Hello from Kansas

Korri

Hello from Kansas City! I am new to the forum, but have been reading all the posts, species care sheets, etc. as I have been wanting a tortoise for awhile. I have never owned a tortoise before but after all my reading and learning I think I am finally ready! I have narrowed down my choices to the following species: hermanns, greeks, russians, and redfoots. I was wondering if y'all could give me some insight into what species would be the best for a first time owner from Kansas? The tortoise will be able to be outside whenever the weather is permitting (as I live on several acers), but will have to live inside when we are experiencing extreme cold, heat, storms, etc. It would also be nice if it could be on the more personable side for a tortoise (even though I know torts are not the most sociable creatures by nature). Thank y'all for the help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Korri!

Any of those you've mentioned would be good first time tortoises. Little Russians are VERY personable once they get to know you. If I were to get a tortoise I had to keep indoors, though, I'd go for the RF tortoise.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome from Spokane Washington. Of those you listed, I only have Russians. They are a lot of fun, but really need big enclosures. Of course they can be hibernated for winter.

Korri

Thank you @Yvonne G and @Jodie
I have heard that redfoots tend to have more personality than the others I listed. Is this true?
Also, until I become a more experienced tort owner I don't think I will try to hibernate my tort in the winter. Will one of the ones I listed be better for not hibernating in the winter?

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Welcome; and bravo for doing your research before getting a tortoise. As for what species to select; ask yourself: how much room do I have to house; how big will it get; what kind of food sources can I get; are there vets close by that have experience with this species; how much time do I have to care for it; and of course availability and cost. These will help you narrow it down to the one that is right for you. What ever is your final pick; you have found an excellent (the best) resource here. There are so many experienced owners who are more than glad to share their knowledge.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

I'll leave it to more experienced members as to advice on indoor/outdoor tortoises. Excluding the rf, I think any of them that are exposed to the normal changing of seasons will want to hibernate.

I hibernated my Russian in a small refrigerater her first winter with us. It was nerve wracking for the first couple of weeks but went great. Either way, you'll find good info here.

Korri

Welcome!

I'll leave it to more experienced members as to advice on indoor/outdoor tortoises. Excluding the rf, I think any of them that are exposed to the normal changing of seasons will want to hibernate.

I hibernated my Russian in a small refrigerater her first winter with us. It was nerve wracking for the first couple of weeks but went great. Either way, you'll find good info here.

If I brought my tortoise in before the weather changed would I still need to hibernate it? And correct me if I am wrong, but from my understanding redfoots don't really have to hibernate. Is that correct?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Thank you @Yvonne G and @Jodie
I have heard that redfoots tend to have more personality than the others I listed. Is this true?
Also, until I become a more experienced tort owner I don't think I will try to hibernate my tort in the winter. Will one of the ones I listed be better for not hibernating in the winter?

I think my redfoots are a lot more personable then the Russians.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If I brought my tortoise in before the weather changed would I still need to hibernate it? And correct me if I am wrong, but from my understanding redfoots don't really have to hibernate. Is that correct?

Correct, redfoots don't. It is the light changes along with cooler temps that lead to hibernation urges. Even inside, they may have the urge.