Oh man. . . I hate when that happens!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Everyone, please feel free to post your "hate when that happens" vents here. I'll start:

At my age ambition is fleeting and doesn't happen often. So I was feeling a bit energetic and there's lots that need doing outside, so I donned my big shade hat, grabbed a charged battery and my strimmer (shorthand for string trimmer) and headed out to the leopard pasture. I made two passes across the shorter end of the large rectangle when SPROING!!! line went spiraling off and wrapping around the end of the strimmer. Evidently I had used it so much, down close to the ground, that I wore out the plastic cover that holds the line spool in. It was paper thin and just fell apart. I ordered the part but it won't be here until the 11th. So there goes today's bit of ambition. Kindle and recliner here I come!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
To tell you the truth 😉 sometimes I get up raring to go at it on a project. Like the day I was trying to get some weeding done in my back flower bed. I even had people helping me to get her done. And well... with all the digging out popped 2 cute toads. So... I had to say we're done for the day!!!! I'm ashamed to say I wasn't too disappointed 🥴 there's always maybe tomorrow.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have had the weed Wacker one happen to me too. Except the string runs out.
When I'm in the mood to do stuff like that, it's very disappointed when something goes wrong, ugh
One of my biggest. I get dishes done, or house clean and someone comes in and either dirtys more dishes or puts something down where it doesn't belong, ugh.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Once upon a time, in a moment of sheer brilliance, I prepped my lawnmower for the start of the season. Once done, it started right up and I proceeded to cut the grass. I looked behind me and noticed it wasn't cutting. Moral of this story: it's important to put the blade back on after sharpening. Lesson learned.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's nightfall and everyone goes out and I am alone at last and so glad! I shower, fix a favorite snack and settle into bed with a terrific new book. The power cuts and I am in darkness. No generator. Yes, it happens. Where are the candles? Matches? Darn it...!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Did I silence the competition? I hope not! Come on, people. This is a good topic! You all don't hold back.

EricW

Houston, TX
I hate it when I start too many projects and not enough to time to get any of the finished. Then I have stuff everywhere and I cannot find it when I need it. I spend all my time finding the stuff that by the time I get it all together, I ran out of time. It then sits another month or so until I get back to it. In that time, I may have moved the stuff around and I repeat the cycle lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everyone, please feel free to post your "hate when that happens" vents here. I'll start:

At my age ambition is fleeting and doesn't happen often. So I was feeling a bit energetic and there's lots that need doing outside, so I donned my big shade hat, grabbed a charged battery and my strimmer (shorthand for string trimmer) and headed out to the leopard pasture. I made two passes across the shorter end of the large rectangle when SPROING!!! line went spiraling off and wrapping around the end of the strimmer. Evidently I had used it so much, down close to the ground, that I wore out the plastic cover that holds the line spool in. It was paper thin and just fell apart. I ordered the part but it won't be here until the 11th. So there goes today's bit of ambition. Kindle and recliner here I come!
Oh I had a similar one yesterday. Got up early and mowed about an acre of foxtails in the tortoise pens, because I'm tired of getting them in my socks and shoes, and then I started weed whacking. After a god our of whacking weeds, I had to climb/crawl into this one area that is a tangle of weedy trees and shrubs and I had about three feet left to go when the weed whacker ran out of string. By the time I disentangled myself and the weed whacker and extricated myself from the area, I just didn't have the heart to climb back in there and finish it. I just left the weed whacker sitting there on the table, empty of string, finished my other chores, and then went to work to go earn a living.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Oh I had a similar one yesterday. Got up early and mowed about an acre of foxtails in the tortoise pens, because I'm tired of getting them in my socks and shoes, and then I started weed whacking. After a god our of whacking weeds, I had to climb/crawl into this one area that is a tangle of weedy trees and shrubs and I had about three feet left to go when the weed whacker ran out of string. By the time I disentangled myself and the weed whacker and extricated myself from the area, I just didn't have the heart to climb back in there and finish it. I just left the weed whacker sitting there on the table, empty of string, finished my other chores, and then went to work to go earn a living.
and then today it rains, with no notice from the weather apps. Hope the weed whacker is ok!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You should have titled this "I hate my weed wacker.." (ww)

