Hello from Kansas City!

RockChalk

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City
I'm new to the tortoise owner world, but I worked at a very fantastic local pet store when I was in college that has all sorts of torts and turtles. I've been reading all of the info I can get my hands on about Hermann's torts. I have been preparing to buy one and I have the habitat almost finished.

I'm planning on getting my first one at the KC Reptile Show this weekend in Overland Park, KS. I'm particularly interested in the "Dalmatian" variety but I'll have to see what is there.

Anyway, hello!

RockChalk

Kansas City
Yes I have, but thank you!

The only thing left for me to figure out is which substrate to use if I get a very small tortoise that is younger than a year old. Ah, the age-old debate, I imagine.

I've read that people are concerned about coconut coir being dusty, but being in the African Violet hobby I have it on hand already and I know that it should be rinsed profusely before use vs just simply wetting it, so all of my coir is rinsed through a sieve. I don't get the kind of coir that has a lot of long fibers - it's more like soil.

Again, being an African Violet hobbyist, I also have a ton of peat (not to be confused with peat moss --- peat itself is soft, dark brown, and dirt-like, not stringy like peat moss). I could mix the two. Thoughts?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* Hi! Your almost a neighbor. I live in the southeast corner of Nebraska. You may not have much to choose from at the show. :(

RockChalk

Kansas City
I really have my heart set on getting a young Hermann's on Sunday. I guess I might have to order one. :( But the tort table is finished, at least.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome. Great that you have been researching before you buy and have your table ready. Do you have all the lamps/heat ready with temps/humidity tried and tested too? That will all help your tort quickly.

if you follow all advice offered on TFO as well as possible you should have a happy healthy tort for many years to come if not for life.
Happy tort shopping?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm new to the tortoise owner world, but I worked at a very fantastic local pet store when I was in college that has all sorts of torts and turtles. I've been reading all of the info I can get my hands on about Hermann's torts. I have been preparing to buy one and I have the habitat almost finished.

I'm planning on getting my first one at the KC Reptile Show this weekend in Overland Park, KS. I'm particularly interested in the "Dalmatian" variety but I'll have to see what is there.

Anyway, hello!
Hi. Welcome. Just googled Kansas, looks right nice. :). Cant find the yellow brick road though:rolleyes:. Prepare for the ultimate addiction. TFO

RockChalk

Kansas City
Yes, I got the popular 100W ReptiSun mercury vapor bulb (no curly ones per this forum) and the appropriate ZooMed lamp. I also followed some advice and got the IR temperature gun so I can measure multiple spots quickly. We just finished making the lid to the table for cat-proofing and escape-proofing. I bought wire shelving from the home organization store and wired more than one together to make it big enough as well as hinged. It's more rigid than chicken wire or screen, so it's easier for me to handle and will support a 6-pound cat (my cat is 16 years old and getting a bit thin). So far, though, she hasn't given the tortoise table the time of day. She can't jump that high anymore anyway, but cat-proofing is always good.

I emailed Andrew at ATC and if I can't find one at the show I may just wait on one of his Dalmatian clutches. But it'll be hard!

The newcomer's name shall be Dr. Watson. That way if it ends up being a female down the line, the name still works. I was always more fascinated by John Watson than Sherlock Holmes.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, I got the popular 100W ReptiSun mercury vapor bulb (no curly ones per this forum) and the appropriate ZooMed lamp. I also followed some advice and got the IR temperature gun so I can measure multiple spots quickly. We just finished making the lid to the table for cat-proofing and escape-proofing. I bought wire shelving from the home organization store and wired more than one together to make it big enough as well as hinged. It's more rigid than chicken wire or screen, so it's easier for me to handle and will support a 6-pound cat (my cat is 16 years old and getting a bit thin). So far, though, she hasn't given the tortoise table the time of day. She can't jump that high anymore anyway, but cat-proofing is always good.

I emailed Andrew at ATC and if I can't find one at the show I may just wait on one of his Dalmatian clutches. But it'll be hard!

The newcomer's name shall be Dr. Watson. That way if it ends up being a female down the line, the name still works. I was always more fascinated by John Watson than Sherlock Holmes.
Watson was certainly a fascinating character.

RockChalk

Kansas City
Alas, no Hermann's at the KC Reptile Show. I sent a message to Chris like you guys suggested to see what he recommends. I've also been in contact with Andrew. I decided that if I am to get a life-long friend, I need to do it right, so I'm going to go with high quality from one of the recommended breeders.

Hopefully soon I can take my mug off my avatar and replace it with what we're all here for!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Waiting for Watson.
I'm sure Chris and Andrew can be life long friends.
And we're all here for pretty faces, too.

Camp

Hi neighbor! I live in KCMO! I am looking to get a Hermann also! I almost went to the Reptile show yesterday as well but didn't fit into my schedule glad to know I didn't miss a Hermann there. Although I might be skeptical of purchasing from a show like that. (paranoid maybe?). Just curious how you built your table. I have ordered all my supplies but looking into building a table now. Not looking to get tortoise until middle of August so I have time.