Live naked people

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I know the part that makes it look dirty is soaked and smashed alfalfa/Bermuda hay cubes, but the rest ???
That 'rest" not sure what you mean. I also added some crushed oyster shell and a little vionate. But it's mostly 'dirty' looking from the cubes. This particular salad had banana in it to help make the moisten mixed cube stick to everything else.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That 'rest" not sure what you mean. I also added some crushed oyster shell and a little vionate. But it's mostly 'dirty' looking from the cubes. This particular salad had banana in it to help make the moisten mixed cube stick to everything else.

Someone asked what you were feeding in that picture. All I knew to say was the cubes, the rest of the items I didn't know.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for fielding questions for me. Opuntia, red cabbage, yellow summer squash, banana, Apple, dragon fruit, cucumbers, romaine butts, oyster shell, vionate. 14 pounds total for breakfast. Dinner was romaine with sticky (has molasses in it) horse pellets.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
These images taken by a friend document the first Manouria impressa eggs to hatch in captivity. That was 1995, the neonate eating mango was 8 months later in May 1996. I always referred to the breeder as the 'Secret turtle lady of San Jose'. Privacy is important, but so is an accurate awareness of firsts and success.

Attachments

• 1481645874324.jpg
    1481645874324.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 1481645884605.jpg
    1481645884605.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 1481645895875.jpg
    1481645895875.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 27

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
These images taken by a friend document the first Manouria impressa eggs to hatch in captivity. That was 1995, the neonate eating mango was 8 months later in May 1996. I always referred to the breeder as the 'Secret turtle lady of San Jose'. Privacy is important, but so is an accurate awareness of firsts and success.
I'll bet that day was one of the best days of the secret ladies life. Good stuff.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
No body seems to have liked the Hardin paper, :(.

I buy produce from some wholesale outlets for the farm. Restaurant Depot is a great resource. I thought I found a good easy access to organic Escarole, but it's too far out of the scope of the local grocery stores to have a standing order for whole case quantities of things.

I really like using escarole as the tortoises themselves seem to like it best, not to mention it makes a killer good soup. Winter, even the warm ones in southern California are soup season in my kitchen at home. Well I set up an account at another wholesaler so I could get Escarole once a week. The tortoises are undoubtedly happy about this. Even the shy pancakes stretch their neck to it's limits to look out from under their hides to confirm it is indeed escarole, not other greens.

Well this new place also (Restaurant Depot being the other) has marked down items for sale that day. Whole flats of Portabella mushrooms for $8. I got two. The thing is mushrooms don't have much of a shelf life. Wednesday night my wife's Mom cook some by making thick slices and frying them on the stove top, it's really good that way, but too rich from the frying process to eat more than a few slices.

Last night I decided to do "something" with many of them, aside from the monster Manouria having their day of mushroom gluttony. I ground up 12 caps and stems cheese grater style, folding in a four eggs, a tablespoon of bacon fat, and a cup of ground turkey, laid it out in a glass baking pan and cooked it 50 minutes covered with foil at 350, then another ten minutes uncovered with a little Parmesan on top. Mushroom meatloaf. If you like mushroom but lament how the flavor can so easily escape many cooking processes, well here's a thing you can do, it tasted very mushroomy. Damn I had my cooking cap on last night.

Tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was going to give you a 'like' just so you would stop your whining, but I couldn't get through the article. I read the first few sentences and it almost put me to sleep. Besides that, we're not supposed to talk politics on the Forum. So, sorry, no 'like' for you.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
This paper explains so many things.

Thanks for sharing Will. Sent you a PM as I think Yvonne is right. Any public discussion may veer into insecurity very quickly. May be removed by admins first though... :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Fat finger reply from my phone got butchard. It's an economics paper regarding the allocation of scarce resources. Some system is required to do that, as 'market forces' are like evolution and the weak are quickly eaten in pure capitalism. Any system is subject to those who implement it. Everyone is corrupt. What to do?

It basically suggests that left to our own devices we will quickly exploit resources for ourselves at the expense of others. Close others are less exploited than far others. That's evolutionary altruism at work. If only someone would fairly run the system of resource use? The guy in the sky is one feeble attempt, governing systems are another.

