Hello - Nicolai here!

Location (City and/or State)
Málaga
Hello my name is Nicolai and im excited to be joining this forum of yours!

I'm a guy from Denmark and have now moved to spain! 21 years old and so on!

I, basically, have always wanted a tortoise but now that i moves to spain im a bit blank again as far as research is considered and experience wise. So i would love if anyone in spain(or anyone really) could help me out with this!

I already made a thread specifying a bit more than this and i would love any kind of response!

Anyways, I am excited to be here!

Regards Nicolai!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Chow! Welcome to the forum. Do you speak Spanish? If you're thinking of getting a tortoise there, you may want to consider these things first: How long will you live in Spain; will you leave the country someday? If so, you may want to take into consideration how big will your tortoise ever get? Would you be able to take your tortoise with you wherever you move to? Note that many countries do not allow certain tortoises to leave/enter a country; would you be prepared for that? Finally, if you plan to get a tortoise, look for a herp vet nearest you, just in case you'll need one. After all that, I hope you have a great experience with these animals. There's very little things more rewarding than owning a tortoise :) Happy hunting.

Málaga
Chow! Welcome to the forum. Do you speak Spanish? If you're thinking of getting a tortoise there, you may want to consider these things first: How long will you live in Spain; will you leave the country someday? If so, you may want to take into consideration how big will your tortoise ever get? Would you be able to take your tortoise with you wherever you move to? Note that many countries do not allow certain tortoises to leave/enter a country; would you be prepared for that? Finally, if you plan to get a tortoise, look for a herp vet nearest you, just in case you'll need one. After all that, I hope you have a great experience with these animals. There's very little things more rewarding than owning a tortoise :) Happy hunting.

i am staying for quite some years, if not i will of course bring it with me. The only problem is that i live in denmark so it would be expensive but i will do my research or make sure it has a good home here after i leave! I have NO intentions of leaving anytime soon! :)

You have any particular tortoise in mind maybe? :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
i am staying for quite some years, if not i will of course bring it with me. The only problem is that i live in denmark so it would be expensive but i will do my research or make sure it has a good home here after i leave! I have NO intentions of leaving anytime soon! :)

You have any particular tortoise in mind maybe? :)
Yes, Russians, Greek, Hermanns would be your best bet since they are smaller and easy to manage. I don't have small tortoises, but I believe Russians hibernate, although if you'll be keeping it indoors, cold temps won't be an issue and there won't be a need to hibernate.
Something Tom asks you caught my attention. He asked you do you have a window where sunlight comes in. You said you do. During warmer days, is it possible to have the windows open to allow the sun to hit a certain spot without obstruction like a screen? UVB rays don't penetrate glass or screens. So, it's not enough to just have sun coming through a window unless you can leave the window open w/o screens. The baby summing pool is a great way to put organic soil (without any fertilizers), set up a hind, put small plants in it with small rocks, etc. and place at a spot where the sun can hit it for as long as possible. That can be your little garden

Málaga
Yes, Russians, Greek, Hermanns would be your best bet since they are smaller and easy to manage. I don't have small tortoises, but I believe Russians hibernate, although if you'll be keeping it indoors, cold temps won't be an issue and there won't be a need to hibernate.
Something Tom asks you caught my attention. He asked you do you have a window where sunlight comes in. You said you do. During warmer days, is it possible to have the windows open to allow the sun to hit a certain spot without obstruction like a screen? UVB rays don't penetrate glass or screens. So, it's not enough to just have sun coming through a window unless you can leave the window open w/o screens. The baby summing pool is a great way to put organic soil (without any fertilizers), set up a hind, put small plants in it with small rocks, etc. and place at a spot where the sun can hit it for as long as possible. That can be your little garden

Good idea thanks! Appreciate so much!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Niclolai and welcome. There's a lot of great up to date information here which will help you.
Check here before you buy any equipment at pet stores as they tend to sell for profit so often recommend expensive or unsuitable/unsafe things, but people here can save you money and help you avoid mistakes to make sure your tort will be happy and healthy.

Málaga
Hi Niclolai and welcome. There's a lot of great up to date information here which will help you.
Check here before you buy any equipment at pet stores as they tend to sell for profit so often recommend expensive or unsuitable/unsafe things, but people here can save you money and help you avoid mistakes to make sure your tort will be happy and healthy.

Thanks! This is why i am starting off here before getting one!