I hate tortoise forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Wo wo wo people before i get blown up, is it just me or dose anyone else feel tort envy every time they get on to the forum of all the smoothed shelled tortoises? Before the forum i had some fairly smooth tortoises(not as smooth as the ones now on the humid approach), but smooth none the less and now i feel like all bragging rights are gone. With the threads here they make it as easy as eating breakfast to raise a smooth tortoise. So for this i hate you tfo lol.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Lmao...i came in ready for a fight when i saw the header, lol...i agree though, lotsa awesome folks here with tons of great info.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
How dare you!!! Kidding, hoping to get a rise out of you. What kind of turtle/tortoise do you have? How long have you been reading he forum? I've never seen you post, so do you have any questions.

I recently posted a thread on my 13.5 month sulcata, because I did not find my Dexters shell smooth, but others said much differently. Here's dexter as of yesterday.
A1A8E307-2078-45F0-8C26-BED7826A1D83-7724-000004AD2349D985_zps04d767cf.jpg

B689C640-2B71-4E55-82CC-2C7D7D8544F7-7724-000004AD2CC670E9_zpseaea82e3.jpg

Dexter looks perfect in the first image, but you can tell that theirs bumps on the second. Dexter is growing at a rap rate for the age. Is currently 1,020 grams.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You sure got my attention. I was going to put you down to watch really close LOL. I hate that I can't have all the tortoises I see on here. I also hate I didn't find this forum before I found my tort. However, I really love this forum and that there are so many tortoise lovers out there and crazies like you:p :D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
wellington said:
so many tortoise lovers out there and crazies like you:p :D

Who you calling crazy, crazy!!! Kidding, we are all crazy in our own sense. Crazy for animals, I believe.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I don't because I think we over rate smooth shells. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's nice to see a tortoise with a fairly smooth shell, however, the slightly bumpy ones are cute too. And the terribly bumpy ones, the ones with bad MBD, well those are very near and dear to my heart!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I suffer from the same tortoise envy...

Still, I love all the pics and success stories.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yvonne G said:
It's nice to see a tortoise with a fairly smooth shell, however, the slightly bumpy ones are cute too. And the terribly bumpy ones, the ones with bad MBD, well those are very near and dear to my heart!

I totally agree with you. Those are the "special" and "precious" ones.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Hahaha. Made us look. Good one!

Smooth tortoises reflect the evolution of tortoise keeping thanks to the collective experiences of all these fine folks on this forum. Bumpy tortoises are awesome simply because they are imperfectly perfect. And hopefully tortoises in better care from wiser keepers will be okay from the didn't know better.

All good.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Okay, I came into this thread because I was probably gonna scream at you in all caps about how flippin amazing tfo is, but i do see your point. I, however suffer from a different tort envy; whenever I see people with like a billion tortoises who get to breed them and see the babies being hatched and have cool outdoor enclosures for them and stuff like that I get so jealous of them, because I want that for daisy (and me... :) )...

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
LOL :) you got my attention :)

Life is good

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
THAT WAS GOOD! .....<heh> .....:D

But let me give you “peace” of mind…..a few things to consider , most of the tortoises you see in here are no where near adults or shall I say … “aged adults” . Even with the best humidity and diet , there will be *to a degree* what some might call pyramiding
( another issue….how one defines pyramiding and to what degree) but sometimes this is merely what a 20+ year old tort looks like that is still growing! The next happy pill….As true as it holds many “ wild caught” tortoises are very smooth , but as far as private collections there just isn’t the same numbers and time frames to compare CB animals in this day and age( at least here in the USA) . Thus viewing those gorgeous “ slick ricks” don’t be too hard on yourself. And yes there a lot of very *special, knowledgeable folks in here... in all sorts of issues , and others who write so well …..who would have thought tortoises would bring all these great minds and fun together… eh? :rolleyes:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
How old would a tortoise be before you can stop worrying about them pyramiding? Would 6 years old be considered full grown for a Cherry Head?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
terryo said:
How old would a tortoise be before you can stop worrying about them pyramiding? Would 6 years old be considered full grown for a Cherry Head?

Terry ..that is a youngster....some might consider " young adult" even with the so called clause of "CH" earlier maturity. .....Oscar and Queen Elizabeth ae both over 18 years and still growing ...I have hatchlings from 6 years ago that are a 1/3 of the size of the adult parents from which they came from . Especially when it comes to
"bulk" .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
terryo said:

Terry K. told me that you can never stop worrying about it with a red foot. He said, (paraphrasing) if there is growth, there can be pyramiding.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Ya i have been with the forum for a little less than a year i believe. I have had a few dt's leopards Russians and sulcutas. Im an avid reader, i read enough posts a day that some times when i get on line there aren't any new ones. I do a little posting, but not a ton.

You do raise a good point. It is mostly juveniles and hatchlings on here that you see aren't pyramiding.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I was hoping to read all the fighting that I was sure there would be. What a bummer:p No, really, the crazies are those who aren't members of this forum!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I'm still not exactly sure when you can stop worrying about pyramiding with a leopard. I've heard quite a few conflicting opinions/experiences. I've heard after 5 years, then someone came on here and said theirs didn't pyramid until it was 5.

I think in another year or so I'll just stop worrying about it. Honestly, the thing I hate about this forum is it makes you worry about things you otherwise wouldn't have cared about. That's good I guess for the animal, but can be frustrating for some people, especially when it's too late....

Status
Not open for further replies.