Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A few days ago someone mentioned in a post they were looking for some wild violets. I can't find the post and can't remember who it was or even what part of the world they are in. Anyway, when I was cutting grass I remembered it when I cut through a patch of violets. So if whoever it is lives in the States I would gladly send them a bunchPicture 152.jpg of these small plants from my lawn.Picture 155.jpg I'm not sure it was on this thread either, could have been anywhere...

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
A few days ago someone mentioned in a post they were looking for some wild violets. I can't find the post and can't remember who it was or even what part of the world they are in. Anyway, when I was cutting grass I remembered it when I cut through a patch of violets. So if whoever it is lives in the States I would gladly send them a bunchView attachment 210481 of these small plants from my lawn.View attachment 210482 I'm not sure it was on this thread either, could have been anywhere...
Oh that white Rose of Sharon is stunning!!!! So you grew it from a seed?????

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Our native Opuntia bloomed! Hurrah! I love the dual colors! This grows in the western Michigan counties where the soil is much sandier on the shores of Lake Michigan. :)

native_opuntia2.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498257706.828938.jpgone of my hardy hibiscus in the Tortoise Garden has really taken off and blooming, the others... i'm not sure, one looks like it gets way too hot/dry where it is, if it makes it through this summer I'll move it in early fall to a better spot.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498257885.303756.jpg Shellie chomps down on those huge flowers, Tucker kinda ignores them for now

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498258119.506519.jpg another "hibiscus-like" perennial- Rock Rose, haven't looked it up but should be ok in case ingested by tortoise. The flower is about 2" across and it's considered one of Texas native plants

Len B

10 Year Member!
View attachment 211049one of my hardy hibiscus in the Tortoise Garden has really taken off and blooming, the others... i'm not sure, one looks like it gets way too hot/dry where it is, if it makes it through this summer I'll move it in early fall to a better spot.View attachment 211050 Shellie chomps down on those huge flowers, Tucker kinda ignores them for now
I've never had any luck growing hardy hibiscus, so I don't even try anymore.

Pearly

5 Year Member
But look at this treat I got for you Guys today from my Mom! This is one of my all time favotites: ROYAL POINCIANA!!! They are beginning their blooming season now in S. Fla

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498337705.110970.jpgmore mango fruit on my Mom's tree. They are about a size of a rugby ball. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498337755.182399.jpg she's freezing some of them that were getting good and ripe. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498337866.710703.jpg here in Texas we can now enjoy our crape myrtles. I took bunch of kids to our subdivision pool yesterday and took this picture. This year something has been eating the crape myrtles' buds bfr they open up, they have never looked this "chewed on" before. Usually by now their branches would be getting heavy with flowers... oh well, probably one more worm/bug population taking off put of control due to us messing with our ecosystem. Every year there seems to be something new

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
View attachment 211049one of my hardy hibiscus in the Tortoise Garden has really taken off and blooming, the others... i'm not sure, one looks like it gets way too hot/dry where it is, if it makes it through this summer I'll move it in early fall to a better spot.View attachment 211050 Shellie chomps down on those huge flowers, Tucker kinda ignores them for now
Keep up on watering them and they should do OK. Some grow faster than others for us here. It's kind of strange; we haven't figured it out yet.
View attachment 211051 another "hibiscus-like" perennial- Rock Rose, haven't looked it up but should be ok in case ingested by tortoise. The flower is about 2" across and it's considered one of Texas native plants
That is definitely a Hibiscus spp. It looks more like a tropical variety; very pretty! :D

Nice poinciana and mango trees! My husband would be jealous—it's his favorite fruit. You can sure make a lot of mango smoothies!! ;)

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
I am so jealous of all these lovely plants. Growing stuff where i live just sucks. Had some cactus almost going and it rained for 4 days straight. As for the rest there is no soil, just sandy crap bleh. Had some elephant ear plants also started and somehoe they also drowned. Tried to get some of the tortoise foraging blend going from seeds i ordered and got a few blades of grass. What i have tried in pots kinda starts off slow and stays small forever.

