ZooMed Housing

RachelP

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
I am going to be getting a Russian tortoise later this year, and I am trying to figure out what would be the best housing for one. I have been looking at the ZooMed tortoise house for the winter and colder months, as well as if I am away from home for long periods of time during the day, so like when I am school. Would this be okay?

I was also looking at getting the ZooMed tortoise playpen for outdoors. It seems like it is a good quality, but as during the warmer months I would want to keep the tortoise outside more, I am not sure if the size is fine. Would this be big enough, or should I look into doing something bigger for the outdoor enclosure?

I know this might be somewhat silly questions but I want to know everything I can before getting my new friend.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The zoo med prefabbed homes are too small for any tortoise older then hatchling size. An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot

Destben

Kansas
For a hatchling it would be fine for a short while but only for out door time. Torts need room to roam and babies need higher temps and humidity and you cannot provide that with a zoo med tortoise house without some major modifications.

RachelP

Phoenix, Arizona
The zoo med prefabbed homes are too small for any tortoise older then hatchling size. An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot
Would it be okay for a few hours a day though, like when I am at class? I just wouldn't feel okay leaving one outside that long when I am not home. I would make a secure outdoor enclosure but I would still be really paranoid about something happening.

Destben

Kansas
Would it be okay for a few hours a day though, like when I am at class? I just wouldn't feel okay leaving one outside that long when I am not home. I would make a secure outdoor enclosure but I would still be really paranoid about something happening.
Babies can over heat or get cold easily it would probably be better if you built or bought an indoor enclosure that you can regulate temps and humidity in till the little one is big enough to hold his temps better and doesn't rely on humidity for smooth shell growth. That is not saying he cant go outside, but it would be safer if it is supervised visits outside till the baby is bigger.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it would be okay for that and okay for night time. Not okay for winter if you have cold winters or as a permanent indoor enclosure.

Destben

Kansas
Babies can over heat or get cold easily it would probably be better if you built or bought an indoor enclosure that you can regulate temps and humidity in till the little one is big enough to hold his temps better and doesn't rely on humidity for smooth shell growth. That is not saying he cant go outside, but it would be safer if it is supervised visits outside till the baby is bigger.
assuming it is a baby. if not then it would be way to small either way. walking helps them digest food.