critique my eggs, please (Now incl. pipping and popping)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ed. Does number 4 look like it has lighter color borders between scutes.
No. They are all pretty much the same.
It's curious why yours have lighter colored "grout" between the tiles than mine. Since so far the climate has been artificial and can't have been influenced by my tropical location yet. So far yours and mine have had very similar parameters.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
No. They are all pretty much the same.
It's curious why yours have lighter colored "grout" between the tiles than mine. Since so far the climate has been artificial and can't have been influenced by my tropical location yet. So far yours and mine have had very similar parameters.
I know, I was wondering if it's because mine exited the eggs earlier(too early). But you said your number 4 exited early and has no grout. (grout, OMG, Lol)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know, I was wondering if it's because mine exited the eggs earlier(too early). But you said your number 4 exited early and has no grout. (grout, OMG, Lol)
It looks like grout.
These all took about 5 months to hatch
Incubated at 83-84 degrees with high humidity (above 80%)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It looks like grout.
These all took about 5 months to hatch
Incubated at 83-84 degrees with high humidity (above 80%)
I've had 106 to 181 days from 2 different females, 80/90% humidity at 82 to 85f and all have the grout look.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Where in your incubator do you check humidity. If I put probe right next to an egg on the vermiculite it always reads 90%+.
Think your right about genetics though, maybe it's one of my males.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Where in your incubator do you check humidity. If I put probe right next to an egg on the vermiculite it always reads 90%+.
Think your right about genetics though, maybe it's one of my males.
These were all raised in my closed chamber-turned-incubator. It has a digital humidity and temp gauge velcroed on to the back glass. Probably not dead reliable. But consistent.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
I have been wodering why we do vermiculite. Here is a Facebook video from a Redfoot form in Central America. He has amazing Hatch rates and uses a blue plastic or silicone substrate the whole time.

Not sure if you can see that video.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vi...w_text=false&appId=475872702440664&height=280" width="500" height="280" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Good question.
I think it's just because of the way it holds humidity. It gets messy and I've got a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and moss now in my new incubator tubs.

Ekafairy

5 Year Member
North Florida
I just "candled" all of the eggs again and found that some are truly weird. Some are clear with dark masses. A few no light will pass through at all. Some are still transparent pink or yellow including two that I found to be cracked and leaking.
I removed the two.
Clearly rotten. Both from November.
Discouraged, I did a mini dig outside and quickly uncovered these two HUGE eggs. These are every bit as large as chicken eggs but rounder.
So my red foot played her first clutch of 4 eggs on November 8. On March 13 the first one hatched. Now I've candled the remaining 3,one is so dark I can't see through, one is pinkish, and the other is pinkish but cracked 7 days ago. Thought maybe it was going to hatch. I never candled the eggs before that one cracked. I guess it's toast. It doesn't smell so I was hoping ....