Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Some cactus haveView attachment 208085 View attachment 208086 View attachment 208089 View attachment 208088 some cactus have started blooming here in the Northern Neck. I like the way this type changes color as the day goes on.Some pics taken just after the morning sun light hit the plants and a couple taken this evening.
This is a Stenocerus therberi (organ pipe cactus):

View attachment 208196

My daughter called me to tell me that someone was parked on the street alongside my house and the people were up the hill by my cactus. So I went out there to take a look, but by the time I got there they were gone. Anyway, I saw this cactus when I looked over the fence. The flowers only bloom once, at night, and I missed the bloom by a day. They're just gorgeous - a sight to behold. I'm sorry I missed it.

This one is planted just outside my side door, and in front of the old house I use for storage. It's Cereus peruvianus. It blooms at night too, but I didn't miss this one. The first picture is the day before it bloomed:

View attachment 208197 View attachment 208198 View attachment 208199
I just love cactus flowers! Someday I hope my Opuntia flowers!! :rolleyes:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Albizzia or Mimosa Tree. Flowers smell incredibly good and can be made into a medicinal tea.
I'd love to try that tea! ;)

Finally posting some pictures from around our backyard since some things have actually grown. Hubby's been really in love with columbine lately and it's quite happy this year. He said columbine can kind of have a four-year life cycle?

columbine4.jpg

Our yellow-twig dogwood has grown more probably just in the past week. It's been rainy the last couple days. Behind him is one of our beloved pines. We want them taller for a natural fence!

dogwood.jpg

We're hoping to sneak a couple serviceberries to try for ourselves before all the cedar waxwings get at them. The plant is already taller than hubby.

serviceberry.jpg

More columbine:

columbine5.jpg

The chives are in bloom, next to sugar snap peas and broccoli. Stevie enjoys the occasional broccoli leaf treat.

peas_chives_broccoli.jpg

Our raspberry bushes are happy. The cocoon thing on one of the plants hadn't opened yet, the last time I looked. I'll look again once it dries up outside.

raspberries_oregano.jpg

Here's my giant miniature rose bush. :p I forgot to trim the branches this spring ... again. My turtlehead is on the left, with the thinner leaves, much bigger this year! There's a little strawberry plant too; we were using the fencing to keep out rabbits but I want to put up something that looks nicer.

turtlehead_rose.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
We've had rain all week, but today we had beaks of sun in between the showers. took a couple pics.The first pic was taken just as the blooms were starting to change color.Copy of Picture 011.jpg The next is of my biggest blooms this one is over 5 inches.Copy of Picture 014.jpg The last is peaches that are on a volunteer peach tree that started growing in a pot where i throw peach seeds when feeding the box turtles.This year it started with over 30Picture 005.jpg peaches but over half have fallen off. If I planted the tree in the ground it would most likely do much better.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
We've had rain all week, but today we had beaks of sun in between the showers. took a couple pics.The first pic was taken just as the blooms were starting to change color.View attachment 208548 The next is of my biggest blooms this one is over 5 inches.View attachment 208549 The last is peaches that are on a volunteer peach tree that started growing in a pot where i throw peach seeds when feeding the box turtles.This year it started with over 30View attachment 208550 peaches but over half have fallen off. If I planted the tree in the ground it would most likely do much better.
Absolutely gorgeous blooms! :<3::<3:

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
We've had rain all week, but today we had beaks of sun in between the showers. took a couple pics.The first pic was taken just as the blooms were starting to change color.View attachment 208548 The next is of my biggest blooms this one is over 5 inches.View attachment 208549 The last is peaches that are on a volunteer peach tree that started growing in a pot where i throw peach seeds when feeding the box turtles.This year it started with over 30View attachment 208550 peaches but over half have fallen off. If I planted the tree in the ground it would most likely do much better.

Great shot with the bee!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I still just find something unnatural I guess about cactus blooming. They are so beautiful though.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Last fall I cut these from a couple palms that I believe are some type of needle palm. If they are viable seeds any one have any suggestions on how to plant them ?Picture 004.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Turtulas Len made me jealous of his banana trees so I went out and shot a few springtime pictures of what I have growing and blooming:

I think this is called pineapple guava:

View attachment 207069 View attachment 207070 View attachment 207071 View attachment 207072 View attachment 207073

This is a Cholla or teddy bear cactus. I just LOVE the color of the bloom:

View attachment 207074

View attachment 207075

My husband brought this one back from one of his motorcycle trips. It was either a packet of seeds or a tiny 1" potted plant. I've been growing this saguaro for over 30 years. I'm holding the camera even with my eyes, and the top of the cactus is even with my nose. In another 30 years it may sprout a couple arms! That is, if I don't kill it first:

View attachment 207076 View attachment 207077 View attachment 207078

Notice the brown spot on the trunk just below the head of the plant. The picture following this one is what used to be growing out of that brown spot. This is either an aloe or an agave. I can never remember which. This is another one that I bought in a tiny 1" pot and eventually planted in the ground:

View attachment 207079 View attachment 207080

The next three pictures show my giant Cereus peruvianus. It was over 20' tall. Last week it decided it was tired of holding up those heavy branches and three of them broke off.

View attachment 207081 View attachment 207082 View attachment 207084 View attachment 207085 View attachment 207086

The next two pictures are my lovely banana trees - @Turtulas-Len - eat your heart out!!!

