Zoo Med Play Pen Question.

Spidey777

Location (City and/or State)
Montreal
Hey Guys!

With the weather slowly getting warmer I'm looking at options to give my little Michelangelo ( baby Hermann's) some outdoor playtime. I found this playpen from zoomed.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00167VVIG/?tag=

My question however is as followed: he's definitely a burrower. He spends most of his day and night burrowed in his bedding. Wouldn't he be able to just dig right under and out from this? I mean why would zoomed make something that I feel is very easy to escape from, am i missing something?

Also, do rodent cages work for tortoises? Any reason why or why not?

thanks for the help everyone <3

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
How much space do you have in your yard?

Tortoises need to have lots of area to walk, graze, and find a shady spot to sleep.

That playpen is so tiny! I think you should take the money and instead buy some lumber and build him a space he can explore, the bigger the better.

Spidey777

Montreal
How much space do you have in your yard?

Tortoises need to have lots of area to walk, graze, and find a shady spot to sleep.

That playpen is so tiny! I think you should take the money and instead buy some lumber and build him a space he can explore, the bigger the better.

he’s a baby Hermann’s, 2 inches wide at most. He can walk around this thing for hours. Space isn’t my concern. My question was about escaping by digging.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hey Guys!

With the weather slowly getting warmer I'm looking at options to give my little Michelangelo ( baby Hermann's) some outdoor playtime. I found this playpen from zoomed.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00167VVIG/?tag=

My question however is as followed: he's definitely a burrower. He spends most of his day and night burrowed in his bedding. Wouldn't he be able to just dig right under and out from this? I mean why would zoomed make something that I feel is very easy to escape from, am i missing something?

Also, do rodent cages work for tortoises? Any reason why or why not?

thanks for the help everyone <3
You could easily build something for less than half the cost of that. 4- pressure treated boards, 4- 2x2 boards for a lid, some screws, hinges, and hardware cloth for the top and bottom would run you about $50