Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497464889.869558.jpg hey guys, my Mom just sent this to me from Florida. Not sure what they are called. The flowers resemble acacia or wisteria or... texas mountain laurel. It's a shame that I had never taken interest in learning all about the plants around me when I used to live there (7yrs!) guess I was just busy trying to make a new home for myself after leaving my home country

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497465242.498675.jpg another pic from my Mom. Those are from her tree. They are each around 2-3 lbs and not at all fibrous!!!! The best mango I've ever had! She had planted that tree as a little stick that was in 1 gal pot few yrs ago. That tree is growing like crazy. They grow huge. In Florida large trees mean big problem and expense with upkeep in suburbia

M

Maggie Cummings

Can you copy it from here or do you want me to email it to you ?

I believe I can copy it, thanks so much for sending it. I laughed, my beautiful hair was still not gray, but it looks like I don;'t comb it. Went on TV that way......lol

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
View attachment 210271 hey guys, my Mom just sent this to me from Florida. Not sure what they are called. The flowers resemble acacia or wisteria or... texas mountain laurel. It's a shame that I had never taken interest in learning all about the plants around me when I used to live there (7yrs!) guess I was just busy trying to make a new home for myself after leaving my home country

That's an acacia. We have them all over. Great nitrogen fixer. Also pretty invasive

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
View attachment 210271 hey guys, my Mom just sent this to me from Florida. Not sure what they are called. The flowers resemble acacia or wisteria or... texas mountain laurel. It's a shame that I had never taken interest in learning all about the plants around me when I used to live there (7yrs!) guess I was just busy trying to make a new home for myself after leaving my home country

Geez that's pretty. Almost reminds me of lilac. But I've never seen that before, but my friend, Google, tells me it might be a golden chain tree.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
You sure it's not acacia dealbata? The flowers look a little too rigid to be the Golden chain tree. Or maybe I just want to be correct...

Pearly

5 Year Member
You sure it's not acacia dealbata? The flowers look a little too rigid to be the Golden chain tree. Or maybe I just want to be correct...
Ohhhh now we are getting more technical... i don't know. I'll be diwn there in couple wks, if those trees are still blooming I'll be sure to look up close and get back to ya'll on that one

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Yippee! I'm so excited! My Opuntia finally bloomed!!!! Our first two flowers we found yesterday:

opuntia1.jpg

opuntia2.jpg

Just checked this afternoon and more bloomed. Awesome. :D

opuntia3.jpg

I couldn't resist giving Steve a flower yesterday. He really enjoyed it after he figured out what it was!

opuntia4.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Gorgeous! Do you ever harvest the pads for Steve?
All mine all spineless (almost all native species), but I just got some spineless Opuntia from Len, which I'm trying to grow in Steve's outdoor enclosure. Of course, he's been nibbling on it before the darn thing even put roots down. ;) We'll see how long they last!

Pearly

5 Year Member
All mine all spineless (almost all native species), but I just got some spineless Opuntia from Len, which I'm trying to grow in Steve's outdoor enclosure. Of course, he's been nibbling on it before the darn thing even put roots down. ;) We'll see how long they last!
I think I'm gonna bargain some deal with Len after I get back from FLA at the end of the summer. Hopefully I have something he wants for some of his cactus:)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I think I'm gonna bargain some deal with Len after I get back from FLA at the end of the summer. Hopefully I have something he wants for some of his cactus:)
Yes, I'm definitely in his debt!