Pearly

5 Year Member
My favorite of the day lillies i have. it's a triple bloom, This one is for Gene, a Bearded Dragon.View attachment 211356
Oh! That daylily!!!! I used to have one just like that, got just couple of very small "fans" (divisions) from my friend 20 yrs ago. It took off and in few yrs I was dividing them, it did so well in my garden. I think it was this lily that my friend was telling me grew wild on road sides in S-East Texas close to the Gulf coast. My lilies were thriving until one year I was very pregnant with my twins and not able to do any gardening that spring so decided to hire small landscaping company to do the clean up and put down layer of mulch in my flower beds. The owner knew his plants and seemed pretty "with it"... he even offered to put down compost under my perennials and acidify my azaleas and hydrangeas, well... the next day I went to work and his crew came in... i got home that night to almost no visible plants, just few shrubs and mulch everywhere. I let him talk me into believing that the "light fluffy" mulch over the perennials would just protect them until they were ready to burst in growth season... That Spring I lost all of my azaleas, hydrangeas, most day-lilies and many other perennials. They never came back. I was so heart sick, but busy trying to work with belly size of a beach ball and 1.5 yr old baby at home, I didn't have the energy to demand fixing the issue. I paid them, those poor workers he had that day really did work very hard all they, pulling weeds and MULCHING. They needed to be compensated for their hard labor but that owner..., uggghhh!!!! Not ok! I hate it when someone decides to cheat thinking that I wouldn't know. That just insults my intelligence. But enough of that, it's just seeing your lily made me miss mine soooo much!!!! If you are ever at the point of dividing them and have surplus of one or couple "fans" I'd get in line for it, either to trade for some of my pretty perennials or I'd just pay you so pls keep me in mind for this one:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498715320.217301.jpgdo you guys know what this may be? I think it's one of the cool plant that I got in our little hippie Austin nursery, but can't recall what it wasImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498715431.833750.jpgleaves almost maple-like. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498715465.333699.jpgand I don't think maple tree would be growing in this fashion... plus, why on earth would i be buying maple trees?! I have too many as it is in my back yard, trimming them down is expensive

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Turtulas-Len - a couple years ago, maybe even 3 or 4, you sent me some hardy hibiscus seeds. I planted them outside my front gate, and it was hard to remember to water them, but they grew and bloomed. Last fall when they died back I decided to move them to a 'better remembered' place, a place where they would get more water, and I planted them in the Manouria rain forest. What I moved and planted were just root balls, and I had no idea if they would survive or not. So this past Spring I noticed some strange kind of plants coming up in the rain forest, and it took me a week or so to finally pull up the memory. It was your hardy hibiscus!!! They're growing, but rather slowly. In the first picture one is on the far right and the other is on the far left. Then I'm showing a close-up of one of them.

hardy hibiscus a.jpg hardy hibiscus b.jpg

I received some opuntia cuttings a few weeks ago from a nice Forum member. One of them isn't doing well, and probably isn't going to make it (first picture), but the other of the same species is growing and has two new little "padlets" on it. The other pictures are other cuttings received and they're doing excellent:

opuntia cuttings a.jpg opuntia cuttings b.jpg opuntia cuttings c.jpg opuntia cutttings d.jpg

"They" say you're not supposed to say 'thank you' for plants given to you or they won't grow, but I'm not superstitious, so THANK YOU for these cuttings! I truly appreciate it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
@Turtulas-Len - a couple years ago, maybe even 3 or 4, you sent me some hardy hibiscus seeds. I planted them outside my front gate, and it was hard to remember to water them, but they grew and bloomed. Last fall when they died back I decided to move them to a 'better remembered' place, a place where they would get more water, and I planted them in the Manouria rain forest. What I moved and planted were just root balls, and I had no idea if they would survive or not. So this past Spring I noticed some strange kind of plants coming up in the rain forest, and it took me a week or so to finally pull up the memory. It was your hardy hibiscus!!! They're growing, but rather slowly. In the first picture one is on the far right and the other is on the far left. Then I'm showing a close-up of one of them.

View attachment 211377 View attachment 211378

I received some opuntia cuttings a few weeks ago from a nice Forum member. One of them isn't doing well, and probably isn't going to make it (first picture), but the other of the same species is growing and has two new little "padlets" on it. The other pictures are other cuttings received and they're doing excellent:

View attachment 211379 View attachment 211380 View attachment 211381 View attachment 211382

"They" say you're not supposed to say 'thank you' for plants given to you or they won't grow, but I'm not superstitious, so THANK YOU for these cuttings! I truly appreciate it.
The hibiscus is the last plant to emerge in spring here, but once they break ground under the right conditions they catch up quick, mine are about 5 ft tall and I'm going to top them soon to make them bush out. If you look at where the leaf meets the stem you will see a new stem starting.When you top the plant it helps the new stem grow out and produce blooms.Picture 259 copy.jpgAlso a updated pic of some of the banana trees Picture 270.jpg