I had two 100 foot orange electrical cords and we finally got sun, so I plugged one in and ran it out full length to the ww and had no power...so I investigate to see why, and the last time I used it, my trimmer cut it off...sh*t. So I hunt hard for the other cord and it was not anywhere, so I decided I had cut that one too...heck. I hopped in the IROC and went to town, and like I actually had money I paid $30 for a new cord...and went to hook it up...and as I looked something was plugged in already....oh hell the old cord...but that is not the end of the story...this is... I plugged the old cord into the ww and went to work....a car honked at me so as I looked up, the ww whacked it's way completely thru the cord...sure am glad I have that new one....the endDSCN0968.JPG

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I had the same thing last week. Hedge trimmer caught my cord. BARELY made a nick but it was enough... better safe than sorry I guess

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should have titled this "I hate my weed wacker.." (ww)

I had two 100 foot orange electrical cords and we finally got sun, so I plugged one in and ran it out full length to the ww and had no power...so I investigate to see why, and the last time I used it, my trimmer cut it off...sh*t. So I hunt hard for the other cord and it was not anywhere, so I decided I had cut that one too...heck. I hopped in the IROC and went to town, and like I actually had money I paid $30 for a new cord...and went to hook it up...and as I looked something was plugged in already....oh hell the old cord...but that is not the end of the story...this is... I plugged the old cord into the ww and went to work....a car honked at me so as I looked up, the ww whacked it's way completely thru the cord...sure am glad I have that new one....the endView attachment 356576
Most of my electric tools are now battery powered.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Most of my electric tools are now battery powered.
Mine too. I learned better than to trust me with cords a long time ago. But another thing I hate about me is.... I spend all day looking for something I really need for a project. So when I finally find it I put it somewhere safe. Somewhere I know I'll be able to find it next time I need it. That's always my famous last words. Project pops up 😭 can't find it 😝🙃

NamedNut

SW Washington
Pulled out to the riding mower for the first time this year a week ago and it was running like poo, pulled the carb apart, cleaned put back together and bam runs great, 15 mins later and I'm almost done with the front yard and some debris in the fuel line clogged the sum-bish up again. I proceeded to nurse it back into the shop and there it sits. I went inside and sat down with my grumpy face on.

Back yard is now 12" tall.

Still grumpy.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Mine too. I learned better than to trust me with cords a long time ago. But another thing I hate about me is.... I spend all day looking for something I really need for a project. So when I finally find it I put it somewhere safe. Somewhere I know I'll be able to find it next time I need it. That's always my famous last words. Project pops up 😭 can't find it 😝🙃
Oh and forgot to mention that I always forget where I put the chargers and which one goes to what tools 😁 but at least I keep all those around each other. I've learned to label them but I have to get my reading glasses on to read it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pulled out to the riding mower for the first time this year a week ago and it was running like poo, pulled the carb apart, cleaned put back together and bam runs great, 15 mins later and I'm almost done with the front yard and some debris in the fuel line clogged the sum-bish up again. I proceeded to nurse it back into the shop and there it sits. I went inside and sat down with my grumpy face on.

Back yard is now 12" tall.

Still grumpy.
I had something similar. . .

I'm not a mechanic, and there's no one I can call upon to do mechanic things for me, so truck or lawnmower, I have to hire it done.

I bought my little toy rider from Sears a couple years ago, and every Spring I call Sears Home Services and they send out a technician to service the toy mower. It's only been a couple weeks since he was here, to the tune of $265. . . not quite half of that was the callout fee. So now here it is, a couple weeks later, and I mowed the Russian yard, the CDT yard and started on the Texas yard when the engine started to lope. I continued to mow and after another pass it died, never to start again! It has fresh gas. So I put in another call to Sears Home Services. By this time me and the technician are on a first name basis. Neal will be here Friday between 1p and 5p.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh and forgot to mention that I always forget where I put the chargers and which one goes to what tools 😁 but at least I keep all those around each other. I've learned to label them but I have to get my reading glasses on to read it.
There's a shelf in my garage dedicated to charging

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I proceeded to nurse it back into the shop

Seafoam! Dump it in your tank before you disassemble the carb again, when it goes back together, it's be fine....but cut a filter in there somewhere is you can! A riding mower...should have a couple gallons of gas to mix a full can of Seafoam...don't worry bout that label, pour it in!

Y's machine sounds like it is leaning out, it will start, maybe with full choke but that screw needs to be turned in, the one on the right if there are two. There' a rule about if the screw is before or after the carb, but like this thread title, I hate when I can't remember what it is!