Help a new fellah out! - tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Málaga
Hello guys!

I'm I'm a situation where ive been wanting a tortoise for quite a couple of years now and I actually now have the opportunity to do so!

I moved to spain a couple of months ago and I would like to hear some information about what to get here(my previous research won't do me much good since I'm from cold denmark), if it is suitable to get one if I live in the centro of málaga and how to construct the best inclosure for this sweet fellah!

I haven't bought one yet, but I really am looking too so I would like to know some thing before getting one and I hope you can help me with this since I'd like to hear from people who might be keeping some themselves here in spain! :)

-what kind would be most suitable
-enclosure (size, variation of environment and such)
-food
-health span

Basically every tip you can give me no matter how simple to make the life for it as good as possible! I will NOT be getting one if it won't be having a decent place to stay so it's important for me to get as much help as possible :)

Regards nicolai!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello again. For beginners, the Russian, Hermanns and Greek are recommended. The basically have the same care. You can check out their caresheet under their species section. For an adult, they would need a minimum 4x8 enclosure, larger if possible. An outdoor enclosure for warm weather should always be available, although it's not needed if it's not possible. Good luck on your search

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Nicolai.
I live in Morocco, but due to not being able to buy any tortoise supplies here, I visit the Costa del Sol every few months to stock up on tortoise supplies (and bacon) .
I don't know Malaga too well, but do my shopping at two pet stores in nearby Fuengirola, one of them has a pretty good selection of stuff.
I have seen plenty of tortoises for sale there, Russians, Greeks, Hermanni , Leopards and Marginateds, from memory as well as all the stuff you will ever need ( as well as lots of dangerous water bowls, red lights and coiled bulbs etc.).
The various substrates are available, MVB bulbs and CHEs, but not usually strips, cuttlefish bone, and food supplements
It is quite easy to keep a tortoise in Spain, in my opinion, much easier than here in Morocco!

Málaga
Hello, Nicolai.
I live in Morocco, but due to not being able to buy any tortoise supplies here, I visit the Costa del Sol every few months to stock up on tortoise supplies (and bacon) .
I don't know Malaga too well, but do my shopping at two pet stores in nearby Fuengirola, one of them has a pretty good selection of stuff.
I have seen plenty of tortoises for sale there, Russians, Greeks, Hermanni , Leopards and Marginateds, from memory as well as all the stuff you will ever need ( as well as lots of dangerous water bowls, red lights and coiled bulbs etc.).
The various substrates are available, MVB bulbs and CHEs, but not usually strips, cuttlefish bone, and food supplements
It is quite easy to keep a tortoise in Spain, in my opinion, much easier than here in Morocco!

Yeah i thought about that aswell! Ive really been wanting one for quite some time and i was just wondering if it would be okay to keep one inside in an enclosure, of course bring it outside to the park and so on under supervision as i dont have a garden near my house so i am wondering if i could actually keep one inside...

Málaga
Hello again. For beginners, the Russian, Hermanns and Greek are recommended. The basically have the same care. You can check out their caresheet under their species section. For an adult, they would need a minimum 4x8 enclosure, larger if possible. An outdoor enclosure for warm weather should always be available, although it's not needed if it's not possible. Good luck on your search

Hello! Im just wondering if i would be able to even have one inside my appartment as i dont have an outside area where it can be. 4*8 - are you talking metric or? theres a lot of different nationalities in here so just to be sure! :) Are all of these good to have in spain as of this climate? :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yeah i thought about that aswell! Ive really been wanting one for quite some time and i was just wondering if it would be okay to keep one inside in an enclosure, of course bring it outside to the park and so on under supervision as i dont have a garden near my house so i am wondering if i could actually keep one inside...
It is perfectly acceptable, though maybe not ideal, to keep a tortoise entirely in an indoor enclosure as long as it's big enough and you have the necessary UVB lighting available. Many people who live in flats and houses without gardens keep tortoises very successfully.
I would be very careful of public parks due to possible use of chemicals and objects or parasites in the grass, but again, some people do this.
Four foot by eight foot as a minimum is the Imperial measurement. so about 122 centimetres by 244 cm, if you prefer.
Southern Spain's climate is ideal for these species, Greek tortoises occur there naturally and it's a lot better than Denmark for tort keepers, though, even in Denmark, it is possible.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @nicolai jacobsen lodskou and a very warm welcome to the forum! :)

I live in Jordan where it's FREEZING COLD in Winter and BOILING HOT in Summer and I've had Oli (my beloved Greek tort :<3: for 5.5 years) .I believe that if one is ready to take care of a tort, even if this may cost a lot, then one can get one. ;) Here I mean: enclosure, food, HEAT, lights, substrate, vets, and so on. ;)

I take out Oli for "walks" in the sun when the weather permits. He loves it! :D

Málaga
It is perfectly acceptable, though maybe not ideal, to keep a tortoise entirely in an indoor enclosure as long as it's big enough and you have the necessary UVB lighting available. Many people who live in flats and houses without gardens keep tortoises very successfully.
I would be very careful of public parks due to possible use of chemicals and objects or parasites in the grass, but again, some people do this.
Four foot by eight foot as a minimum is the Imperial measurement. so about 122 centimetres by 244 cm, if you prefer.
Southern Spain's climate is ideal for these species, Greek tortoises occur there naturally and it's a lot better than Denmark for tort keepers, though, even in Denmark, it is possible.

That is great to hear! Did a bit of research myself but i am not good at spanish so it was difficult to find much as im at workthis instant ;-) Would it be better to amke the enclosure yourself if you are able to or is there good options for buying one? Again, i really do want to make sure it will be taken care of properly!

