Help a new fellah out! - tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Málaga
You're so wise to seek all the information before purchasing a tortoise. Most people don't do that, and as a result, they make mistakes in raising their animal or end up giving their tort away.
If I were you and you're handy with your hands, I would build my own enclosure. Here at the forum, many members have posted their build of enclosures. Step by step guidelines are provided. You can find it under the subject of "enclosures." Also, it depends what species of tortoise you get as to whether or not you can keep them inside all year long. Keep in mind he previous comments about parks and the use of pesticides on their grass. If you think that someday you'll be able to get a little garden, then I would wait until you actually can provide outdoor space for your tortoise cause it is so important. If not, many have successfully raised small tortoises indoors provided you've given the tort plenty of room. In fact, some have converted a guest room into an indoor enclosure. The biggest thing about indoor enclosures apart from space is UVB lighting. Torts really need this especially since they can't get it outdoors. A good mercury vapor bulb (mvb) or florescent UVB tube is vital to the health of your tort. If they can't get UVB naturally, which is ideal, then you have to provide it artificially. These bulbs will need to be replaces every 6 months to a year cause the UV rays diminish over time and use. Some things to consider.

Thanks a lot for the information and i will take the first as a compliment! Well ive ben wanting one for long and ive always been dreaming of one(my parents wouldnt let me get one) and that lead me to basically researching around and now i just want to be a 100% sure before getting one ^^ happy that a place like this exist!

Málaga
Kiddie pools are portable. Is there a common seating area outside? Like next to the pool or something? You can carry out your kiddie pool, set it half in the shade and then lounge around for an hour or two while your tortoise grazes, suns and exercises in safety.

Or how about waiting until you can move to a place with a little yard? Adult Testudo really do best when they can be housed outside most of the time and the climate in spain is so perfect for them most of the time… They can be successfully housed indoors all the time, but it seems such a shame to have to do that in Spain.

Ahh yeah now i get what you mean! Yes there is tons of them :)
Agreed! Basically i wont be able to and if i do it wont be soon. thats why i was wondering about it, still hope that it would be possible

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
I moved to spain a couple of months ago and I would like to hear some information about what to get here(my previous research won't do me much good since I'm from cold denmark), if it is suitable to get one if I live in the centro of málaga and how to construct the best inclosure for this sweet fellah!

I haven't bought one yet, but I really am looking too so I would like to know some thing before getting one and I hope you can help me with this since I'd like to hear from people who might be keeping some themselves here in spain!

@nicolai jacobsen lodskou, one of our members, Andy aka @Testudoresearch lives near you in Almeria, Spain. He is a well known tortoise keeper and author. Maybe you can visit him to see his setups.

Málaga
Best just to keep it inside, in your situation.
The tort will be perfectly happy in his own nice big territory.
You will need a UVB source but the sunlight through an open window is nice (UVB doesn't get through glass so the sunbeams would have to pass through an open window and not be blocked by the enclosure.)
But it can be warming for the tortoise and some torts, including mine, seem to like to look at the sunrise, though i may be being fanciful.

I see - so just in case I'd get the light no matter what! Again want it to be as good as possible!

Málaga
Hello, Nicolai.
I live in Morocco, but due to not being able to buy any tortoise supplies here, I visit the Costa del Sol every few months to stock up on tortoise supplies (and bacon) .
I don't know Malaga too well, but do my shopping at two pet stores in nearby Fuengirola, one of them has a pretty good selection of stuff.
I have seen plenty of tortoises for sale there, Russians, Greeks, Hermanni , Leopards and Marginateds, from memory as well as all the stuff you will ever need ( as well as lots of dangerous water bowls, red lights and coiled bulbs etc.).
The various substrates are available, MVB bulbs and CHEs, but not usually strips, cuttlefish bone, and food supplements
It is quite easy to keep a tortoise in Spain, in my opinion, much easier than here in Morocco!

By the way i was thinking if you might be able to meet up nex time you go to there to stock up? Just so get an idea of what to get and what to look for! Would be much appreciated since i live in malaga which is about 25 minutes away :)

Málaga
Bad news lads, I wont be able to get a tortoise anyways as of right now since my landlord changed her mind and will now only allow turtles... appreciate all of your tips and support though! Ill be sure to stick around so i can at least get my daily doses of tortoises!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
By the way i was thinking if you might be able to meet up nex time you go to there to stock up? Just so get an idea of what to get and what to look for! Would be much appreciated since i live in malaga which is about 25 minutes away :)
Keep in touch.
A meet up in Spain is not impossible.
I've done it before with another member......................:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Sounds great, my landlord changed her mind though so i will not be able to keep a tortoise but only turtles unfortunately, i will try and reason with her but i dont think it will help a lot s:
Explain to her that tortoises are much less active and cleaner and there is no risk of water damage.
In his enclosure he can do no possible harm to the apartment.
(not entirely true, but heigh ho.)

Málaga
Explain to her that tortoises are much less active and cleaner and there is no risk of water damage.
In his enclosure he can do no possible harm to the apartment.
(not entirely true, but heigh ho.)

Her worry is the "smell" from the tortoise as far as i can understand from her but she stands strong in her opinion... dammit - excuse my french Ill give it a shot though!