VET

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
TRUE DAT lol jk
Yes it is ones own choice to make that move on a career that they are indeed passionate about...He probably just had a hard days work, I've read and seen what goes on in that field and some days are crazy hectic and dealing with certain people and some days are smooth and fun but I can't wait to go back to school once the kiddos are grown :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
exoticsdr said:
Shelly said:
jesst said:
most vets and vet tech are not in it for the money, we get paid very little.

Most veterinarians make a very comfortable living. Some make a great deal of money.

As do most electricians, plumbers, home builders, used car salesmen, grocers, professional panhandlers and prostitutes...but NONE of those had to spend upwards of 250 THOUSAND dollars for schooling for the privledge of practicing....not to mention the EIGHT years of study and giving up family functions, visits with the kids and their new families, and numerous other little life functions that get ignored so you can study for tests, quizzes, and later, because your clients are in desparate need of your help at 2:30am on a Saturday morning ( for a problem that they have been ignoring for 2 months). It's all good, and I'm proud of and very happy with my profession (and the medical advice that I dole out here for FREE to those that have asked) Doc

Generalities and blanket statements SUCK and are beneath most of the members that I see here on TFO.

A wonderful wonderful post!

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
exoticsdr said:
As do most electricians, plumbers, home builders, used car salesmen, grocers, professional panhandlers and prostitutes...but NONE of those had to spend upwards of 250 THOUSAND dollars for schooling for the privledge of practicing....not to mention the EIGHT years of study and giving up family functions, visits with the kids and their new families, and numerous other little life functions that get ignored so you can study for tests, quizzes, and later, because your clients are in desparate need of your help at 2:30am on a Saturday morning ( for a problem that they have been ignoring for 2 months). It's all good, and I'm proud of and very happy with my profession (and the medical advice that I dole out here for FREE to those that have asked) Doc

Generalities and blanket statements SUCK and are beneath most of the members that I see here on TFO.

Thanks doc.....so true, I didnt mean to offend with the blanket statement but felt the profession and the many exellent dr's out there like yourself and the ones that I have had the pleasure to work with had to be defended.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
exoticsdr said:
Shelly said:
jesst said:

Most veterinarians make a very comfortable living. Some make a great deal of money.

Your statement above contains MANY generalities and blanket statements. The difference is that while my generality is correct, many of yours are not.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Terms and phrases like "most" "very" "comfortable" "some" "great deal of money", etc., are quite relative.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
jesst said:
exoticsdr said:

Thanks doc.....so true, I didnt mean to offend with the blanket statement but felt the profession and the many exellent dr's out there like yourself and the ones that I have had the pleasure to work with had to be defended.

Jess...you post in NO way made me post this.....hope your baby is doing fine....kind of miss her here....smile.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
OMG!! This isn't about sides and arguing...what's said is done and I'm sure everyone got off the wrong foot and misunderstood eachother. Everyone is right in their own way and there is no wrong answers here...let it go already and let other people have a chance to post their own stories and what they've been through with their vets. REGARDLESS if it offends you, it's not you or people you know that they are talking about in this thread...everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There's good and bad everywhere you go and that cannot be stopped. If you want to make your own thread then have at it but it's pointless to go back and forth with eachother on here...SORRY but it's just pointless to me and seems like drama

**There goes my pregnancy hormones**lol

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Shelly said:
exoticsdr said:
Shelly said:
jesst said:

Your statement above contains MANY generalities and blanket statements. The difference is that while my generality is correct, many of yours are not.

As usual, you and I will NEVER see eye-to-eye and I actually prefer it that way. Auf wiedersehn! Doc

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
exoticsdr said:
Jess...you post in NO way made me post this.....hope your baby is doing fine....kind of miss her here....smile.

Just wanted to make sure I didnt offend :) she is doing great, eating like a little piglet...we love her so much. She is a character, not shy at all. Thank you for such a wonderful little girl :)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
StudentoftheReptile said:
Terms and phrases like "most" "very" "comfortable" "some" "great deal of money", etc., are quite relative.

Who cares what anyone makes if they are working their butts off for it??? With any service industry if you don't agree with what someone charges you have the right to go and get a better price somewhere else.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Kerryann said:
StudentoftheReptile said:

Who cares what anyone makes if they are working their butts off for it??? With any service industry if you don't agree with what someone charges you have the right to go and get a better price somewhere else.

My only point was what is a "great deal of money" for some people may not be that much for others....and of course, when you account for bills, food on the table, gas, etc, and all the other million things in life that eat away at our finances, even the so-called "financially-well off" sometimes are just barely scrapping by like the just of us. Vets included.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
My Vet was excellent until I took Walter in for his check up a few days after getting him. How he behaved with Walter ruined my good opinion of him. Yes he's a good veterinarian, and yes he's been seeing my animals since I was small and my first hamster got sick. Now however I really doubt him, all it took was one completely horrible visit. His most memorable blunders were saying that the breeding that causes small tortoises was to blame for Walters underbite, like small dogs, small tortoises are created by selective breeding of larger tortoises to cause smaller offspring. His second was to wave Walter like a maraca until Walter started squealing in terror and lost control of his bodily functions. The part that really bugged me however is that when I pointed out that Hermann's tortoises exist in the wild, shouldn't have underbites, and definitely shouldn't have pyramided shells (which he said showed his excellent health) he proceed to freak out about how I was uneducated and obviously wrong and shouldn't believe all the BS on the Internet. Arguably once he figured out that he was not doing a good job pulling the wool over eyes he just left, and he only charged 1/3 of his regular price.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Bow said:
My Vet was excellent until I took Walter in for his check up a few days after getting him. How he behaved with Walter ruined my good opinion of him. Yes he's a good veterinarian, and yes he's been seeing my animals since I was small and my first hamster got sick. Now however I really doubt him, all it took was one completely horrible visit. His most memorable blunders were saying that the breeding that causes small tortoises was to blame for Walters underbite, like small dogs, small tortoises are created by selective breeding of larger tortoises to cause smaller offspring. His second was to wave Walter like a maraca until Walter started squealing in terror and lost control of his bodily functions. The part that really bugged me however is that when I pointed out that Hermann's tortoises exist in the wild, shouldn't have underbites, and definitely shouldn't have pyramided shells (which he said showed his excellent health) he proceed to freak out about how I was uneducated and obviously wrong and shouldn't believe all the BS on the Internet. Arguably once he figured out that he was not doing a good job pulling the wool over eyes he just left, and he only charged 1/3 of his regular price.

:( Hope you found a trustworthy vet after that.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Bow said:

Heavens, that's terrible. It's one thing if they genuinely admit that they don't know something. I'm okay with that; shows honesty, and perhaps initiative that they're willing to learn. But when they abuse their degree to spout off pure BS to fill in the gaps in their education (at an animal's expense, no less), then its hard to trust them after that. Obviously, it does put you in an awkward position of trying to explain to them that you know more about the issue than they do, which of course, even with utmost tact and politeness, will hurt their inflated ego.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Bow said:

Why do you hate veterinarians so much?
Just kidding. Unfortunately, the behavior you describe is all too common with Veterinarians unfamiliar with exotic animals. Rather than being forthright about their lack of experience, they just tend to "wing it".

Status
Not open for further replies.