Live naked people

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Moisture on the glass only demonstrates a temp difference between inside and outside and Water comes out of the air because on the difference. It's not a reliable way to observe RH.
My digital read out read 99% on the RH.
Mmm, I need to find a way to reduce the moisture on the plexiglass so I can observe through it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Nearly got everything I need Will, then it's the waiting game for the lady to lay eggs. Believe it or not the hardest thing to get was plastic cups with lids without a god damn hole in it for a straw.
Anyway, In this chick experiment they burnt a series of 10 holes in the polymethylpentene for ventilation. Then just 1 hole in the cup for the tube(oxygen in).
Then because at some point the vains were bright red they forced pure oxygen in to compensate for oxygen starvation.
What's the point of having 1 hole feeding 10 holes to get oxygen to the embryo. I'm thinking if they had more holes in the cup then oxygen starvation wouldn't have happened.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Nearly got everything I need Will, then it's the waiting game for the lady to lay eggs. Believe it or not the hardest thing to get was plastic cups with lids without a god damn hole in it for a straw.
Anyway, In this chick experiment they burnt a series of 10 holes in the polymethylpentene for ventilation. Then just 1 hole in the cup for the tube(oxygen in).
Then because at some point the vains were bright red they forced pure oxygen in to compensate for oxygen starvation.
What's the point of having 1 hole feeding 10 holes to get oxygen to the embryo. I'm thinking if they had more holes in the cup then oxygen starvation wouldn't have happened.

It might be about the size of the holes. One large inlet of oxygen and many smaller outlets would assure that the vessels does not become 'pressurized', and that air flow is over the whole area not just a simple in one place and out another, which might not have a good 'mixing' effect.

Like a hose and a sprinkler, but with less pressure build up?

I have to image there was much trial and error, and they only published what worked.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It might be about the size of the holes. One large inlet of oxygen and many smaller outlets would assure that the vessels does not become 'pressurized', and that air flow is over the whole area not just a simple in one place and out another, which might not have a good 'mixing' effect.

Like a hose and a sprinkler, but with less pressure build up?

I have to image there was much trial and error, and they only published what worked.
Agreed, More holes in the polymethylpentene to reduce pressure but control is achieved via 1 hole.
I was thinking of doing some vessels exactly as they did and some with more tube inlets. Say 2 and 3 inlets on some vessels.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Will. Just been messing around with my set up. I need to make sure I don't do any amateur mistakes with the set up so a few questions I could do with your input on please.

In the chick experiment....

It says 0.01% benzalkonium chloride solution. So in the 40ml solution is that 0.4ml or 0.004ml of BAC50. (is it 1% or 0.01 of a %). The latter seems a very small amount.

In the processing of the polymethylpentene film it says after I've pre-stretched it to the size and shape of an egg, " The film should then be aspirated using an aspirator equipped with a plastic cup, which has the same diameter as the artificial vessel." What's that mean?( Leave it to relax in a spare cup in air).

Also, does it really matter what humidity the incubator is at, because the actual vessels will be at 100%(or should be) anyway.

Will be doing 5 cups, below is just me doing a dummy run to see how heat and humidity settles down. I'll make sure there's no reflections showing in the window when it's set up for the actual experiment.
IMG_20161112_230623.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well Will, the lady dropped a clutch of 9 late last night. When I get home tonight the games shall begin. Hope near on 24hrs after laying isn't too late.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Fuming, I just got everything ready, and opened the polymethylpentene that I bought from USA because it's a third of the price that it is over here and it's the wrong s**t.
I ordered
12"x12ft transparent,
I got 12"x12" frosted. So size and type totally wrong. I wait for an email response from the supplier.
Eggs in incubator now.
Not a happy chappy.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Fuming, I just got everything ready, and opened the polymethylpentene that I bought from USA because it's a third of the price that it is over here and it's the wrong s**t.
I ordered
12"x12ft transparent,
I got 12"x12" frosted. So size and type totally wrong. I wait for an email response from the supplier.
Eggs in incubator now.
Not a happy chappy.
:(

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I understand disappointment with the ploy... but nine eggs, that's happy.
Yep, she's laid 48 eggs in the last 11 months. With the last 9 being 100% success. I have 10 of hers in the window of opportunity plus this latest clutch of 9.
Bit more good news last night too, one of my other females laid a clutch of 6. First clutch ever, we've found on 3 occasions a couple of random eggs on the surface, I assume some from this female. These 6 eggs were burried perfect next too a palm.
The experiment can wait for now.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My wife calls them dinasours. They ate all this and more on a cooler temp day. Medea is getting a headstart.
Look at the scales on those forelimbs, there amazing. That's some serious armour, do these guys have an aggressive nature?

We're dinosaurs warm or cold blooded or neither?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Look at the scales on those forelimbs, there amazing. That's some serious armour, do these guys have an aggressive nature?

We're dinosaurs warm or cold blooded or neither?

If they feel you are there for a pushing contest they will rake those scales on you, but otherwise I'm pretty much just the tree the food drops from. It's that slow silent creep they do, and then you feel the clumsy bite on the back of your leg, that's why she calls them dinosaurs. The hose bib is in the tortoise pen. You can't not pay attention.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If they feel you are there for a pushing contest they will rake those scales on you, but otherwise I'm pretty much just the tree the food drops from. It's that slow silent creep they do, and then you feel the clumsy bite on the back of your leg, that's why she calls them dinosaurs. The hose bib is in the tortoise pen. You can't not pay attention.
That's funny.
All our reds bite, it's like a scene from the walking dead when I go into the Tortoise house, coming at me from all directions.
I used to let them bite me to see if it hurt, one day it did, now I don't.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know the part that makes it look dirty is soaked and smashed alfalfa/Bermuda hay cubes, but the rest ???

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
It's actually raining today so nothing that can get washed away. Whole heads of romaine, whole summer squash and cucumber. Special for today whole heads of raddichio.
Where do you source all your vegetables?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
There is a chain called "resturant depot" I was turned on to it by Barry Lambert of spectrumreptiles. They are cash or wholesale. Some of there prices are not so competative. I also swing by any one of three Smart and Final stores where near out of date produce is marked 50% off. And lastly I will go to another chain store "H-mart" where they too offer near out of date or 'damaged' produce for silly low prices. The pellets I get at a tack and feed store.