Hi from Kansas City, mo

sing

Location (City and/or State)
kansas city, mo
My name is sing, just registered not too long ago. But have been reading care sheets. Just got a hatchling Russian tortoise for my daughter's bday. Well, you guys know the drill. I'm stuck taking care of it. Its winter right now, can't really build an enclosure til spring. I have 30 gallon plastic storage bin with a 100 watt mvb and check bulb on thermostat. I keep it 80 to mid 80s all night. There is a humid hide with a temp of 80f and 80% humidity. The whole enclosure is sits at about 40-50% humidity. Would this be okay for now?

sing

kansas city, mo
Thank you, I've read the care sheet. I almost everything down except for the enclosure part. This is a temp setup for a couple of months til I can get around to building a close type enclosure. That way I can get the right lighting setup. My daughter named it soda. It is active and eating.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Are you able to post a pic of Soda and the enclosure? A picture might be worth a thousand words in this case.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not that I'm doubting you, but like Mizcreant said, a picture is worth a thousand words and I'd like to be sure you really do have a youngster. If you bought the tortoise from a pet store, it's probably almost full grown, and the care for a full grown russian is different from the care for a baby. For example, keeping the enclosure at 80F at night for a grown tortoise is wrong. It should be allowed down to room temp overnight, or about 70F.

By the way, welcome to the Forum!

sing

kansas city, mo
Uploaded photos!!! Eating after a morning soak.

Attachments

• IMG_20171206_094641.jpg
    IMG_20171206_094641.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20171206_090815.jpg
    IMG_20171206_090815.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20171206_090806.jpg
    IMG_20171206_090806.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Cute little guy. I would strongly suggest covering the enclosure though so that the heat and humidity are trapped within the enclosure. Would hate to see the little guy start pyramiding!You can purchase a pane of plexiglass relatively cheap to put over it in the meantime. Just be sure to cut out a hole for the UVB lamp. Otherwise the plexiglass filters out the useful rays.

sing

kansas city, mo
Cute little guy. I would strongly suggest covering the enclosure though so that the heat and humidity are trapped within the enclosure. Would hate to see the little guy start pyramiding!You can purchase a pane of plexiglass relatively cheap to put over it in the meantime. Just be sure to cut out a hole for the UVB lamp. Otherwise the plexiglass filters out the useful rays.

Thanks, will consider doing that. I have an 100w mvb bulb would that make make the enclosure pretty hot?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks, will consider doing that. I have an 100w mvb bulb would that make make the enclosure pretty hot?

Undoubtedly. You may need to vent a corner a bit to keep the heat at a tolerable level. So long as the humidity stays at an acceptable level, you can adjust the lamp up (or get a less powerful bulb). Seeming as what you have is only temporary until you get a better enclosure, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Put some nice moist coco coir or orchid moss in with it. That does great with humidity. If you want something heftier, there's always a ReptiFogger.