. And then I had the form of my dogs pill changed from a capsule to a tablet. She wouldn't eat the capsule no matter what I did and I figured the tablet would be easier I could cut it in half and hide it in her peanut butter. Talks to the vet, the tablet was only slightly more milligrams so she said it would be fine. When I went to pick it up it was literally five times the cost. I get my pet medication, some of it anyway, from my own pharmacy for convenience. I was just sick, I went ahead and paid it but I won't do it again. It had to go on the credit card which just kills me. I have to come up with another plan.
I buy All my animal meds online. The only one I can't get is the rabies vacc. I just have my vet provide the script
Been doing this for many years. Even have syringes for shots.
When I established a new vet in Florida and needed vacc updates for my pups I told the clinic right up front I would pay for exam but wanted scripts sent to online pharmacy for vacc & I give them myself.
Saves a bunch.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I buy All my animal meds online. The only one I can't get is the rabies vacc. I just have my vet provide the script
Been doing this for many years. Even have syringes for shots.
When I established a new vet in Florida and needed vacc updates for my pups I told the clinic right up front I would pay for exam but wanted scripts sent to online pharmacy for vacc & I give them myself.
Saves a bunch.
I'll have to look into that. The medicine is gabapentin.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Thanks, but this isn't. It is a prescription pain medication. My dog is old and has severe arthritis. But I will definitely be looking into alternatives.

don't take this as accurate or safe information !! i have known dogs to be given store bought ibuprofen for this very reason.

we are in uk, and my mum found the website for meds that were percribed.. i can ask if she can remember the site if it'll help?

hope you're pooch isn't suffering too much, I have no doubt you pampering.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
don't take this as accurate or safe information !! i have known dogs to be given store bought ibuprofen for this very reason.

we are in uk, and my mum found the website for meds that were percribed.. i can ask if she can remember the site if it'll help?

hope you're pooch isn't suffering too much, I have no doubt you pampering.
Ibuprofen should never be given to dogs. I don't think you can even give acetaminophen. She is on Rimadyl, gabapentin, and tramadol. This is basically pallets of care. Keeping her comfortable and add a decent quality of life. I'll do it as long as She has quality life. Eventually that I will probably have to make that tough decision.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Ibuprofen should never be given to dogs. I don't think you can even give acetaminophen. She is on Rimadyl, gabapentin, and tramadol. This is basically pallets of care. Keeping her comfortable and add a decent quality of life. I'll do it as long as She has quality life. Eventually that I will probably have to make that tough decision.

i'll pass that on! (not my dog) sadly mine are all gone :(.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I believe you can get those at online pet meds. At about 1/4-1/3 rd the cost. You order , and supply your vets info. They contact the vet for the script. Comes quick for me.
I've taken 4 dogs through this end of life thing. It's difficult I know.
My heart goes out to you.