critique my eggs, please (Now incl. pipping and popping)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I'm so excited! I can't wait to see this little lazy butt tortoise! ;) And wait... you just found those eggs?!!! How long do you think they were under the ground before you found them?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm so excited! I can't wait to see this little lazy butt tortoise! ;) And wait... you just found those eggs?!!! How long do you think they were under the ground before you found them?
No more than two days.
It's an area I search regularly because I've found so many there.
The hibiscus has been relocated to keep that area productive.
I left the eggs in the egg carton and placed the whole thing into my makeshift incubator.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The closed chamber that I'm going to raise my hatchlings in (Getting ahead of myself?) will have a daytime temp of 84-85 and a night time temp of 75-77.
Humidity will hover around 82%
Do hatchlings need it warmer?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The closed chamber that I'm going to raise my hatchlings in (Getting ahead of myself?) will have a daytime temp of 84-85 and a night time temp of 75-77.
Humidity will hover around 82%
Do hatchlings need it warmer?
Mine are 80/85f in day, humidity 80%+. With moist moss for them to hide in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This weekend, I'm setting up my Hovabator, and my new Reptibator to hatch eggs.
Then one 10 gallon tank with paper towels and an incandescent heat lamp and strip UVB for pipping and just hatched babies.
Next to that will be my closed chamber set up with orchid bark with the parameters discussed in my last post.
I will raise the fully formed young in this enclosure until they are large enough to go outside into my fully enclosed baby pen. Formerly a hospital pen for Queen Bertha.
It'll be a fully ready to go set up. Ready for anything..............
(should be)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Temperature drop at night, I'm guessing?
My night time temps fluctuate depending on the outside temperatures. With the amount of heat I have going into my tortoise house it will do about 25°c above outside temps max, and I have it maxed out at 30°c setting. So it should never go above 30°c. At night if it drops to 0°c the tort house hovers around 25°c. On occasions I measured night time readings at 22/23°c (73f). I've had no poorly baby torts.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This weekend, I'm setting up my Hovabator, and my new Reptibator to hatch eggs.
Then one 10 gallon tank with paper towels and an incandescent heat lamp and strip UVB for pipping and just hatched babies.
Next to that will be my closed chamber set up with orchid bark with the parameters discussed in my last post.
I will raise the fully formed young in this enclosure until they are large enough to go outside into my fully enclosed baby pen. Formerly a hospital pen for Queen Bertha.
It'll be a fully ready to go set up. Ready for anything..............
(should be)
Ed, I maybe misunderstanding something here. Why the incandescent heat lamp.
What is it and what watt is it. (Bet you can't say that last sentence 10 times, FAST. Lol)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ed, I maybe misunderstanding something here. Why the incandescent heat lamp.
What is it and what watt is it. (Bet you can't say that last sentence 10 times, FAST. Lol)
I have a 60 watt incandescent over the small tank that I have ready for newly hatched babies.
That and a strip uvb

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a 60 watt incandescent over the small tank that I have ready for newly hatched babies.
That and a strip uvb
I wouldn't subject your tiny hatchling to any incandescent bulbs, it will dry the Carapace out and contribute to pyramiding. You can have it as humid as you like, directly under the bulb will be less humid than the rest of the enclosure.
Can you use a 60watt CHE instead, and even then make it so your tort can't sit under the CHE.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I wouldn't subject your tiny hatchling to any incandescent bulbs, it will dry the Carapace out and contribute to pyramiding. You can have it as humid as you like, directly under the bulb will be less humid than the rest of the enclosure.
Can you use a 60watt CHE instead, and even then make it so your tort can't sit under the CHE.
Yes. I can also use a CHE.
I actually have a few of them thanks.
It will be up and ready this evening.