Yeah i know, its pretty hard and very expensive to get a turtle in denmark cause of the harsh and cold winter. :)

Málaga
Hi @nicolai jacobsen lodskou and a very warm welcome to the forum! :)

I live in Jordan where it's FREEZING COLD in Winter and BOILING HOT in Summer and I've had Oli (my beloved Greek tort :<3: for 5.5 years) .I believe that if one is ready to take care of a tort, even if this may cost a lot, then one can get one. ;) Here I mean: enclosure, food, HEAT, lights, substrate, vets, and so on. ;)

I take out Oli for "walks" in the sun when the weather permits. He loves it! :D

This is what i want! Im so jealous! Any tips you can give on anything would be lovely! Again, i want to be well prepared before i get one!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm not sure about purchasing enclosures other than terrariums that all seem small to me, though bigger ones may be available.
I would be tempted to build my own, maybe using a large bookcase or two, laid on its side with all the shelves knocked out and a plastic shower curtain or similar, as a liner. Our enclosures section here can give you lots of good ideas.
I looked under Amazon.es. and Tortugas tanque ( tortoise tank, but they all seem very small, to me)

Málaga
I'm not sure about purchasing enclosures other than terrariums that all seem small to me, though bigger ones may be available.
I would be tempted to build my own, maybe using a large bookcase or two, laid on its side with all the shelves knocked out and a plastic shower curtain or similar, as a liner. Our enclosures section here can give you lots of good ideas.
I looked under Amazon.es. and Tortugas tanque ( tortoise tank, but they all seem very small, to me)

Alright, thanks! Might not be able to build one for myself but i will see what i can do at least. Else ill have a look around and ask you experts for your opinion on it if i find a bigger one! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello! Im just wondering if i would be able to even have one inside my appartment as i dont have an outside area where it can be. 4*8 - are you talking metric or? theres a lot of different nationalities in here so just to be sure! :) Are all of these good to have in spain as of this climate? :)
Sorry, 4x8 feet. Yes it is doable to have just an indoor enclosure. It's just not the ideal situation. However, many do it.

Málaga
Hello and welcome.

Here are some general tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This care sheet is for russians, but it will suit any of the Testudo genus:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Taking the tortoise to the park is not recommended. Too many risks. They need to be in their own enclosures.

Fair enough appreciate it! And if i were to go to a forrest or so? A better choice for taking it outside just so its not going to be inside all the time?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fair enough appreciate it! And if i were to go to a forrest or so? A better choice for taking it outside just so its not going to be inside all the time?

Outside time is good, but it needs to be in an enclosure that is designed and maintained for the tortoise. Not out in the world where you have no control and no idea what has gone on there, and where you could easily lose the tortoise. Everyone who loses a tortoise this way, including me, is sure they will pay attention and it won't happen to me. It will. It always does. Keep your tortoise in an enclosure.

Do you have a balcony? A window that gets sun? An area near your apartment where you could set p something with some blocks or a kiddie pool?

Málaga
Outside time is good, but it needs to be in an enclosure that is designed and maintained for the tortoise. Not out in the world where you have no control and no idea what has gone on there, and where you could easily lose the tortoise. Everyone who loses a tortoise this way, including me, is sure they will pay attention and it won't happen to me. It will. It always does. Keep your tortoise in an enclosure.

Do you have a balcony? A window that gets sun? An area near your apartment where you could set p something with some blocks or a kiddie pool?

I do have a corner where 2 Window are faceing the narrow street where the sun comes when the sky is clear yes. I would not be able to set up anything outside my apartment i am afraid. s: So theres no way of bringing one out if not in an enclosure then, i just dont dare setup anything because im afraid it might get vandalised you see

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You're so wise to seek all the information before purchasing a tortoise. Most people don't do that, and as a result, they make mistakes in raising their animal or end up giving their tort away.
If I were you and you're handy with your hands, I would build my own enclosure. Here at the forum, many members have posted their build of enclosures. Step by step guidelines are provided. You can find it under the subject of "enclosures." Also, it depends what species of tortoise you get as to whether or not you can keep them inside all year long. Keep in mind he previous comments about parks and the use of pesticides on their grass. If you think that someday you'll be able to get a little garden, then I would wait until you actually can provide outdoor space for your tortoise cause it is so important. If not, many have successfully raised small tortoises indoors provided you've given the tort plenty of room. In fact, some have converted a guest room into an indoor enclosure. The biggest thing about indoor enclosures apart from space is UVB lighting. Torts really need this especially since they can't get it outdoors. A good mercury vapor bulb (mvb) or florescent UVB tube is vital to the health of your tort. If they can't get UVB naturally, which is ideal, then you have to provide it artificially. These bulbs will need to be replaces every 6 months to a year cause the UV rays diminish over time and use. Some things to consider.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do have a corner where 2 Window are faceing the narrow street where the sun comes when the sky is clear yes. I would not be able to set up anything outside my apartment i am afraid. s: So theres no way of bringing one out if not in an enclosure then, i just dont dare setup anything because im afraid it might get vandalised you see

Kiddie pools are portable. Is there a common seating area outside? Like next to the pool or something? You can carry out your kiddie pool, set it half in the shade and then lounge around for an hour or two while your tortoise grazes, suns and exercises in safety.

Or how about waiting until you can move to a place with a little yard? Adult Testudo really do best when they can be housed outside most of the time and the climate in spain is so perfect for them most of the time… They can be successfully housed indoors all the time, but it seems such a shame to have to do that in Spain.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Best just to keep it inside, in your situation.
The tort will be perfectly happy in his own nice big territory.
You will need a UVB source but the sunlight through an open window is nice (UVB doesn't get through glass so the sunbeams would have to pass through an open window and not be blocked by the enclosure.)
But it can be warming for the tortoise and some torts, including mine, seem to like to look at the sunrise, though i may be being fanciful.