I hate tortoise forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
This is soo true. The forum has opened my eyes to many things. I am glad that i dont have to worry about my tort pyramiding anymore with the methods here. I used to spend hours with my face smashed up against a terrarium wondering if my little companions were pyramiding.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Mine started out with a small amount on a couple scutes because I didn't have the humidity quite high enough at 55-70%, day and night. Or because the breeder started it out dry. But after raising, it's been smooth sailing.

Worrying comes with joining any animal forum I've found. I know I'll worry about something and wind up spending more money. When I joined a dog forum a few years ago it was like I'd never owned a dog before. The same with fish and other reptiles. Felt so new. lol

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Smooth shells are overrated. Sure, low humidity, poor diet, and inadequate light can all lead to pyramiding and other shell defects. However, some tortoise species naturally have a small degree of pyramiding, and I've seen tortoises in the wild with a little bit of pyramiding, too. You can tell when a shell is healthy, or for that matter, when the animal is healthy overall. If you have a healthy pet, there's nothing to be envious of ... except maybe nice enclosures and backyards! :D

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Smooth shells are overrated.

I agree. You don't see many with perfectly round egg-smooth shells, especially leopards and stars. I've always liked just a little texture to the shell. Not the Swiss Alps or anything, although torts with extreme pyramiding shouldn't be thought any less of IMO.

I think pyramiding is the #1 issue that worries people on this forum. And they get so discouraged if their tort shows the smallest signs of it. But, again, that comes with the territory. Forums often make you feel inadequate in some way due to issues like this.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tortus said:
I agree. You don't see many with perfectly round egg-smooth shells, especially leopards and stars. I've always liked just a little texture to the shell. Not the Swiss Alps or anything, although torts with extreme pyramiding shouldn't be thought any less of IMO.

Yes, mild pyramiding is natural in some species. Extreme pyramiding is a skeletal disorder, though. If a tortoise with serious pyramiding were to get flipped onto his back, he would have a tougher time righting himself, and would be more likely to overheat and die. However, that doesn't mean you can't love that pet, or help him improve from then on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its not a contest to see who can raise the smoothest tortoise. Its all about learning and everyone doing the best they can for their animals. No one should feel inadequate because of shell appearance. Someone SHOULD feel inadequate if they know how to take better care of their tortoise and choose not to.

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Tom said:
Its not a contest to see who can raise the smoothest tortoise. Its all about learning and everyone doing the best they can for their animals. No one should feel inadequate because of shell appearance. Someone SHOULD feel inadequate if they know how to take better care of their tortoise and choose not to.

Wait a second you mean there is no prize money for smooth shells. I had it wrong this whole time :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Tom I agree with what you're saying. It just bothers me when I see some people get so beat up over mild pyramiding, even when they think they've done everything right. Or when they received the tort like that and don't get good results.

It really does feel like a contest at times. When people rave over super-smooth torts. I think that's what makes some feel inadequate since it is such a hot topic. People have complimented me on mine which isn't perfectly smooth, but even I feel inadequate at times because it's not like an egg. lol

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: I hate tortoise forum

Tom said:

Well put. :)

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortus said:
Tom I agree with what you're saying. It just bothers me when I see some people get so beat up over mild pyramiding, even when they think they've done everything right. Or when they received the tort like that and don't get good results.

It really does feel like a contest at times. When people rave over super-smooth torts. I think that's what makes some feel inadequate since it is such a hot topic. People have complimented me on mine which isn't perfectly smooth, but even I feel inadequate at times because it's not like an egg. lol

What do you think ought to be done about this? This is a tortoise forum. In the past few years, great strides have been made in the art of raising healthy, "natural" looking tortoises. People are proud of their accomplishments and want to share the good news with other like minded tortoise keepers. And rightfully so. I don't see the harm in that, and I don't see why anyone who is a victim of the "old" way should feel bad for their ignorance. I have some of the most grotesquely pyramided tortoises on this site. They were started all wrong and the advice I chose to follow many years ago left them stunted and pyramided. I did not know any better, and followed the advice of supposed "experts". I was ignorant. It does not upset me in any way when someone post pics of a smooth youngster. It does not make me feel sad, belittled, jealous, incompetent, or inadequate. Quite the contrary, it makes me VERY happy that at least some of the tortoise world has turned a corner and things are getting better "out there". Every new pic of a smooth tortoise literally thrills me despite the myriad mistakes I made in the past, or maybe BECAUSE of the mistakes I made in the past. I am so happy to see anyone and everyone who is NOT making those same mistakes. And I still post pics of my old tortoises from back in my old days. I'm not proud of their appearance, but they are healthy and I still love them.

I guess I'm going on and on about this because I don't want anyone to NOT post pics for fear of somehow hurting someone else's feelings. The more smooth tortoise pics the better. It should serve only to encourage others to strive for greatness. Man, if someone wins the championship, we should salute and praise them, not tell them to hush up because second or third place might get their feelings hurt. Second or third place should try harder next time, and then THEY will receive all the accolades a champion deserves. What I am saying is that one person's success and noteworthy accomplishments, should not injure the self esteem of someone else who, for whatever reason, did not quite make the grade yet.

It seems sensitivity is not my strong point...

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I think you got me all wrong. Or I said something all wrong; it's been a long day. All I'm saying is that perfectionists can get a little bent out of shape when they notice a little pyramiding. I've talked to some in PM about it.

I'm not saying don't post pics of smooth tortoises. I post pics of mine and I wouldn't consider it pyramided. That gives people inspiration on what to do next time or how to correct current pyramiding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortus said:
I think you got me all wrong. Or I said something all wrong; it's been a long day. All I'm saying is that perfectionists can get a little bent out of shape when they notice a little pyramiding. I've talked to some in PM about it.

I'm not saying don't post pics of smooth tortoises. I post pics of mine and I wouldn't consider it pyramided. That gives people inspiration on what to do next time or how to correct current pyramiding.

Oh I see what you mean. You think some people are overly-critical about the state of other people's tortoise's shells sometimes. Gotcha. Well, I agree with you there. For me, it is sometimes a fine line between letting a new person know there is a problem, so they can fix it, and sounding overly harsh or critical. I find it terribly disheartening when a new person joins the forum and they've been following the typical dry and dehydrated advice. I totally understand how and why it happens, but it saddens me greatly none the less. I'm sure that comes across in my words sometimes. My goal is to help the person understand, but sadness for a mistake that can never be undone is hard for me to mask. I've made the same mistake myself, so I know all about it.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yes, and even many long-time breeders are still doing things the dry way. The breeder I got mine from has some beautiful tortoises, but they always end up pyramided. I showed him pics of mine after turning 5 months old and he was amazed at how smooth it is. I explained my methods and recommended this forum so he could learn something.

Saying that may have offended him because he never responded. Not sure if he joined the forum or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.