Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They have grown since the last pic , Took this about 5:30 this afternoon.The golf cart roof (bronze colored thing on the left) is over 6 1/2 feet off the ground.View attachment 208805I'm hoping they grow bigger this year, I left all the tree trunks and leaves from last year under them to help keep the ground moist when our dry season comes later this summer.Everything seems to be working it's way through it.
I know you just posted this to say, "Neener, neener, neener!!"

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A few years ago I stopped at a bbt bank in Maryland and got some pads from their cactus growing out front. This year is the first year one bloomed, the blooms are smaller than most of my opuntia. They start out light orange and don't open out as wide as most do, the bees love them the start going to them as soon as they start opening.they pads have a few small spines but they can be handled without to much worry.BBT cactus.jpg BBt cactus 2.jpg And here is a pic of a red lily red lilly.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Oh my, can I put this photo on my wall? :cool:
A few years ago I stopped at a bbt bank in Maryland and got some pads from their cactus growing out front. This year is the first year one bloomed, the blooms are smaller than most of my opuntia. They start out light orange and don't open out as wide as most do, the bees love them the start going to them as soon as they start opening.they pads have a few small spines but they can be handled without to much worry.View attachment 209596 View attachment 209597 And here is a pic of a red lily View attachment 209598
We'll see if mine blooms before it's consumed by the tortoise! ;)
Very lovely!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Oh my, can I put this photo on my wall? :cool:

We'll see if mine blooms before it's consumed by the tortoise! ;)
Very lovely!
I have plenty more cactus and other plants that my russians love.Not counting what I planted in the ground I have about 40 pots of the same spineless,spinless.jpg My russians favorite is this sedum and I have many extra plantssedum 1.jpg Cactus fruit these are the larger fruits so I quarter them long ways for them.fruit.jpg Violets, they grow wild here in the lawn but I keep some in pots just for give aways..violets.jpg Rose of Sharon, They love the new growth leaves and go nuts over the blooms, they eat the older tougher leaves but prefer the tender ones.The original ones I have were started from seeds I got from Terry, The Redfoot Nerd.Now they have dropped seeds and I have them growing everywhere.rose a sharon.jpg So if Steve every gets hungry for something different let me know. I use to have many more tortoises than I keep now, so I needed more food than I do now, but the plants just keep multiplying.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I have plenty more cactus and other plants that my russians love.Not counting what I planted in the ground I have about 40 pots of the same spineless,View attachment 209669 My russians favorite is this sedum and I have many extra plantsView attachment 209670 Cactus fruit these are the larger fruits so I quarter them long ways for them.View attachment 209671 Violets, they grow wild here in the lawn but I keep some in pots just for give aways..View attachment 209672 Rose of Sharon, They love the new growth leaves and go nuts over the blooms, they eat the older tougher leaves but prefer the tender ones.The original ones I have were started from seeds I got from Terry, The Redfoot Nerd.Now they have dropped seeds and I have them growing everywhere.View attachment 209674 So if Steve every gets hungry for something different let me know. I use to have many more tortoises than I keep now, so I needed more food than I do now, but the plants just keep multiplying.
Awww, those are some spoiled torts! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have plenty more cactus and other plants that my russians love.Not counting what I planted in the ground I have about 40 pots of the same spineless,View attachment 209669 My russians favorite is this sedum and I have many extra plantsView attachment 209670 Cactus fruit these are the larger fruits so I quarter them long ways for them.View attachment 209671 Violets, they grow wild here in the lawn but I keep some in pots just for give aways..View attachment 209672 Rose of Sharon, They love the new growth leaves and go nuts over the blooms, they eat the older tougher leaves but prefer the tender ones.The original ones I have were started from seeds I got from Terry, The Redfoot Nerd.Now they have dropped seeds and I have them growing everywhere.View attachment 209674 So if Steve every gets hungry for something different let me know. I use to have many more tortoises than I keep now, so I needed more food than I do now, but the plants just keep multiplying.

Can I borrow your thumb for the summer? :rolleyes:

M

Maggie Cummings

Terry sent me some Rose of Sharon too. I now have 31 Rose of Sharon trees growing. Red, purple, white, pink. And the cactus sent to me are growing fast. And so different looking. When they all start blooming I will send some pix. I even have ONE plant that blooms red, white and blue. It's too kewl lookin......

Len B

10 Year Member!
Terry sent me some Rose of Sharon too. I now have 31 Rose of Sharon trees growing. Red, purple, white, pink. And the cactus sent to me are growing fast. And so different looking. When they all start blooming I will send some pix. I even have ONE plant that blooms red, white and blue. It's too kewl lookin......
Terry had good seeds, almost 100% germination. I'm glad the cactus is doing good out there. I thought they would, I've spent some time in Portland years ago. used to go to what we called the Square when it was full of freaks, the last time I was there right after 9 11 it was full of yuppies selling spices and such, (How Disappointing) A while back I came across a pic of you feeding Bob a strawberry. do you still have it or is it one that you lost ?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Gophers got to my hibiscus! It fell over today. What is the best way to grow a new one or more? Should I save the seeds or use cuttings? And if I use cuttings, do I have to start them in water or can I just plant them in the ground?

M

Maggie Cummings

Terry had good seeds, almost 100% germination. I'm glad the cactus is doing good out there. I thought they would, I've spent some time in Portland years ago. used to go to what we called the Square when it was full of freaks, the last time I was there right after 9 11 it was full of yuppies selling spices and such, (How Disappointing) A while back I came across a pic of you feeding Bob a strawberry. do you still have it or is it one that you lost ?

I believe that was from a calendar a few years ago.....It's on my wall. I have more Bob stuff than Dale Earnhardt stuff.......