View attachment 207087 View attachment 207088 View attachment 207089
I've never had any luck keeping African violets alive, however, my daughter gave me these a couple years ago because she didn't want them anymore, and I've been able to keep them alive and blooming!! Hooray for me:

View attachment 207090

View attachment 207091
Yvonne I'm moving in with you once the kids move out, I'll clean/cook for you and be your medical emergency assistant for your rescue, all for room and board somewhere on your property if you just let me spend few hrs a day potsing around your gardens and your animals, your know, pull a weed here and there, deaedhead some flowers, thin sime seedlings... bathe some torts... I will be a good worker:) Your cacti are AMAZING!!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Last fall I cut these from a couple palms that I believe are some type of needle palm. If they are viable seeds any one have any suggestions on how to plant them ?View attachment 208678
I brought some palm berries from Florida and threw some on top of the soil others I coveres with layer of compost. The covered ones grew, but with our 2-3 days of freeze every winter, they die back and have to start over every year. I don't have a green house to keep them first few yrs in better conditions. I florida I have also planted couple of big coconuts that had fallen off the tree, and seed of Royal Palm (size of hazelnut) the Royal Palm is much taller them my mom's house with it's trunk big enough I can hide behind... so they do grow! They like well (very porous) drained soil and lots of sun, most. Those berries you have so many that you can experiment. Let them dry out in the sun and cure. Then throw some on the ground in few different spots where they will likely get water daily, put few in the pots that you can protect from freeze in winter. The ones that you bury in soil, cover with some compost and water daily throughout summer. See what happens. I'm curious. You have actually given me an idea of doing it this summer when we are in South Florida. There are so many species of palm tree and so many of them drop their berries I should try that myself. Why didn't i think of it before???!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne I'm moving in with you once the kids move out, I'll clean/cook for you and be your medical emergency assistant for your rescue, all for room and board somewhere on your property if you just let me spend few hrs a day potsing around your gardens and your animals, your know, pull a weed here and there, deaedhead some flowers, thin sime seedlings... bathe some torts... I will be a good worker:) Your cacti are AMAZING!!!!

You'd probably get bored pretty quickly, but, there's a spare bedroom and bathroom whenever you're ready.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I brought some palm berries from Florida and threw some on top of the soil others I coveres with layer of compost. The covered ones grew, but with our 2-3 days of freeze every winter, they die back and have to start over every year. I don't have a green house to keep them first few yrs in better conditions. I florida I have also planted couple of big coconuts that had fallen off the tree, and seed of Royal Palm (size of hazelnut) the Royal Palm is much taller them my mom's house with it's trunk big enough I can hide behind... so they do grow! They like well (very porous) drained soil and lots of sun, most. Those berries you have so many that you can experiment. Let them dry out in the sun and cure. Then throw some on the ground in few different spots where they will likely get water daily, put few in the pots that you can protect from freeze in winter. The ones that you bury in soil, cover with some compost and water daily throughout summer. See what happens. I'm curious. You have actually given me an idea of doing it this summer when we are in South Florida. There are so many species of palm tree and so many of them drop their berries I should try that myself. Why didn't i think of it before???!!!!

I'm always on the lookout for palm trees that grow fruit because it's a regular in the YFs diet. I'd surely appreciate it if you would gather some seeds for me too.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I found all my palms at walmart, lowes, and homedepot. I wasn't expecting them to do very well in the weather climate here in the northern neck of virginia, but they have done great. I think I am just going to stick some in the ground at different places around the yard and at different depths, that's how I do the cactus seeds. some germinate and some don't. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I'm always on the lookout for palm trees that grow fruit because it's a regular in the YFs diet. I'd surely appreciate it if you would gather some seeds for me too.
Picture 008.jpg Picture 007.jpg Picture 006.jpg There are already 3 stems up that are more coming out of the ground,(the last pic) also in the last pic is a migrating small banana tree that if It has roots at the base and would survive transplanting I will send it so you will have the same type that I grow along with all the seeds from this summer. I just need your address I had it but can't find it ..If that tree doesn't have enough roots yet I will dig one that does.

Pearly

5 Year Member
This is my mission for this summer. Will take pics of the mature palm tree and number them and the corresponding berries/seeds. And sometime in September/october after they are all dry I'll be happy to send you some seeds

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
View attachment 208726 View attachment 208727 View attachment 208728 There are already 3 stems up that are more coming out of the ground,(the last pic) also in the last pic is a migrating small banana tree that if It has roots at the base and would survive transplanting I will send it so you will have the same type that I grow along with all the seeds from this summer. I just need your address I had it but can't find it ..If that tree doesn't have enough roots yet I will dig one that does.

My banana trees now have growth that's about 1' out of the ground. I know there are different varieties, but really? Yours look almost as tall as a man and mine are still only a foot tall? Thank goodness the tortoises that live in there don't eat banana tree leaves or I'd never get to see them as big trees!!!!

Len B

10 Year Member!
My banana trees now have growth that's about 1' out of the ground. I know there are different varieties, but really? Yours look almost as tall as a man and mine are still only a foot tall? Thank goodness the tortoises that live in there don't eat banana tree leaves or I'd never get to see them as big trees!!!!
They have grown since the last pic , Took this about 5:30 this afternoon.The golf cart roof (bronze colored thing on the left) is over 6 1/2 feet off the ground.Picture 072.jpgI'm hoping they grow bigger this year, I left all the tree trunks and leaves from last year under them to help keep the ground moist when our dry season comes later this summer.Everything seems to be working it's way through it.