E.O. Wilson (really well regarded evolutionary Biologist) sees ants and other communal organisms doing this well, however those species act as colonies and do kill off others of their own kind, but a different colony, as well as many other things that they consider resources. Just like people do. The more you are like me the more I will care if you succeed (that's the idea) not so much my practice.

This is all biology and evolution. Not politics or any other construct of people. Politics and constructs are how we deal with inequality as best we can. All political systems and other constructs can and do work, it's the people that are the chinks in the systems. Someone always want or finds the need to get one up, that is when any social organizing behavior starts the fail.

In the meantime I'm going to put a few extra cows in the field, more to my benefit than your detriment, so I'm sure you won't mind. I'm about to post a small 30 second movie of Medea eating some of those mushrooms.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you put it up on You Tube then copy/paste it here

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Fat finger reply from my phone got butchard. It's an economics paper regarding the allocation of scarce resources. Some system is required to do that, as 'market forces' are like evolution and the weak are quickly eaten in pure capitalism. Any system is subject to those who implement it. Everyone is corrupt. What to do?

It basically suggests that left to our own devices we will quickly exploit resources for ourselves at the expense of others. Close others are less exploited than far others. That's evolutionary altruism at work. If only someone would fairly run the system of resource use? The guy in the sky is one feeble attempt, governing systems are another.

E.O. Wilson (really well regarded evolutionary Biologist) sees ants and other communal organisms doing this well, however those species act as colonies and do kill off others of their own kind, but a different colony, as well as many other things that they consider resources. Just like people do. The more you are like me the more I will care if you succeed (that's the idea) not so much my practice.

This is all biology and evolution. Not politics or any other construct of people. Politics and constructs are how we deal with inequality as best we can. All political systems and other constructs can and do work, it's the people that are the chinks in the systems. Someone always want or finds the need to get one up, that is when any social organizing behavior starts the fail.

In the meantime I'm going to put a few extra cows in the field, more to my benefit than your detriment, so I'm sure you won't mind. I'm about to post a small 30 second movie of Medea eating some of those mushrooms.

Well, it's an opinion piece though.

Yes, and that is the reason systems don't work. Because we assume that a system will work independently of people and truths of humanity (insecurity, distraction, hierarchy, etc). In the end, the only solution would be a change in people. The ability to confront our inner selves, our pain, our need to, as you put it, get one up. Unfortunately, if history has shown us anything, it is that people as a collective are unwilling or unable to do this.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, it's an opinion piece though.

Yes, and that is the reason systems don't work. Because we assume that a system will work independently of people and truths of humanity (insecurity, distraction, hierarchy, etc). In the end, the only solution would be a change in people. The ability to confront our inner selves, our pain, our need to, as you put it, get one up. Unfortunately, if history has shown us anything, it is that people as a collective are unwilling or unable to do this.

It's a process and I think we are moving in that direction. The 'hope' I have is that we will meet the purpose before our collective self destruction wins.

My wife and I are both Elon Musk fans. He has suggested his push for populating Mars ASAP is that a window in humanity is closing, and if we don't colonize somewhere else soon we will fulfill one of the explanations of the Fermi Paradox and wipe ourselves out.

In that case it would be a weird founder effect ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founder_effect ) for people.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is what I've been able to sort out regarding the SA phenotype. There are no doubt others out there, and also Jeff Price and Ben Awes sold their WC or CB animals, and they are "lost to follow-up".

Attachments

• SA Pheno II.pdf
    54.1 KB · Views: 22

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
These are some. The clear plastic background are 2016 D.i.c.k Bartlett tortoises. The ones on the cypress mulch are Chris Rodriguez tortoises through another person, I think 2014 hatch.

We now have 12 SA phenotype leos at the north and south farms from four WC founder groups represented in my chart. Yvonne is the north I am the south. Go team!!!

This last weekend we made a 40 x 40 square foot pen for them, planted with a wide range of edible greens. So 1600 square feet of space. Might still be a bit too small.

1485197331562.jpg 1485197414915.jpg

Last edited: